Speech appointment update and more

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 6th, 2011, 04:53 PM
irish luck's Avatar *Callie*
Gavin had his appointment with a new Ped. today regarding his speech. She was super nice (a little hard to understand but so nice!) She spend almost an hour with us, wow!

She agreed with me that Gavin is "slower than average" with his expressive language but he is doing great with his receptive language. So in essance he is not saying as many words as he should be by now (15.5 months) but he is clearly understand/comprehending well also she said he is using nonverbal communication very well (pointing, making eye contact, expressions, noises)

She was very happy that he was making what they call a 3 way connection, ie when the dr talked to him about the pic of the baby on the wall Gavin looked at her, then the picture and then back to her... apparently it is great that he doesn't become fixated on the item and not comunicative with her

And she was happy that he points lots!

all in all she is not too worried about him, yet... but.....

she was concerned about how little he is she is sending him for blood work for his white count, his thyrod (sp?), his iron and a few other things that i didn't catch

and I now realise he is labeled FTT (according to the paper work) Failure to thrive Oh well, ironically he actually grew in the last few months, hopefully he continues to grow... she is concerned with his brain development (because of his lack of size she is worried that his brain isn't getting enough ) She wants me to add FAT to his diet .... I am not sure how I feel about that.... I don't really want to be adding butter to all of his food but do want him to grow..... any opinions on this??

Oh and he didn't grow as much as I had thought.... I thought he went from 16.4 to 18.12...... but he was 16.8 (12 months) to (today) only 18.5

We go back in 4 weeks due to his weight and she will decide then if he will need more help

if you made it though all of that Congrates!!!

THANK YOU Jaidynsmum
FOR THE GREAT SIGGY!

Gavin Betsy
December 6th, 2011, 05:04 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hugs Callie. Sounds like a good appointment overall. I am glad she was able to assure you in some things. As far as the weight issue goes, it is a good idea to get him checked out and (my personal opinion here) add that butter to his diet. Fat is very good for babies and it plays a big role in brain development. I hope everything turns out ok and they are able to confirm that Gavin is just a peanut

Thanks Claire1979 for my awesome siggy.
December 6th, 2011, 05:07 PM
klsfl10's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That's awesome that his receptive language is great!!
Definitely KUP on the testing... As far as the fat goes, we don't add any but we very rarely give him our food b/c DBF and I both have to eat low-fat so Logan just gets usually the Gerber Toddler meals or baked chicken nuggets and fruit and has the full-fat milk. Maybe they can give you suggestions on how to add healthy fat? Big hugs and KUP on how he's doing!!

December 6th, 2011, 05:14 PM
~Constance~
Well, I think that's mostly great news especially about still listening to the doctor while looking at the picture. That's a big deal!
I'd be freaked out too if I saw FTT on my kid's chart. I'm sure my ds should have been labeled that. I gave him tons of fat(hot dogs, peanut butter and ice cream almost daily) as well as fish oil and flaxseed and flax oil supplements. I can't say I really noticed a difference but I know it didn't hurt either. My skinny kid is still skinny and still delayed. :shrug:
December 6th, 2011, 05:18 PM
*MomofO&Nat*'s Avatar Kelly, Massachusetts Mama
Hugs Callie! You did the right thing getting it checked out, and it sounds like he has some very good strengths to draw from to build his expressive language. I am sorry to hear about the FTT, they almost labeled Owen that too. I am shocked they didn't actually. Maybe in addition to the testing, they can get you into a Nutritionist to give you ideas how to boost his weight. That helped us a lot, we still go every 8 weeks.
Natalie Laura (9/14/10)
Harrison Dean (2/22/13)
Proud Member of the September 2010 Playroom

December 6th, 2011, 06:19 PM
AtomicMama's Avatar CopperBoom!

It sounds great that his receptive speech is doing so well And that she doesn't seem to be worried about his speech!

Hoping that everything is okay with his weight, too! I hope he's just a little guy! As far as fat, I know there is a lot in dairy. Max loves bacon

December 6th, 2011, 06:30 PM
TanyaMM's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was going to suggest a dietician too. Some benefit plans in ON also cover it (worth looking into). If I thought fat would help get some weight on the kids, I would look at the healthiest ways to add it.

Still offering some big hugs!! I'm glad she took the time to go through everything with you. Keep us posted on his bloodwork.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeToTheMax View Post

! As far as fat, I know there is a lot in dairy. Max loves bacon
Seriously, who doesn't love bacon - I'd be so pumped to be able to eat a bunch of bacon!!

Thank you GraysMama for the awesome Siggy

December 6th, 2011, 06:44 PM
mrsdaiwa24's Avatar Amy, soon-to-be-mama of 2
Glad to see his receptive language is progressing! I hope the doctors can come up with a plan to get his weight up.
December 6th, 2011, 06:51 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Overall it sounds like you got some great info and the doctor was very helpful.

As far as fat goes, I think I would try to do it with dairy (cheese, full fat yogurt, ice cream) and PB rather than just butter.
December 6th, 2011, 07:28 PM
irish luck's Avatar *Callie*
Thanks girls, you guys are awesome!

I totally will try giving Gavin bacon and see what he thinks!

I wish he would like cheese cus that can be so full of fat

THANK YOU Jaidynsmum
FOR THE GREAT SIGGY!

Gavin Betsy
December 6th, 2011, 07:42 PM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
Kellen sounds exactly, EXACTLY like Gavin in the speech department. I never knew to be worried! Our appointment is Thursday, so I'll see what she says he should be doing at 15 months.

As for the diet, I'm with everyone else, nuts (so peanut butter, almond butter, etc...) full fat dairy items, more tender meat/pork with higher fat content would all be just fine for him. Wish I could say the same for me

Do you supplement with a vitamin at all? Some have essential fatty acids or oils to add

If you give him veggies, steamed, you could use an olive oil sauce/base for flavoring, that's good for you and is a good fat too.

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
December 7th, 2011, 07:37 AM
alethia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
:hugs: It sounds like overall it was a good appointment, and i'm glad that they're looking into his size. there are also some kiddo's - i know 2 - that fall into that category, but are fine in every-other regard just really small and slow to grow. ICE CREAM TIME I hope that maybe just some changes to his diet will help. You're a great momma! And each kiddo does what they want with speech. I'm actually surprised that they have speech therapists for this age. Kaylee is the same way - she doesn't say many things - but she understands/comprehends.
December 7th, 2011, 08:06 AM
~SavedbyGrace~'s Avatar ~Nichole~
It does sound like a great appointment over all, and I'm so glad she took her time with you. That's wonderful! I have a friend whose son was just labeled FTT and she is supposed to be adding fat to his diet in the form of pediasure...because he wont eat period, only drink. But those are like a million dollars, so she has been making them. They sound REALLLY gross, but he is eating them. Anyway, I would definitely start adding some fat to his diet...and yes..you can't go wrong with bacon!!

You could always give him several spoonfuls of nutella!! He will love you forever!!
December 7th, 2011, 08:44 AM
mt23hc's Avatar Melissa
Send a message via AIM to mt23hc
Awwwww sounds like a great doctor! I think Cohen is a lot like Gavin in the speech department!

Somethings I have heard to be fattening:
Avocado (a lot of GOOD fat)
Coconut milk
Egg yolk

Check this out:
Getting Enough to Eat | Ask Dr. Sears

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search