Christmas present budget...

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 15th, 2011, 02:41 PM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
The thread on being thrifty made me think of this...

Do you set a Christmas budget for your presents? Do you stick to it?

I don't set a budget... but we plan to "not buy so many freaking toys this year" and of course, that has already been jacked. I can't help myself! and the fact that DD's birthday is on the 27th, well... I just keep buying stuff!

I went downstairs to see what all I've gotten for them so far, and I bought more for Kellen than for Kensley, so some of his little toys are going to wait for Easter He'll never know!

I can't really beat some of the deals I've run across.

Now for the adults (DH, mom, dad, brother, IL's) we've stuck to the budget easily.

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
December 15th, 2011, 03:51 PM
WomanInTheMoon's Avatar Courtney
no budget really. We just spend as little as possible!

December 15th, 2011, 06:01 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I set a budget, but it's not the end of the world if we go over. It's all paid for in cash, so I don't stress too much. This is the one time of year I tend to splurge. This year we've spent the most we've spent in a LONG time, but we've also had more people to buy for this year. Most of the adult things are giftcards, but for the actual gifts I saved about 50% overall, so I am happy.

$100 per kid, finished @ $264.44
$50 family gift, finished @ $29.00
$100 for hubby, finished @ $134.45 (1 part is really more of a family thing though and I got him 3 new work shirts since he's been having to dress up more. I would have gotten them anyways, but since it's Christmas I wrapped them up )
$100 for me, who knows what he'll spend (one year he bought a $600 pair of earrings and I was going to smack him, but after they appraised for 4x that, I wasn't too mad )
$100 for my mom, finished @ $193.00 + the dinner/play combo we will take her to in the summer when she picks which one she wants to go to, WAY over because BIL decided she needed a new computer and basically went ahead and got it, told us what we owed after a very brief conversation we had about *maybe* doing it
$50 for my grandparents
$100 for the ILs, finished @ $97.50
$25 for niece, finished @ $17.30
$35 each for 2 Godchildren, finished @ $65.17 + I need to ship a small ornament
$35 each for 6 Godparents, finished @ 208.78
$105 for YMCA child care workers
$75 for Nathan's teachers and Lukas' speech therapist
$75 for 3 kids' donations, finished @ $38.09
$40 for cards, stamps, etc, finished @ $34.08

also decided to pick up some treats for our dog at the ILs-$10.22 that I hadn't figured in

I just did my totals a little bit ago because hubby and I were talking about it.

$1400 , finished @ $1322.03 + what hubby spends for me, the postage for 1 small thing, and what we spend on the dinner/play for my mom (~$55). So, we'll be over.
December 15th, 2011, 06:11 PM
AtomicMama's Avatar CopperBoom!
I'm with Courtney on the "spend as little as possible" I did pretty well. Secret Santa at work really was the most expensive for me, but it was fun to participate in, and a good way to make friends with my co-workers.

December 15th, 2011, 06:37 PM
Great budget, Kris!! Sounds like fun to shop for all those people.

I love Secret Santas! I'm glad you did that, Amy. I miss that piece of working with "real" people.

I still have to get some little things for preschool teachers (2) and of course DH sucks at presents, so didn't get his mom anything for her birthday (tomorrow) and didn't get anything for them for Christmas. Figures.

December 15th, 2011, 06:56 PM
LifenTheFastLane's Avatar Mommy 2 Rhys~Rhylee~Jessa
We don't have a budget really..but try not to spend to much, we also only buy for our 3 kids and no family. The adults usually only buy for the kids, no longer the adults. I don't think I have got a gift form my mom since maybe 5 years ago when I was 21 lol

Last edited by LifenTheFastLane; December 15th, 2011 at 11:42 PM.
December 15th, 2011, 07:04 PM
TanyaMM's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh man I spend way to much money!!! But it is the only time of year we spend a lot of money and I like to give Plus we save for it throughout the year so it isn't too bad.

I probably spent around$2500. But to be completly honest I've lost track And I'm okay with it.

Thank you GraysMama for the awesome Siggy

December 15th, 2011, 07:21 PM
-Trish-'s Avatar Mom to 3boys & a Princess
Waaaaay too freaking much! Just on the 4 kids we've (or should I say me) spent around $2200 and then for everyone else it comes to around $4,000....hubby got a nice quarterly profit sharing check last month though so it paid for everything this year

Thank you so much Alethia for my GORGEOUS siggy!!

December 15th, 2011, 07:24 PM
dalynnrmc's Avatar pronounced (day-lynn)
Must set a budget, must stick to it.

Much thanks to Alethia for my beautiful siggie and tags!!
December 15th, 2011, 08:48 PM
alethia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
wow ... i feel like a cheep a** i set my buget for the kiddo's and I was able to go pretty far with that too because of some awesome sales, so their still getting more than i thought i could get for them. yeay. I've never been big on going crazy at christmas because i want them to enjoy what they do get and for it to be special and fun and not distracted by too many 'things'.
December 15th, 2011, 09:19 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I think you totally have the right idea, Alethia! Even though overall I feel like we spend quite a bit, I like the amount we're at for the kids. We always do an ornament and then 2 gifts from us and then 2 gifts from Santa with a couple of smaller things in their stockings. That way it's not a TON of stuff. Although they still end up with WAY more than they need because of their grandparents and aunts.

I think if you balance out the present aspect with other parts, not just religious stuff, but the idea of giving/sharing/spending time together I think the kids get the message. When we choose the gifts to donate, the boys come with me. We choose kids that are close to their own age. Nathan especially gave it a lot of thought about what to choose for the boy he picked. Lukas thought he was picking something out for himself.
December 16th, 2011, 04:01 AM
J9+J+C=Complete's Avatar Charlotte & Jacob's Mommy
We went over budget this year but only because I was unrealistic we set aside money in our account for area months prior to christmas though so we don't feel the pinch. Definitely helps that hs ended uP being a three paycheck months for hubs the way the days laid out.
December 16th, 2011, 06:20 AM
amonstersmomma's Avatar Coetta Dawn
I think we did pretty good this year actually and I was afraid we'd go way overboard. Like Stephanie we only buy for Caleb since he was born. That saves a lot of $ not having to buy for DH's 6 nephews and 1 niece! We didn't really set a $ budget for Caleb more like a # of presents budget and we wanted to stick to under 10 gifts and we ended up getting him 7 or 8 (not counting stocking stuffers) and all under $30. The grandparents go crazy so we let them fill the empty spaces under the tree We did set a budget for each other of $100 and DH stuck to it but I did not he realllllyyyyy needs a new phone (his is literally held together by duct tape at this point and when it's done charging it starts uncharging itself and it randomly turns off and the screen is pealing off etc etc) sooo since my phone line was eligible for a discounted upgrade I got him the new iPhone for $200, he has no clue! In total we definitely spent under $500

December 16th, 2011, 06:51 AM
-Trish-'s Avatar Mom to 3boys & a Princess
We have 2 teenagers and the older they get the more expensive it can get....as just 1 video game can cost $60 ...and that's the kind of stuff they are into. We don't buy them much of anything at all throughout the year other than their birthdays so we tend to go overboard on Christmas.

Thank you so much Alethia for my GORGEOUS siggy!!

December 16th, 2011, 07:07 AM
Meggie26's Avatar Megan
Send a message via MSN to Meggie26
I don't think I've actually set a budget. But, now that I have two kiddos it might be a good idea. Although, this is the first year we decided to swap nieces/nephews and only buy for one kid and I think my sisters and I said around $30-$40.

December 16th, 2011, 07:32 AM
whitehouse's Avatar My name is Kelli :)
I'm with you Alethia. I think I MIGHT have spent $35-40 on Eli for all of his presents this year?? Then again, I shopped super sales and black friday!

We also spent a little on my family and DH's family (we draw names for gifts).
We don't have a budget, but will probably need one once we add more kids to the mix and the older they get!

.fearfully and wonderfully made.
eli grey // jude lawrence
forever loving Finley
December 16th, 2011, 08:19 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Oh, forgot to add last night, that the snow globe is super sweet, Stephanie and I bet your mom will love it!
December 16th, 2011, 09:37 AM
I love the snow globe!!! Cardinals have a special meaning to me, but because of my home town and memories growing up. I think that will be up far longer than just through the holidays. It's a great sentiment

December 16th, 2011, 09:50 AM
~SavedbyGrace~'s Avatar ~Nichole~
I set an ideal budget in my head...but nothing I have to meet or stick to too strictly. I won't spend over 300 on each kid...and I didn't really come close to that. For everyone else, we have a set amount and it's pretty easy to follow. I spend around 1,000 all together.
December 16th, 2011, 06:58 PM
mrsdaiwa24's Avatar Amy, soon-to-be-mama of 2
With Betsy, I didn't set a budget. For me, it was "how many things can I get her before we totally run out of space"? type thinking. There was one thing that I'm going to end up spending more than I had originally wanted (the bean bag), but I'm getting it "oversized", so it should last her a long, long time.

DH didn't want a lot of stuff this year, so I didn't get him very much. Oh, I did buy him four pounds of Danish butter cookies -- the boy likes to eat! I got him a hockey sweatshirt, a furry blanket (because he keeps stealing mine!), and he wants a new hockey coffee mug, so I'll have to get that for him too.

On my mom's side, we only buy for the kids. I used to buy them a couple of fun toys and then I'd get them a ton of clothes -- but this year it was suggested that they didn't need very much, so I set a $50 limit (there's only 3 kids, so it isn't so bad). I'll get my mom a gift because she watches Betsy. My dad and I won't exchange gifts.

As for DH, he'll take care of those gifts for his family members, so I won't have to worry about that.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search