Introducing the potty?

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 23rd, 2011, 04:37 PM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I can't believe it's time for this to even cross my mind. But since most of our LOs are 15 months old, I know this is a topic that's just around the corner.

I don't plan to really try to potty train G until he's two years of age. However, I'm doing some research on Elimination Communication and am considering putting a fair amount of time into just introducing him to the potty soon. I'm not expecting to get him potty trained at this age, but I'm interested in him becoming familiar with it and maybe it will make that time easier once it gets here? On the other hand, I'm batteling the idea that it might be time spent that is pointless since I'm not able to be extremely consistant with it.

I know some of you ladies have experience with EC and I'd love to hear any experience, ideas or suggestions. The one piece of information I can't seem to find is for their age group, about how long would you wait after they eat or drink to take them to the potty?

Has anyone else thought about PL yet? Do you have an age in mind that you would like to try to start with you LO? BTDT Mommas, at what age did you start to PL your older children? Any tricks to get them to sit still on the potty long enough to go? And about how long do you make them sit there to "try"?

December 23rd, 2011, 05:16 PM
Meggie26's Avatar Megan
Send a message via MSN to Meggie26
I'm sure I won't introduce it to Kierson for quite awhile longer. I'm in no hurry!

Elliana was completely potty trained by her 2nd birthday. No accidents day or night! It really seemed to happen over night. I think girls are easier to train than boys, or so I've heard.

December 23rd, 2011, 05:28 PM
irish luck's Avatar *Callie*
I honestly can't remember what age I bought a potty for Logan, I don't think this young. After a few times of hitting the time just right on the toilet (for pee) I got a potty. I just sat it on the floor in the bathroom and when I went he came and sat on it for fun, often with his pants still on.
Ironically he stopped peeing once I put him on the potty, if I put him back on the toilet he would pee, if I put a toilet seat on it he wouldn't pee..... for him it he trained just on the plain old toilet. (which in the long run made it super easy )

at the beginning I wasn't overly consistant just sat him when he wanted to.... then I tried hard to put him on when we woke up in the morning, before and after nap and before bed (i was happy if we got two of these times) and he would generally pee when i put him on. Eventually, when he was a month over 2 (I would have done it earlier but I wanted to wait for christmas when I was home with him)... I went cold turkey with him, it was underwear with no pants for a day, he has about 3 accidents, then we went back to clothes (we were going out) and he had a couple accidents the first couple days. Then it was back to daycare and he basically never had accidents....i think he went 8 months before his first one at daycare (if you don't count the one that he asked to go but they couldnt get him to the toilet for a few minutes cus it was nap time with only one teacher)
Poop wise he was a limited pooper and refused to poop in his pants (which let to constipation issues but that is a whole different issue)

I honestly dont know how I got so lucky with him and will probably pay dearly with Gavin, I am sure I will not get this lucky twice.... I have trained MANY children at daycare and I know Logan was extremely easy and not the average.

If you are looking for opinions I have just 2..... the plain IKEA potties or the baby bojion ones I think people say are the best
and secondly I believe that you need the child to be putting lots of pee in the toilet and having a dry diaper often..... then once you think they are ready to toilet train do one more sleve of diapers.... this extra week or two gives them so much time to practice and gain confidence..... (this is not the case if they are older, such as 3-4)..... the kids that their parents had done the extra diaper for had significally less accidents (which leads them to believe they can do it and doesn't cause them as much frustration)

that was long and rambly, sorry

THANK YOU Jaidynsmum
FOR THE GREAT SIGGY!

Gavin Betsy
December 23rd, 2011, 05:31 PM
kemper2.0's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was just thinking about this yesterday. I've started letting Gideon follow me into the bathroom when I use it and explaining to him what I am doing. "Mommy needs to go potty. We go potty in the toilet". If he seems interested that particular time I'll take off his diaper and let him try it out. He has had success a time or two and every time he does I act very excited and give him lots of praise. He doesn't really understand it yet, but I thought it better to introduce now and get him familiar as opposed to later.

I also think we are going to buy him a potty chair soon to "use" while I am in the bathroom too. I'm not in any real hurry to PT, but think it would be really useful to have him out of diapers in the daytime by the time the new baby gets here. If not, oh well

Kat, mommy to Gideon (9-8-10) and Arie (7-6-12), and Evangeline River (3-27-14)

December 23rd, 2011, 05:31 PM
irish luck's Avatar *Callie*
oh i was going to add that Logan was early, it is totally normal to not train til close or past 2.5 years....

and ALL CHILDREN ARE DIFFERENT!!!!!!!!!! PTing can be like all other milestones.... there can be pressure and people to be made feel bad that their children aren't doing as fast as other children..... in the end they will all make it out of diapers and out of peein their pants...... just like bottles and walking, they all get there when they are ready and noone in university will know who walked talked and PTed first

THANK YOU Jaidynsmum
FOR THE GREAT SIGGY!

Gavin Betsy

Last edited by irish luck; December 23rd, 2011 at 06:16 PM.
December 23rd, 2011, 06:03 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Nathan pooped trained early, by about 18 months, he would tell us when he needed to poop. Regular training took until a little after 3 years old and nights weren't perfect until about 4.5 years old (I think). He's a very heavy sleeper and sleeps about 12 hours a night.

Lukas is going to be 4 in May and still isn't anywhere close. He'll go most of the time when I take him, but he is also still wet when we take him-every hour or so! When you ask him if he's wet or dry he always says dry, even when he's soaked. I am about to rip my hair out!

Teresa will go on the potty a few times a week. She'll come in when Lukas tries. Maybe I am due for an easy trainer?

I TOTALLY agree that it will happen when kids are ready!
December 23rd, 2011, 06:19 PM
mrsdaiwa24's Avatar Amy, soon-to-be-mama of 2
Just by accident, we've noticed that Betsy knows that we go potty in the bathroom and when she goes in with me, she makes a small attempt to take off her pants. So now, I'm bringing her in with me as much as possible to get her familiar with the idea. Tonight, before her bath, she kept pointing to the toilet, so just for fun, I put her on it -- she had a panicked look on her face, so I took her off. At this point, I'll think we'll just stick to watching Mommy.

If I think she's ready, I'm going to start actually trying in the summer. DH and I will both be home all summer long, so I figure it'll be a good time to start. If it works, great, and if not, I'm not worried as she won't even be two yet so there's no pressure. We'll try it again next Winter Break and just take it from there.
December 23rd, 2011, 08:45 PM
AtomicMama's Avatar CopperBoom!
Max is like Betsy, he panics when I put him on the toilet. I'm planning on waiting awhile because he is showing no signs of being anywhere close.

December 23rd, 2011, 10:11 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I think it's still too early. I don't think Michael would understand what's required from him when he is put on the potty. My DD was about 2.5 years old when she was fully trained and started to go the daycare, however, I can't even take credit for it since she got trained at daycare.

December 24th, 2011, 08:35 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I also wanted to add that I think it is VERY rare for a kid to train before 2 years old. Most it seem train between 2.5-3, with boys usually being after girls. Just don't want anyone stressing about it.
December 29th, 2011, 07:17 AM
white.house's Avatar Kelli
Woah! I haven't even thought about this! But I guess you're right, isn't this the next BIG thing?? How have they grown up so fast???
I haven't even tried Eli on the potty or done anything to introduce it, I guess I need to get on the ball!

eli grey [9.15.10]
jude lawrence [11.9.12]

forever loving our best girl, finley [born still 10.30.11]
December 29th, 2011, 06:19 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We bought Milan a potty and are introducing him to it very slowly. He is interested in sitting on it with clothes on as well as standing in it. Yea.. he definitely got the point of standing inside the potty! He pushes it around the house.
As per PT, he started showing some signs of readiness - not liking being in a wet diaper ( mostly at night, we even switched to disposables for night sleep ). Sometimes says poop right before pooping and lets us know after he poops. As someone above mentioned, it is still very early and we are simply having fun for now!

Thanks Claire1979 for my awesome siggy.
December 30th, 2011, 01:03 PM
Justjessie's Avatar Really Just Angela
Jessica pooped in the potty for about 3 weeks there...then she had some stomach issues and we couldn't do a thing =)

If we catch her needing to go we put her on the potty and she does it there. She claps when she is done and likes to flush, but she has no idea what is going on, I'm sure. She knows we do something fun in there and she comes in with me and claps when I go and she yells "potty!"

We have her potty chairs out and we talk about them a lot but she prefers the big toilet??? That's hard.

My other kids self trained at almost 2.5. Just woke up one morning and said "I'm using the potty now" and they did. I did the same thing with them when they were little,let them try if they showed interest, but didn't push, and took them in with me a lot. My husband thinks that's weird. But they don't know what to do until you show them!

Right now the baby is rearranging kitchen furniture. thought that was a skill learned after potty training =)
December 30th, 2011, 02:17 PM
Gemum
I have a potty and I just leave it for Jay to explore. I often let him run around nakey to observe his signs. He generally pulls his penis before he pees or bends a little to look at it. He is CONSTANTLY trying to take nappies off too. He totally knows something is going on down there. I'm in no hurry
January 2nd, 2012, 11:30 AM
uvatigger's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
With salil we started at 2 talking about it
at two and half we started a 3 day boot camp and he was night and day trained in a week at around 2 and half

We will start Kiran at 2
same schedule--no hurry

January 2nd, 2012, 12:22 PM
TanyaMM's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I trained Mason around 2.5 and with him it was easy, because he was ready. I don't feel like I pushed or stressed too much with him - so I probably won't with Myles either. Around 18 months Mason showed signs that I thought he was ready, but that only lasted a couple weeks and then totally went away.

Myles has showed some interest already - he's always in the bathroom with me and he loves to watch his big brother go pee. So I'm thinking he will almost be easier? Either way, I will wait until he's ready.

Thank you GraysMama for the awesome Siggy

January 2nd, 2012, 04:56 PM
~SavedbyGrace~'s Avatar ~Nichole~
Yikes...I guess it's getting near that time. Although I haven't even thought about it. She does come "potty" with me, but only because she is nosey and gives me no space. I'll probably get a potty chair out sometime, but no clue when. She is nowhere near ready. I have a feeling she'll be like 5. Austin was trained at 2, and in underwear full time by 2 1/2. I don't see it going that well with Grace. Hopefully I"m wrong...but she is a pretty strong willed little firecracker. And if she wants to pee and poop her pants forever, I think she will fight me tooth and nail.

Wasn't there some super weird pee and poop toy we all saw one time on here...we were posting about weird toys. I can't remember what it was, but it was super weird!! Gonna have to dig around now!
January 6th, 2012, 08:31 AM
emmiejack0810's Avatar MELANIE
The one thing I learned that is very important to understand is that you cannot push them to Potty Train if they are NOT ready... It will only cause frustation for you and the child.

We waited for Emmie to be ready - she was a little over 2 and she is totally day trained by 2 1/2 --- nights we are going to start working on but I am not overly concerned about that yet.

Jackson - no hurry and won't even start until he hits 2 or older - not expecting him to learn as quickly as Emmie as I have heard boys take longer.

Thank you BAM for this INCREDIBLE Siggy

January 6th, 2012, 08:44 AM
J9+J+C=Complete's Avatar Charlotte & Jacob's Mommy
Be careful ladies. Everyone wants to be rid of diapers but potty training before they are ready can give negative results!! Follow THEIR lead
January 6th, 2012, 09:23 AM
white.house's Avatar Kelli
How do you know when they're ready?

eli grey [9.15.10]
jude lawrence [11.9.12]

forever loving our best girl, finley [born still 10.30.11]

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search