Any mommas live in GA? Do you like it?

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 27th, 2011, 11:37 AM
Super Mommy
Just curious. What do you like/dislike about it? DH and I have been thinking about moving, and DH thinks Atlanta might have job opportunities for him. We lived in Atlanta for a very short time and I didn't like it at all. I'm not much of a "city-type girl", and the weather was often gray, wet and cold. IF we did move there this time, we would live outside of the city though. We have no idea where, but I am 110% sure I do not want to live in Atlanta. So DH would have to commute. On the up side, the cost of living would be pretty good there I think, and we would be much closer to family in Florida. Oh well, I'm really just rambling here...Thanks for reading my jumbled thoughts.

December 27th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hey hun, there's quite a few of us that live in Georgia in the Atlanta areas (myself, Lindsey, Christina, Jenny & Courtney).
I live about 30 minutes north of Atlanta and I really like the area we live in. I am a city-girl, however we're located in the suburban area, not downtown. So living in the suburbs sounds like it may be a better fit for you. My only complaint is the traffic, even 30 minutes out from the city "rush hour" reaches us pretty badly too. Other than that, I like the distance we live from down town. I love the school systems and the vacinity we are to all the shops and highways and what not. I like that Georgia has four true seasons rather than always being cold or always being hot. And you can get amazing houses for your money right now in Georgia. This is a great housing market to take advantage of right now.
What field of work is your DH in? I wish you both the best in luck in your decision on deciding what's best for your family. I know if you do make the move, you have a good group of girls that will be here to welcome you with open arms

December 27th, 2011, 01:09 PM
KimberlyAnn327's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was in GA back in March. Overall, I liked it but they did have some crazy storms!

December 27th, 2011, 01:20 PM
Super Mommy
Thanks for the thoughts. DH is a lawyer, but he only wants to do specific things, which makes finding a job for him more difficult. He says he could probably find something in Atlanta though. Could you throw out some names of suburban cities so I can google for fun? I looked at Stone Mountain and Tucker, at random. I can't believe how pretty and inexpensive the homes are! Wow. Also, I didn't realize the public schools were good. IN Atlanta that certainly did not *appear* to be the case. I just wish the beach was closer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberlyAnn327 View Post
I was in GA back in March. Overall, I liked it but they did have some crazy storms!
Yep. When I lived in Atlanta, I swear it rained for like 5 months straight.

Ok...maybe I am exaggerating a little.

December 27th, 2011, 02:42 PM
WomanInTheMoon's Avatar Courtney
Cobb County - Marietta, Acworth, Kennesaw

Alphareta, Sandy Springs, Roswell

Gwinnett County - Sugar Hill, Buford, Dacula, Lawrenceville

These are what I would consider "nicer" suburbs with nicer schools. Nobody with kids live "in" Atlanta. Everyone tries to live and work outside the city. Inside the city is within the circle if interstate 285.

Your hubs should be able to find work outside the city in the suburbs.

you should be able to google school reports. I know there was a website we used to pick the cities we were willing to buy based on the schools. Atlanta and surrounds really has wide ranging school qualities and you'd need to make a list of schools and their cities that would be acceptable.

When we were house hunting we actually had two realtors in the same company. One for Cobb county and one for Gwinnett county. Cobb county would be what in my opinion would have more "nicer' schools, but Gwinnett county has a few nicer ones up in the northern part of the county, and the housing is alot cheaper than Cobb.

Stone Mountain and Tucker suck

December 28th, 2011, 08:22 AM
I grew up in Cobb County. The schools are very good there. We now live in Paulding county which is just over the Cobb county line and we were able to get much more for our money.
Courtney gave a great list of cities to consider though. I guess it all depends which side of Atlanta you're interested in.

December 28th, 2011, 08:29 PM
Super Mommy
Send a message via Skype™ to Graysons mommy
We moved to the ATL area 2.5 yrs ago, and are really enjoying being here. I live in Acworth, located about 10 miles from Megan in Dallas. I am in Cobb County, and the schools are great in this area. It was the primary reason we chose the area. My husband is a CPA and works downtown. His commute is 45-60 min depending on traffic. I agree with Megan in that is the only bad thing about this area, and anywhere around ATL. The traffic is awful!!! However, there is SO much to do here, so you are never bored. The girls are right about not wanting to put your kids in the ATL school systems, as well as South of ATL. If you decided on these areas, you need to look into private schools. I would look at Acworth, Dallas, kennesaw, Marietta, Roswell, Alpharetta, and Smyrna. Let me if know if you want suggestions on neighborhoods etc
Would be really exciting for you to be in this area. We try to get together for girls night every couple months, and always have a blast.

December 29th, 2011, 07:44 AM
white.house's Avatar Kelli
My parents live south of Atlanta (where all the Delta pilots and airline people work ) and I feel like we basically live there part time I love it there and we may be moving there soon too! You'd have lots of us mommy friends to hang out with!
As far as south of Atlanta, Fayette county and Coweta county have decent schools and are great areas. Peachtree city is kinda ritzy, my parents live in Senoia which is more historic and quaint

eli grey [9.15.10]
jude lawrence [11.9.12]

forever loving our best girl, finley [born still 10.30.11]
December 30th, 2011, 07:17 AM
Really, Kelli?!?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search