Boys in womens washrooms

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 27th, 2011, 07:50 PM
irish luck's Avatar *Callie*
Mom's of older boys.... at what age do you stop taking your son into the public womens washroom with you?

If there is a family washroom at what age do you feel you have to use it rather than the ladies and at what age do you send your boy in alone? (I don't think I will ever be ready to send him in there alone)

THANK YOU Jaidynsmum
FOR THE GREAT SIGGY!

Gavin Betsy
December 27th, 2011, 08:21 PM
LifenTheFastLane's Avatar Mommy 2 Rhys~Rhylee~Jessa
If they have a family bathroom I take them in with me.. they are 4 and will be 7 in feb.

I honestly cant see sending my 7 yr old alone still at this point.. and they BOTH go with me to the ladies room even if there is a male bathroom. I can see maybe letting him stand outside when he is 9 or so.
December 27th, 2011, 08:50 PM
Pupcake74's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Brandon is almost 8 and 90% of the time he goes with me into the ladies. The other 10% I will wait for him out side of the family restroom for him.

December 28th, 2011, 06:03 AM
alethia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
AZ is NOT good about family wash rooms ... so lil B still goes in with me. It's hard because i know occasionally when other boys that are older and in the women's room it can make me feel a bit weird - but then i think of what age would i feel comfortable sending lil B in alone into the mens room - and i'm not sure. I know what your saying though - i've thought it before too.
December 28th, 2011, 06:03 AM
RunningWithBoys's Avatar Amanda
Well, Evan is only 3, so he still comes with me. My sister was with us last night and her 8 year old went in the Men's by himself. His dad was sitting at the table immediately outside the bathroom though (his mom went with his sister in the Women's. I think I'll just see when Evan feels uncomfortable in the Women's.

December 28th, 2011, 07:38 AM
Meggie26's Avatar Megan
Send a message via MSN to Meggie26
I don't have an older boy, but my nephews are 7 & 8 and rarely go into the bathroom by themselves. If I have them with me, I will make them come with me or they go in with their mothers.

December 28th, 2011, 08:28 AM
-Trish-'s Avatar Mom to 3boys & a Princess
Tanner was 7 but he's only gone in by himself a handful of times...usually either dad or one of his brothers are going in as well. When they aren't with us then I definitely stand right outside the door waiting on him. I guess it depends on the kid too. I never worried about Tanner because he's a big kid, a football player and can knock his teenage brothers down so I know he can take care of himself in situations like that.

By the time he was 7...7 1/2 though he was definitely too embarrassed to go in with me.

Thank you so much Alethia for my GORGEOUS siggy!!

December 28th, 2011, 11:57 AM
TXErinC's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Logan is 5 and still comes with me unless there is a family bathroom, which is not often. I don't know at what age I will let him go into the mens room by himself... there are just so many weirdos that I'd rather have him come with me and be a little uncomfortable, then something bad happen to him.
December 28th, 2011, 01:56 PM
Platinum Supermommy
If there is no family bathroom and hubby is not around to go with him, then he typically goes into the women's with me. I have also stood at the door of the women's bathroom with the door open, had him go in while I wait at the door (usually that happens at the grocery store where the bathrooms are in a crazy corner that is hard to manuever a cart around).

The only place I have let him go in by himself is at the YMCA or at hubby's work if we are there visiting, but I consider those fairly controlled environments.

Personally I don't think it should matter to other women if a young boy is in there, it's not like they are doing their business out in the open. I wish most places just had a big bathroom with lots of stalls rather than a separate guys/girls. Too many times I see women waiting in huge lines while there's no wait for guys.
December 29th, 2011, 06:38 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I am way too far from knowing this.. but I find seeing a young boy in women's bathroom way better than seeing him go into men's room on his own. I feel like women's bathroom is so much more private comparing to men's rooms.

Thanks Claire1979 for my awesome siggy.
December 30th, 2011, 02:25 PM
Gemum
I'll take him as long as he obliges!
December 30th, 2011, 04:33 PM
MonkeyBugMommy's Avatar Brooke
Send a message via Yahoo to MonkeyBugMommy
I swear, the other day I saw a woman take her son who was probably 12 years old into the womens room with her. I don't know if it made him feel awkward, but it made me feel a little weird!
December 30th, 2011, 04:40 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I know these kinds of things are rare, but I think of this case when the thought of letting Nathan go alone crosses my mind.

CNN - Suspect arrested in case of boy killed in public bathroom - November 16, 1998

Until I can leave him home alone, I probably won't be letting him go into a public bathrom alone (except in the 2 cases I said above).
December 30th, 2011, 05:50 PM
irish luck's Avatar *Callie*
I am totally with you all about not wanting my boys in the bathroom alone! I guess i will teach them to HOLD IT if their isnt a family bathroom atleast around here there are lots of family washrooms

THANK YOU Jaidynsmum
FOR THE GREAT SIGGY!

Gavin Betsy
December 30th, 2011, 06:42 PM
C&J's Mom's Avatar Stacy
I struggled with this a lot. Carter always went to the women's bathroom with me. My friend brought her 5 year old boy with her into the womens bathroom at the front of the store because he had to go really bad and a woman lectured her that it was rude of her to bring him into the womens bathroom when there are family restrooms at the back of the store. Ever since then I became very hesitant. Carter just recently started going to the mens room alone (he turned 7 in September) if he is with me and I have Jack with me as well and I stand right outside the door. That is only in stores that don't have many people in and out of the restrooms though. If we were in a busy store and he had to go really bad, we would defnitely go in the womens' room because there are too may weirdos out there.

Thank you Vicki... for my awesome siggy!
January 2nd, 2012, 10:32 AM
AtomicMama's Avatar CopperBoom!
I think it will depend on the situation? If it's a huge bathroom in a busy place (airport, baseball stadium, amusement park, etc.), I'll wait as long as I possibly can. Smaller stores or restaurants might be easier, but I don't know a specific age yet.

It doesn't really bother me when mom's bring their sons into the bathroom, like someone mentioned, there area always stalls. I mean, if he was in high school maybe it would bother me But I never know the story or the situation.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search