Cameras

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 3rd, 2011, 03:39 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Okay ladies, I need some help. Our camera is just not performing as well as it once did (getting slower to take the pic it seems) so we're in the market for a new one. We're not looking for anything that has lenses that come off or anything fancy like that or anything ginormous and don't really want to spend any more than $500. We've looked at Consumer Reports (which has been good to us so far on other purchases) and are thinking about a Nikon Coolpix P100 or a Canon Powershot SZ30IS based on what they said. Any thoughts on either or those or on others? Thanks!
December 3rd, 2011, 04:06 PM
Gemum
Heyyy... this is the cam I have. It basically operates like a mid range DSLR... but is a bridge camera and a fraction of the price. I love it. You can mess around with settings, but it also does great when you point and shoot!!

Fujifilm FinePix HS20 EXR Review | PhotographyBLOG

These are some examples of the point and shoots...

December 3rd, 2011, 04:25 PM
alethia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've always loved our canon power-shot ... we've re-purchased them over the years as they go out or get soooo much better i need to update ... i just bought my 3rd i've never paid over $200 for one and they really take great pictures with multiple modes and video!
December 3rd, 2011, 04:33 PM
MonkeyBugMommy's Avatar Brooke
Send a message via Yahoo to MonkeyBugMommy
Before I got more into photography and got a DSLR, I used a Canon PowerShot and LOVED it! I highly recommend a PowerShot.
December 3rd, 2011, 04:47 PM
mrsdaiwa24's Avatar Amy, soon-to-be-mama of 2
I have a Panasonic Lumix. DH bought it for me for my birthday. He's one to research things thoroughly before purchasing, so I'd have to think the reviews on this were pretty good and the price was decent. It's not fancy, but it gets the job done.
December 3rd, 2011, 04:54 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Our current one is a Powershot and was great when we first got it, but you know how technology is! It's about 4 years old now.

Amy-I see several different Lumix on the lists in COnsumer Reports, do you know the model you have?
December 3rd, 2011, 06:24 PM
It's the Luminix DMC-ZS7. Here's the link from Amazon.com:

Amazon.com: Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 12.1 MP Digital Camera with 12x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 3.0-Inch LCD (Red): Camera & Photo

It's listed here for $399 but I asked DH and he said that there was NO way he paid that much back in March. He can't remember the exact price, but as he just told me "There's no way I'd pay $400 for a camera that you won't bother to read the directions for". (It's true!)
December 3rd, 2011, 06:58 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanks-I see a ZS8 on the CR list as a "Best Buy" so we'll check that one out too. Some of the specs are just a little different than the one you listed.

I've never read a manual for one either. I'll use what I can figure out quickly.
December 3rd, 2011, 07:28 PM
Hope you find a new one soon!

Off to watch a couple of Season 1 episodes of "True Blood" -- yay!
December 4th, 2011, 04:03 AM
KimberlyAnn327's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I love my Canon Powershot. Great little cameras! I think I paid about $220 for mine a few years ago. I bought it refurbished and not new. Here is what I have:

Amazon.com: Canon PowerShot SD780IS 12.1 MP Digital Camera with 3x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 2.5-inch LCD (Silver): Camera & Photo

December 4th, 2011, 07:04 AM
AtomicMama's Avatar CopperBoom!
I have a little FujiFilm FinePix (not the one Gemma has, just a plain point and click) and I really don't like it at all. You can turn the flash off, but if you do, all the pictures are really really blurry no matter what, even if it's really bright. Because of that, ALL the pictures of Max's birth and him when he was first born are so blurry.

December 4th, 2011, 09:57 AM
Gemum
Amy I have the small one too... its USELESS without the flash!! It's now my dedicated video camera!!! This one :

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...PoTUQnox7f7Z92
December 4th, 2011, 11:23 AM
MariaL's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You can never go wrong with a Canon!
December 4th, 2011, 02:07 PM
AtomicMama's Avatar CopperBoom!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemum View Post
Amy I have the small one too... its USELESS without the flash!! It's now my dedicated video camera!!! This one :

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...PoTUQnox7f7Z92
That's it! Ugh. I'm so annoyed. I almost never use it I just use my phone, because it works about as well.

December 4th, 2011, 02:08 PM
~SavedbyGrace~'s Avatar ~Nichole~
I just bought today a Nikon Coolpix L120...it's pretty awesome and had great reviews. For not being a dslr, it takes amazing pics. It has 21x zoom and 14mp. I also had a Panasonic Lumix, similiar in body style to this nikon, but I lost it in my move. I loved it.

The nikon was 249.00 which I thought was a great deal.

Here are two pics I took very quickly just messing with it right out of the box.
December 4th, 2011, 03:08 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Yep-that's another one listed as a recommended buy! Hubby is hoping that with better zoom I can get some good pics of him flying, especially when they do formation flying. Our current camera shows what looks like specs of dirt in the sky.
December 5th, 2011, 06:49 AM
C&J's Mom's Avatar Stacy
I just got a Nikon Coolpix L105. I am still getting used to it. I am a horrible photographer (unfortunately) and don't know anything about cameras, despite taking 3 photography classes in high school! It seems to be fine so far, but I am having trouble with blurriness and and graininess. I haven't spent a ton of time messing around with it yet. So I'm not much help! But it seems like a great camera and I spend $99 on Black Friday, it is normally $199.

Thank you Vicki... for my awesome siggy!
December 5th, 2011, 07:50 AM
Meggie26's Avatar Megan
Send a message via MSN to Meggie26
All of this camera talk makes me want a new one!!!

December 5th, 2011, 08:03 AM
mt23hc's Avatar Melissa
Send a message via AIM to mt23hc
I have the Nikon Coolpix L110 and I know Kelli has the same one. I REALLY like it!
December 5th, 2011, 11:49 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Hubby went ahead and ordered the powershot last night. Fingers crossed we like it as much as the reviews did since we never went to see one in person.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search