Wwyd?

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 16th, 2011, 01:44 PM
QuaintandQuirky's Avatar Keri
I watch my cousin's daughter who will be nine months next week. Socially, she is great. Happy, smiley, etc., but physically I have concerns about her.
  • She does not roll over, nor does she try in the least bit (belly to back or back to belly).
  • When I try to give her tummy time, she can hold her upper body up for about 30 seconds to a minute, then she just face plants and screams.
  • If you put her on her back, she will lay and kick her legs, but there is absolutely no effort to try and change positions or even go after toys out of her reach.
  • I tried to put her face down in a crawling position with her knees tucked under her body and I physically could not move her legs so that her legs were underneath her. She can only keep her legs out froggy style.
  • She can sit, but she still topples over front, back, and sideways occasionally. If she topples front, she has absolutely no ability to get herself out of that position and just sits folded in half and screams (not that I let her do this long, but I do try to give her the opportunity to help herself).
  • She's a very stiff baby - when you hold her, when she's sitting, when she's laying. I tried doing the blanket game where I gently roll her over with the blanket, but it's like trying to roll a 2x4 piece of wood and she just goes THUD and screams. I've given up on that.

First, does this all seem odd to you?
Second of all, if this seems odd, would you tell her mother that you are concerned if you were in my shoes? I don't want to interfere where I do not belong, but if me saying something helps the baby, then I guess I will.

Any thoughts and advice are welcome!

Last edited by QuaintandQuirky; December 16th, 2011 at 01:51 PM.
December 16th, 2011, 01:54 PM
AtomicMama's Avatar CopperBoom!
Hmm...I'm assuming she goes in for regular check ups and the doctor hasn't mentioned anything?

To be honest, the not crawling/rolling over doesn't seem too odd. Max didn't crawl until he was over 9 months, and didn't roll until even later.

I think if you are comfortable bringing it up, you could just casually mention she ask her doctor about it at her next visit?

December 16th, 2011, 01:59 PM
alethia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Kaylee had several of those issues as well and was referred to PT. I would have her pedi do an evaluation and just check on things. Every baby is different - but some need a little push or some help too - and it's better to do it sooner than latter.
December 16th, 2011, 02:15 PM
kemper2.0's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That does seem odd-- maybe not developmentally challenged, but certainly odd. The not sitting/toppling over part would concern me.

I honestly don't know if I would bring it up to her mom though... I know some mothers don't handle input very well. Good luck!

Kat, mommy to Gideon (9-8-10) and Arie (7-6-12), and Evangeline River (3-27-14)

December 16th, 2011, 05:41 PM
amonstersmomma's Avatar Coetta Dawn
I do think the not sitting up part is odd. I think if it were me I would mention it but I'm also the mom that wouldn't mind someone else who is genuinely concerned mentioning it to me. I think it's your call. Would she have told you if her doctor and her have already discussed any of these issues?

December 16th, 2011, 06:35 PM
Platinum Supermommy
This seems odd to me because my child developed differently. Keep on her tummy as much as possible. It will help to add upper body strength which is what she is lacking. Was she given a lot of tummy time before? If she was not challenged in a certain way she might now have gotten a chance to develop that skill. This does not necessarily mean that she is delays, but she might become if she does not gain the skill soon. How is her language? Does she have a lot of teeth? These things could also interfere with her physical development.
Are you the primary care giver during the day? If so, I think it is your responsibility to bring up the concern. Mother might get upset at first, but it is best for the to have this situation checked by a dr than ignore and pretend that everything is ok.

Thanks Claire1979 for my awesome siggy.
December 16th, 2011, 06:44 PM
Platinum Supermommy
If she your cousin's only child? Is the baby with you full time or just occasionally? To be honest, if she's only with you part of the time and if she is a first baby, she may be held a lot and not get enough time to be on the floor to play.

None of those things send a super big red flag to me though either, at least not at this point. Teresa was a lot later than my boys in doing things. She JUST figured out how to roll off he back recently.

Maybe casually ask when her 9 month check up is, say something like-oh she seems to be getting big, I wonder what she'll weigh when you take her in. That way you should find out if she is going for regular check ups. If that's the case, then I probably wouldn't say anything at this point. But if there is no improvement in a month or so, then you might want to say something. Give the baby plenty of oportunity to sit, tummy time, etc. A little crying while she does it won't be the end of the world.
December 16th, 2011, 07:33 PM
QuaintandQuirky's Avatar Keri
She has an appointment on the 28th. That's why I'm asking now. So if I decide to say something, I can just say, "You might want to mention to the Dr. that she still can't support herself while on her tummy" or something.

I watch her four days a week, so, yes, I'm with her the most during the week. I've always given her tummy time, but she has not improved one bit in the four months I've been watching her. To answer another question, she has no teeth and can babble (baba, mama, etc.)

She is also very very little (still wears some 0 to 3 clothing, mostly 3 months) with a HUGE head. I (and the rest of our family because they asked me about it because they, too, didn't want to butt in) was initially concerned about her head, but she (the Dr.) didn't say anything about it that I know of at the 6 month appt. When I asked my cousin about the appointment, she said it went very well, that the baby was in the 10th % for weight and height and the 84th for head. I guess that's not a red flag difference.

Anyway, thanks for your advice so far! I'll have to figure out what to do...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search