Ear infection and antibiotic

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 5th, 2011, 01:49 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Michael had a runny and congested nose a few weeks ago, then he acted crabby last week, so took him to the dr. and here we go - he's got his first ear infection. So the dr. prescribed the antibiotic but told me to wait and see how Michael acts and if he is back to his normal self to not give him the antibiotic since ear infection would then clear up on his own. This is so strange since our dr. is very pro- antibiotic and every time my DD had an ear infection she was put on antibiotic right away (though it was a long time ago and also she never had an ear infection at such an early age). Do you guys give you LO's antibiotic for ear inf. or let it clear on its own?

December 5th, 2011, 02:11 PM
white.house's Avatar Kelli
I have never heard that advice from a doctor, even though it IS possible for an ear infection to clear on its own (but many times they get much worse before getting better).
It's very strange to me that's he'd recommend this for a one year old though. Most doctors prescribe a 10 day antibiotic (usually amoxicillin) and highly encourage you to finish out the round of antibiotics EVEN when the child seems back to normal (usually 24-48 hrs).

eli grey [9.15.10]
jude lawrence [11.9.12]

forever loving our best girl, finley [born still 10.30.11]

Last edited by white.house; December 5th, 2011 at 02:16 PM.
December 5th, 2011, 02:12 PM
alethia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i give antibiotic to my LO's for ear infections ... i've had a lifelong battle with them and they never clear up alone for me.

HOWEVER -- if it's just a swimmer's ear type ear infection - there are times where i use home readies ...things like garlic drops (you can get at walgreens) or honey or even just hydrogen peroxide with a little water (50/50 mix) that help a lot (so i don't have to use an anti-biotic)
December 5th, 2011, 03:59 PM
irish luck's Avatar *Callie*
I read a whole study on this once when Logan was little... apparently a lot of ear infections will clear up on their own, what this article stated was the best course of action for non server infections is to get a perscription but not fill it for24-48 hours... if the child seems to be getting better then not to fill it.. if they still seem "off" fill it and give it to them

and once you start it is SO important to finish the whole prescription

for children who have cronic ear issues I don't think this applys

My dr doesnt really follow this but it was an iteresting study

THANK YOU Jaidynsmum
FOR THE GREAT SIGGY!

Gavin Betsy
December 5th, 2011, 06:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Even though ear infections can clear on their own, I wouldn't skip the antibiotics for it. Just like I wouldn't leave an infected cut alone to heal on its own.

Especially for a child who can't verbally communicate whether or not the ear feels better or worse than before.

My ears have been plugged a few times from colds and that alone drives me crazy and want to stick knitting needles in my ears, I can't imagine them being infected and not trying to clear it up!

I hope he feels better soon. My middle kiddo was plagued with ear infections until he had tubes put in just before turning 2.
December 5th, 2011, 06:57 PM
Bonnie
I second the Garlic ear oil. We battled ear infections last year and was on antibiotics several times. We finally decided to go the garlic oil route rather than the antibiotics and she hasn't had an ear infections since. We took her back to the Dr.'s 2 days later to make sure it was clearing up and it was! The oil also helps soothe the pain. Whatever route you go I hope Michael feels better soon!
p.s. the book Healing Childhood Ear Infections is a great book.
December 6th, 2011, 10:54 AM
AtomicMama's Avatar CopperBoom!
No advice, but I hope he feels better soon!

December 9th, 2011, 05:27 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Just an update . I ended it up giving him the antibiotic and what a difference did it made. He is sleeping now and not as cranky.

December 9th, 2011, 05:29 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Glad he is feeling better. Hopefully he doesn't get any more!
December 9th, 2011, 08:15 AM
Super Mommy
Aww, poor baby! We are right there with you. I took Evan in yesterday and sure enough he has his first ear infection. We started the 10 day antibiotics yesterday. The doctor also has me giving him ibprofin. He seems a little better already. Hope your little guy gets better soon!

December 9th, 2011, 04:24 PM
WomanInTheMoon's Avatar Courtney
Odd advice to me. Ryker was acting fine and we took him in for his year shots and he had an ear infection. On antibiotics we went.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search