Climbing

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 23rd, 2011, 05:46 AM
RunningWithBoys's Avatar Amanda
SO I know Luke was/is a late walker. He has just this month decided walking is cooler than crawling. I am fine with him being a little late. So was E and he turned out fine. But what I was reallllly excited about is without walking there was no climbing. Oh, how I have forgotten how exhausting the climbing is.

I know you guys have had climbers for a while. I would see the pictures, smile sweetly and say, "Oh, I remember that. They are so cute when they throw that little chubby leg up there." Yeah, it was cute when YOUR kids was doing it. Now that mine is doing it....GOOD LORD, SOMEONE STOP HIM!!!

Yesterday, John and I donned our cheerleading outfits, grabbed our pom poms and joined the team "Get off the couch without breaking your neck". All day, we showed him over and over how to get off feet first. And I must have said "feet first" like 90 times an hour. By 5 he was finally going feet first off off things. We would cheer and dance and yell and wave those pom poms when he actually got off the furniture the way we wanted him to. Evan even started copying what we wanted Luke to do. Each time Evan went feet first, Luke would clap and clap for him. LOL! Jeez - this is almost as exhausting as potty training! That's a whole different cheerleader outfit, by the way.

December 23rd, 2011, 06:00 AM
Mom2#1Drakester's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I feel you! Drake rolled off yesterday and he luckily went kind of butt first so his head just thumped at the last second. He gets how to get off but he really enjoys walking around the couch so that is how he keeps falling darn it Good luck to you guys with the "training"!
December 23rd, 2011, 07:19 AM
alethia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I TOTALLY feel you. If Kaylee can even TRY to climb it she will .. and then jump off. It's so exhausting and can be terrifying too. Brandon was never this way, he's still cautious about jumping off things or even just climbing them.
December 23rd, 2011, 08:55 AM
Platinum Supermommy
If the gate is open for half a second she beelines for the stairs! Thankfully her short legs prevent her from climbing up onto the couch, but she has used toy bins as stairs to help her get onto the coffee table.
December 23rd, 2011, 10:20 AM
klsfl10's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
LOgan is good about getting off the couch but he had a rocker we had to take the rocking part off bc he thought it was big fun to stand up on the rocker...yikes!!!

December 23rd, 2011, 10:36 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Oh how could I forget the little rocking chair we have? She kept standing on it and she would usually sit wen we told her to, but then stand 3 seconds later so we put it in the basement for a bit.
December 23rd, 2011, 11:12 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I have an extremist. Since sofa is not trouble he is now on (kid) tables, riding toys and the worst is that he knows he is not supposed to climb. He climbs up and looks at us with a huge smile. We tell him get down and he shakes 'no' with his head.
December 23rd, 2011, 11:28 AM
RunningWithBoys's Avatar Amanda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumii View Post
We tell him get down and he shakes 'no' with his head.
Bawwaahhhahahah! Too funny!

December 23rd, 2011, 05:38 PM
kemper2.0's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Gideon isn't an extreme climber, but he does climb a few things (couch, toys, stairs).

I don't even stop him from climbing the stairs anymore. He is proficient at climbing up and down so as long as the dog is put up, I let him go up and down all day. He normally just goes up to play in his room for about 30 mins at a time and then comes down when he is hungry

He fell off of the couch today and got a bit of a bump, but it's a low couch and we have a rug so I wasn't too worried.

As long as he stays off the kitchen table, chairs and cabinets I think we'll be ok!

Kat, mommy to Gideon (9-8-10) and Arie (7-6-12), and Evangeline River (3-27-14)

December 23rd, 2011, 06:14 PM
irish luck's Avatar *Callie*
Gavin thankfully is'nt really a climber (well at least not like lots of the LO's on here)... he is too short

he can't get on the couch, or kitchen chairs, is trying really hard to get in the tub (he can get out but not in yet)
He does love to climb on the chairs and table at daycare though!

THANK YOU Jaidynsmum
FOR THE GREAT SIGGY!

Gavin Betsy
December 23rd, 2011, 06:23 PM
mrsdaiwa24's Avatar Amy, soon-to-be-mama of 2
Betsy got a little kid arm chair for her birthday. It's currently sitting in our basement because she decided it was way more fun to use it as a jungle gym than a chair.

She's trying to climb on the couch, but she just can't make it up there yet. She can climb up the stairs though. She's also -- excuse me while my heart stops -- figuring out that she can stack things like toys onto boxes and climb up on those. My super active, non-stop little Energizer bunny has just added more excitement into my life -- I wish she'd just climb onto the couch and watch a video every now and then.
December 29th, 2011, 07:13 AM
white.house's Avatar Kelli
We've had a climber since about... ohhhh 6 months old?? I don't where the climbing thing came from, but it seemed like as soon as he could move around he HAD to be on top of things.
Although it seems like he has been climbing for forever, he STILL doesn't get the feet first thing!! So WTG Luke!! Eli would walk right off a ledge (in fact he has before...)

eli grey [9.15.10]
jude lawrence [11.9.12]
forever loving our best girl, finley [born still 10.30.11]
January 2nd, 2012, 10:01 AM
AtomicMama's Avatar CopperBoom!
Max climbs some, but he is more of a "shake and destroy until what I want is within reach" kind of baby...so I wear the "don't pull that on top of you, it will break your neck" outfit

January 3rd, 2012, 02:02 PM
ladybugmomma's Avatar Trisha
Layla became a walker around the beginning of Dec. She loves climbing, especially kitchen chairs She's obsessed with stairs!!!!! At my FIL's we'd take turns spending 10-15 minutes at a time going up and down beside her.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search