Sorry to bother you... name question poll-- more questions Post 15 AAAK!

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

View Poll Results: Spelling of Carys/Cerys?
It's OK to change the original spelling of Carys/Cerys to Kerys and looks fine and keeps the meaning of Love 14 56.00%
Carys/Cerys are the only ways to really spell it and keep the meaning 1 4.00%
Karys is acceptable as a change, but Kerys isn't, looks goofy or hard to pronounce 10 40.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 6th, 2011, 02:13 PM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
Sorry, girls... I know we're here for our LO's, but this name thing is plaguing me, and I'm TRYING to let it sit (believe me, I'm doing good) but I have one nagging question...

Cerys/Carys is Welsh and both are original spellings and mean Love.

There is no K in the Welsh alphabet. But, I've seen people change spellings (or "butcher" if you aren't into creative spelling, and I'm not REAL fond of creative spellings) for all kinds of names but still swear the meaning stays the same.

So... in those lines...

If you "Anglo-cize" the Cerys name and make it Kerys (pronounced like Paris, with a K), do you think it works? Or would it lose the real meaning?

So, the poll is up. Thoughts appreciated

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!

Last edited by redbirds; December 6th, 2011 at 07:30 PM.
December 6th, 2011, 02:21 PM
mt23hc's Avatar Melissa
Send a message via AIM to mt23hc
It's OK to change the original spelling of Carys/Cerys to Kerys and looks fine and keeps the meaning of Love.

I absolutely LOVE and ADORE that name!!!
December 6th, 2011, 02:33 PM
alethia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I really like the idea of changing it to a K - then it's unique but still the sound and meaning you want. LOVE IT!
December 6th, 2011, 02:37 PM
AtomicMama's Avatar CopperBoom!
I think it's okay! I will say, just from looking at it, people MAY be more prone to pronounce it Kerrys if you spell it Kerys than if you spell it Carys Just from my perspective though! And if you don't mind the correction, I don't see a problem at all!

December 6th, 2011, 03:02 PM
K_photo_mom's Avatar Krista
I think the name looks fine and keeps its meaning. It was always on my list as Karys, but Coy says no
December 6th, 2011, 03:09 PM
Karys would totally fit your crew, Krista! I always LOVED your name choices, so was hoping you'd chime in with some thoughts Funny that we both had this name in mind...

Not sure if it's it yet, but trying to figure out spelling options to keep on the list.

December 6th, 2011, 03:50 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Totally fine to change the spelling!
December 6th, 2011, 04:16 PM
irish luck's Avatar *Callie*
I like it with a K! I agree with Amy that the e might make people say Kerrys but i think it is OK!

THANK YOU Jaidynsmum
FOR THE GREAT SIGGY!

Gavin Betsy
December 6th, 2011, 04:49 PM
white.house's Avatar Kelli
I think it's fine too. This name always takes me a minute to think about before "saying" it (I really don't say it out loud, I just think it). I always want to say car-iss... I think Kerys makes it easier to pronounce when looking at it.

eli grey [9.15.10]
jude lawrence [11.9.12]

forever loving our best girl, finley [born still 10.30.11]
December 6th, 2011, 05:27 PM
~Constance~
Kerys will be pronounced wrongly by 90% of people. Sorry but to me it looks nothing like the pronunciation of Paris. Asking people to pronounce an e as a short a is just confusing, especially with your other names where the e is pronounced as a short e.
December 6th, 2011, 06:12 PM
TanyaMM's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I personally like it spelled better as Karys

Thank you GraysMama for the awesome Siggy

December 6th, 2011, 06:43 PM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I love the way that it sounds, but TBH if it was spelled Kerys v. Karys I wouldn't have known the correct way to pronounce it on my own. The "A" spelling helps figure the pronounciation to me. It's very pretty and unique, I really like it.

December 6th, 2011, 06:49 PM
mrsdaiwa24's Avatar Amy, soon-to-be-mama of 2
I think you should spell it whichever way makes you the happiest. In my 14 years of teaching, I've seen so many variations of so many different names -- right now, I have an "Aine" in my class. Wanna guess how that one is pronounced? (It's "An-ya"!). You can't worry about how people might pronounce or spell the name. I've forever stuck Betsy with saying "It's Elisabeth with an 's'."

Oh, and I had a Charis in my class a few years ago.
December 6th, 2011, 06:59 PM
Countrymom4's Avatar Chrystal
Your not bothering us !!! We are happy to hear about the new bundles !!!

December 6th, 2011, 07:19 PM
Amy... Charis is the proper Greek way

So...

Just to throw a wrench in it all...

DH says to keep in on the list, he wants to spell it Karis (which is from the Greek, Charis, which I think means pure or Grace, so still a good meaning, and it's pronounced just like the Welsh version, so I don't think it would clash with my kids' names). He *may* go with Keris, but how does that look? Is that off?

AAAK! I don't know! He said the same thing, that Kerys would look too much like Kerry's and would require constant correction...

I'm moving on with my name break. I may come back to it after Christmas

Ooohhh.. christmas... there's a name J/K!

I think I may still name this one Cardinal

He went through my list and nixed about 90% of them. Then came up with a couple and I told them how popular they were and he nixed those (I had already nixed them)...

So, we're almost shortened to just a handful again, and I'm not sure I love any of them, and the ones I like most, he's on the fence with.

I've gone through, literally, thousands upon thousands of names (over 6,000 names, many including a number of various spellings, all from different letter as starting letter, so even more than that, plus my baby name book) and NOTHING sticks

So... Karis or Karys... Do either of these lean to proper pronunciation (CARE-iss) any more than the other? I prefer with the y, but most people know Paris, so maybe they'll get it right that way? Maybe the Karys still invokes Kary's ... UG!

And does the hard (or long, I guess) "a" sound still match my kiddos? Kensley, Kellen and Karys? What if I have my Kemper, too? but if we have an oopsie 4th and it's a girl, the second name could be another Ka name...

I am insane. STOP ME NOW!

Last edited by redbirds; December 6th, 2011 at 07:29 PM.
December 6th, 2011, 07:47 PM
QuaintandQuirky's Avatar Keri
I think an outsider would pronounce it properly if it was Karys, but not if it was Kerys.

And Keris to me looks like my name with an S, so that's how I would pronounce it. I really like Karys though!

December 7th, 2011, 05:45 AM
emmiejack0810's Avatar MELANIE
If it were me and I were trying to match your other kiddie names then I would spell it Keris - I personally have always had a hard time trying to figure out the spelling of Carys...

I think Keris is very cool actually!!!

and you aren't bothering me ... I am done having babies so I am living vicariously through you

Thank you BAM for this INCREDIBLE Siggy

December 7th, 2011, 08:52 AM
mt23hc's Avatar Melissa
Send a message via AIM to mt23hc
I like Karys with the "y".
December 7th, 2011, 09:03 AM
Thanks, girls... I feel so foolish. But you have to understand me, every decision about these babies (ALL of them) is so researched and planned out... and they will have to live with their names forever (well, unless they HATE their name and change it), so I want to cover ALL my bases and really think things through.

My name was NEVER pronounced or spelled right. DH's name was rarely pronounced right (you'd think Sean wouldn't be too hard, but he lived in NM by the Mexican border, so they had no idea how to say it), so we're always trying to make sure that we pick a name that when you look at it, it's easy to pronounce, and the meaning isn't too bad either, and it's not completely made up!

Also, research shows that if someone calling for interviews or whatnot can not pronounce your name, they may SKIP you!!! Yep. It's not intentional, and you may eventually get a call, but you may get put to the back of the pile if they can't figure out how to say either one of your names. Sigh.

So much riding on a little bitty name.

Why couldn't this have been a boy, if ONLY for name's sake!

December 7th, 2011, 09:08 AM
~SavedbyGrace~'s Avatar ~Nichole~
I voted for the bottom one...because for me, no matter how it's spelled, I just can't see the "paris" sound in it. I always want to say ca-riss. But, that's just measly old me!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search