Names...

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 2nd, 2011, 10:44 PM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
OK, my wonderful "May 2012 DDC" (you didn't know you'd have to be my DDC twice, since I didn't join the May DDC !)... before I go to bed, I figured I would write this out and clear my head and maybe get your thoughts or further suggestions... Keep in mind, DH and I have not talked names out together. Generally, I have a list and he tells me yay or nay, but he's not SUPER picky or too awful far from my style, so we do tend to eventually agree

Names I like the most, but am still sitting on to see if I love ANY of them:

Kesta: feminine form of Kester (Scottish), a derivative of Christopher, and it means bearer of Christ. I was turned to this name by an amazing name expert on FF this morning and I REALLY loved it this a.m. and have mulled it over and am liking it now. Not sure I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it, but it's a good start!

Kassidy: clever (Irish) or curly haired (English) (too popular? I still really like the name and DH's only concern is popularity)

Keeva: (Irish) beautiful, precious, protector, gentle. Do I love it? Is it feminine enough? It's pretty popular in Ireland, I think...

Maybe GEMMA and our other sisters across the pond can give me some other wonderful authentic name ideas!!!

ETA more names I've been given and I like (maybe love)...

Kersey - her sister, it's a Cornish surname but also a town in Suffolk here where they made a coarse linen called kersey. We (they) have no real connection to it but all British towns will have a tea-towel with the name and some local buildings on it so she has dishtowels with her name on it from there.

Keresley - 'meadow/clearing' of a man named Cenhere

Ketton - town that takes it's name from the river, means 'wood river'

Kitley - surname from placename, means 'wood with kites' (the birds, not the toys but hey, either one creates a pretty mental picture)

Names I like, but have SOME issue with:

Kallista: means most beautiful (Irish/English) but would a nn of Callie/Kallie be too close to Kellen? and... Alyssa is REALLY popular (like #20 in 2010 and around there for a few years), so I don't want names that are super close in sound to popular names...

Karissa (I can't remember the meaning), but it's French, German, Italian, Latin... not Irish/English/Welsh/Scottish... would it clash with the others?

Kiera/Kira: meaning means dark. Not sure about that, and it's kind of popular right now, which we don't really want. But I like it, so it's on the list.

Kara: no real issue, just not sure I LOVE it, but it's certainly on the list... means pure, sweet melody (English) or friend (Irish) (thought you'd vote for this one, Kara )

Keaton: hawk's town, but it is much more popular as a boy's name, so it's on the list, but with hesitation

Camdyn (Kamdyn) and Kambryn: like them both, but Cameron has bad history to me AND the name is very popular with BOTH boys and girls, so it WAS on the list, but it's off... but just wanted you to know my tastes and thoughts...

Kerine: Family name of DH's. I can't remember what it means, but I think it's a decent meaning. I'm only afraid of the nn Kerry, which I don't want.

Kelby: cute, means dark haired (uh, yeah, praying that since this is a girl that she's MY REDHEAD!!!) or place by flowing water, but it's waaay too close to Kellen and Kensley both (kind of like a combo to them).

Karys: I like the name, means Love in Welsh (Carys is original spelling), but not sure I love it, yet.

Kabria... (or Kebria), not sure I love them, but they sound pretty and mean "quiet one" in English.

Kelise... I saw it somewhere, but can not find a meaning to it. If I can't find one, I'm crossing it off because it's one of those recent made-up names, and I'm not into that so much.

Karia, similar to Kabria/Kebria... I like it, not sure I love it, and it means blessed, pure, holy in English. I would pronounce it "Kuh-RYE-uh" but if it's supposed to be "KAY-ree-uh" or "Kay-REE-uh" or "KAY-rye-uh" I'm not into. Not real keen on the Kay possibility for a nickname. Not sure I like it if it's also "Kuh-REE-uh" (like the country) either...

There's others I've quickly considered and tossed because I found bad associations with or they are too close to my kiddos names or whatever:
Kelsey
Kennedy
Kenna
Kesley
Kaylen
Kendra
There's more of those, but I can't remember them and since they are off the list, I try to get them out of my head

Thanks for looking and any thoughts you have!

Oh, and Amy (Max's mommy)... Kedzie is ranked # 5384 in 2010 Yes... I looked at ALL top 6,000 girl names from 2010 that were listed on name nerds, courtesy of the Social Security Admin.

I'm crazy.

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!

Last edited by redbirds; December 3rd, 2011 at 07:12 AM.
December 2nd, 2011, 11:08 PM
Oh, yeah...

There's also Kylie or Kyler, but my DH is a teacher and got SO BURNT on Kyle a few years ago that he's not real smitten on these... plus Kylie is pretty popular in these parts, so these names are off...

God. I need to go to bed and shut my brain off.

December 2nd, 2011, 11:19 PM
Pupcake74's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hmmm I noticed Kermit was on neither list.

December 2nd, 2011, 11:52 PM
-Trish-'s Avatar Mom to 3boys & a Princess
Wow....a lot of great names there! I don't know how you'll ever choose!

If not Kemper, how about Kember?I don't know, I suck at this!

Thank you so much Alethia for my GORGEOUS siggy!!

December 3rd, 2011, 01:58 AM
Gemum
Just to let you know, i'll have a think and post later tonight. It's my brothers birthday today so won't be on really til Jay is sleeping tonight!
December 3rd, 2011, 04:00 AM
alethia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I really like the name Kelsie, Kamdyn and Kesta (very unique!) you've got a great list.... i think maybe you should keep the list, step back for a few weeks well you're learning babies personality more and then revisit
December 3rd, 2011, 06:43 AM
Hi, Trish... Yes, I thought of something like that, but I am really reserving my Kemper (or anything similar) for IF we get an oops or decide to try and get a boy. You never know

December 3rd, 2011, 06:44 AM
Meggie26's Avatar Megan
Send a message via MSN to Meggie26
I vote for Kiera (was on my list if Kierson were a girl!), Kassidy, Kenna, Karys, Karissa (I think this is my favorite!).

Its SO hard choosing girl names!!! I agree with Alethia though. Oh, and I wanted to let you know my Ellie was TEN days old before she even had a name. I couldn't decide at the hospital so she went home "Baby Girl ___" I'm so glad I waited because her name fits her perfectly!

December 3rd, 2011, 07:11 AM
OH, Devon from FF (the amazing name woman!) supplied me with a couple more and I like them:

Kersey - her sister, it's a Cornish surname but also a town in Suffolk here where they made a coarse linen called kersey. We (they) have no real connection to it but all British towns will have a tea-towel with the name and some local buildings on it so she has dishtowels with her name on it from there.

Keresley - 'meadow/clearing' of a man named Cenhere

Ketton - town that takes it's name from the river, means 'wood river'

Kitley - surname from placename, means 'wood with kites' (the birds, not the toys but hey, either one creates a pretty mental picture)

I'm also editing my OP to add these, as eventually, I'm just using this thread for record, or will cut and paste everything into some sort of doc to keep ideas!

December 3rd, 2011, 08:52 AM
kemper2.0's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think Keeva is my favorite out of the names you listed Keaton I could see going either way, boy or girl. I've only ever known one Keaton and it was a boy. I like it equally for a girl though.

Kat, mommy to Gideon (9-8-10) and Arie (7-6-12), and Evangeline River (3-27-14)

December 3rd, 2011, 10:24 AM
klsfl10's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
[QUOTE=redbirds;25276602]

Kara: no real issue, just not sure I LOVE it, but it's certainly on the list... means pure, sweet melody (English) or friend (Irish) (thought you'd vote for this one, Kara )

LOL, I do like my name but no one EVER gets it right when you say it and I'm doomed to either giving in and answering to Sarah, Karen, and oddly frequently "Aara" or spelling it and people still trying to use a "C".

Oh, and since I speak really quickly when I say "my name is Kara" over the phone I sometimes get "your name is Skara?"

I do like the Kyler suggestion!! I've always loved that name and had a friend named that when I was younger.

YAY for baby names

Last edited by klsfl10; December 3rd, 2011 at 10:32 AM.
December 3rd, 2011, 10:35 AM
white.house's Avatar Kelli
Keaton is my favorite off of your list! What about Keagan?

TBH I really don't like Keeva or Kesta NMSAA.
You have SO many on your list though! Wow! I can't wait to see what you choose!

eli grey [9.15.10]
jude lawrence [11.9.12]

forever loving our best girl, finley [born still 10.30.11]
December 3rd, 2011, 01:39 PM
Gemum
These are all Scottish...

Kenina- form of Kenneth, (but probably too close to Kensley)
Kerium- Dark haired (probably not applicable )
Kayna- a saints name
Karenza/Karensa- love
Kelleeka- strong willed, caring and loving good charm, (probably too close to Kellen)
Kenwyn- a saints name (too close to Kensley)
Kenzy/Kenzie- the fair one (too close to Kensley)
Kerye- Dark eyed (nickname Kerry will be applicable though)
Kinnel(unisex name)- dweller at the head of a cliff ()
Kaci/Caci- brave
Cadha/Kadha- from the steep place
Caerlion- voice of god
Cailan-/Kailan- child
Caileen/Caylin- girl/lass
Cairistiona- follower of christ
Caitrin- pure
Caja- daisy
Camelot- Arthurs castle
Chariste- beloved one
Ciorstan/Ciorstag- Christian

These are all feminines of Kyle:
Kylah
Kyli
Kyley
Kylin
Kylianne

Other random names-

Kaelah- Keeper of the keys
Kaerae - Caring, loving
Kairos - Last born goddess...
Kaisa- Pure
Kaisra- The rising sun
Kalani- The heavens
Kantha- Name of a god
Karrae- Gods golden angel
Kassidy- Clever
Katlyn- Pure
Keaton- Hawks town
Keitha- Female warrior
Kerena- Pure one
Kerria- Japanese rose
Kesara/Kesari- Youthful
Kevia- Beautiul child

I'm sleepy...
December 3rd, 2011, 07:29 PM
Thanks, ladies!

Gemma... I love these names! I'm going to have to revisit this tomorrow and really mull them over. There are some great names on your list

Now you know what you can do at midnight when you should be sleeping and can't you can think of baby names! Either that, or read the stock market pages in the paper, that may put you to sleep too

December 4th, 2011, 01:55 AM
Gemum
You're more than welcome Let us know how you get on!!
December 4th, 2011, 10:27 AM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I love Keaton as well. The only Keaton iveever known was a little girl.

December 4th, 2011, 11:28 AM
MariaL's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My word! That is a long list! I like kaisa from Gemma's list!
December 4th, 2011, 02:01 PM
~SavedbyGrace~'s Avatar ~Nichole~
I really like Kerine and Kabria, and Kambria for that matter That's one big list there girlfriend!!
December 4th, 2011, 03:17 PM
mt23hc's Avatar Melissa
Send a message via AIM to mt23hc
I really love the name Kambria.
December 4th, 2011, 05:32 PM
OH, believe me... I have been working on that list for WEEKS... after the NT scan when she said she was 80% sure it was a girl. None of the names STAY up front for long, so I just have to let it sit for a bit.

I told DH about Kesta and Keeva and Kassidy. He's not TOO fond of Keeva, because he just thinks of the Indian sweat lodges, is OK with Kesta, but with the last name, thinks we need something not so "exotic". Kassidy could still be in the front. He hasn't dropped Kesta, though.

Karys (or Kerys) has been in the front of my mind today. Found out today that Karys is acceptable as a Carys alternative, but Kerys may not be as accepted, so then you think about dropping the Ke theme and just going with K... or do we just say screw the other possible foundation of the name and say it's a derivative of the Welsh Carys/Cerys name, which means love...

Sigh.

I'm just letting it go for now.

And, Kaisa is a cool name, but it means Cheese in German I couldnt' get past that

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search