I got a job!

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 9th, 2011, 11:19 AM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
Like a real one this time!

Last winter I was just filling in for my friend's mom at his business. Shortly after he brought me on and had ideas for what I could do for him his business plan changed and it just wasn't working out anymore. But last week I got a job as a seasonal bridal consultant! At the very least I'll be employed through March/April, so that will be nice. I've never worked on commission before so I'm kind of nervous about how that will work out, but they tell me during this time of year it averages out to a pretty decent paycheck. Right now I'm nervous because we only get 16 hours of training and then we're set loose, but during the limited amount of slow time left I'll be gone for 10 days! I basically get 1 day on the floor on my own and then we're gone. When we get back is when business starts getting crazy. Apparently lots of people get engaged over the holidays

I'm excited. I work with all girls (again) and I actually get along with all of them. One makes me a little nuts but I don't think I'll be working with her much so I can deal with that. The best part is a lot of the people who work there are moms and 3! have nursed their babies over a year! That's nuts to me!

So, if I'm a bit quiet that's where I am. I'm going to put in some extra effort to post when I can instead of just reading all the time.
December 9th, 2011, 11:22 AM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
How awesome!!! It sounds like a fun job, and I think thats the most important thing when it comes to working. You have to LOVE what you do or you'll be miserable.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
December 9th, 2011, 11:30 AM
It should be fun. I've always loved working in retail, especially a smaller specialized store.

I'm secretly hoping that they hired me because of my managerial experience and they're anticipating an opening there soon...therefore I can't suck at this job!

Oh, the other "issue" I'm having is that I have to be uber-girly... like hair done and makeup on, every day. Pretty much the opposite of me. And I have to wear a blazer/suit jacket and I look AWFUL!!! in them. I'm so self-conscious working in a giant mirror room looking like that
December 9th, 2011, 11:38 AM
Meganpixel's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
so here is the story! Congrats! Sounds like it could be so much fun. I am a sucker for the say yes to the dress shows! I am sure it might be tough to work on commission but think about it...they are going to end up buying a dress before the wedding. Its something a bride must have. I hope you make some big $$$$ and help many brides find the dress of their dreams.
December 9th, 2011, 11:47 AM
Racine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh that sounds like such a fun job! Congratulations I'd take a blazer to a tailor and get it fitted perfectly to you; I know an ill-fitting jacket is suicide for self- confidence...but when it's perfectly tailored to you, you'll feel like a million bucks!

Thank you, Meganpixel, for my awesome siggy!

December 9th, 2011, 11:56 AM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
Just fake it until you make it (with your self confidence). If YOU think you look like a million bucks, and YOU think you are girlie girlie other people will think so too.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
December 9th, 2011, 12:01 PM
Platinum Supermommy
that sounds fun!

December 9th, 2011, 12:40 PM
That's a good idea Racine. Maybe I'll ask our seamstress at the store if she can 'fix' my jacket and make it look better. The main issue with me and jackets is that I'm SUPER short waisted - think boobs and waist coming together as one So the rise never hits me right.
December 9th, 2011, 12:44 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Sounds like a fun job! I agree with Racine about getting the blazers tailored!

December 9th, 2011, 02:13 PM
JaxonsMom2010's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
COOL! That does sound like a fun job! I am a little jealous.

December 10th, 2011, 08:46 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Mylene you took one of my dream jobs!! You'll do great at commission work. Just be super friendly, optimistic, and honest and you can't go wrong.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search