Signs to start potty training?

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 28th, 2011, 05:58 AM
LOUSEE's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So Jaxface keeps taking off his diaper after he goes pee... I was thinking it may be time to start potty training... who has advise... this is a first for me! haha.

(PS he is even taking his diaper off at school and giving it to his friends and running around naked!)
December 28th, 2011, 08:00 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We are going to start introducing Luke to the potty, but I'm not going to get my hopes up that he's ready to start yet.

After he poops, he points to his bottom, and then runs off to his room. So that is the only reason I'm considering to introduce him. I started Hayden about 18 months, but it's easier for girls.
December 28th, 2011, 08:33 AM
who_it_is's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We have sort of started Noelle. We did a few diaper free weekends before the holiday, but with all of the activity of the last few weeks were total slackers. The plan is to pick back up with the diaper free weekends after the New Year and work in the potty more frequently.

Right now, Noelle will tell us almost immediately if she is wet. Most of the time we get in to change her and her diaper is still warm. When she poops, she is starting to go into another room to do her business and is also starting to be able to get her own pants down if she wants them down. From what I have read, those all are signs of readiness.

To the Amazing Kelly: Thank you once again!! Amazing only begins to cover it.
December 28th, 2011, 08:41 AM
MomtoCarly&Sofia's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I seriously can't even get Carly potty trained, never mind Sofia.

I know she's not my June baby, but since we're on the topic, we've been working on it with carly all week. She's had two accidents every day. Every other time she goes on the potty no problem. However after her nap (we put a pull up on her because I don't have any mattress covers for her twin bed), it's a fight to get her to put underwear back on, but once they are on and shes done throwing a fit shes fine with going on the potty. Should I just keep going with it, or is she just not ready and I should give up?

December 28th, 2011, 08:45 AM
I would keep going. If she's good all but 2 accidents a day, I'd day she's well on her way. I know that a lot of people have success with pull ups, and I can totally see their purpose, but maybe there is something more under ware like she could use for naps? Possibly put the pull up on over her under ware at nap time. With the thought being it's just an extra layer of protection, but not a "diaper". I would definitely keep going if she is successful the rest of the time.

December 28th, 2011, 08:51 AM
I think I should probably just go to the store and get the mattress covers. I did forget to mention she woke up dry from her nap 2 out of 3 days, so you're right it is probably the pull ups causing the problems. I guess I just need to take the chance and stop being scared about the mattress getting wet, she'll probably surprise me with how good she does.

December 28th, 2011, 08:56 AM
Try putting down a couple of thick towels on top of a large plastic garbage bag under her fitted sheet in the mean time. When we were potty training DD, that's what we did when the mattress cover was in the wash. I would cut open one of those large outdoor garbage bags, cover it with large thick towels and then put her fitted sheet back on. Saves the mattress but works to catch the leaks should there be an accident.

Yay for Carly for staying dry at nap time! That's a huge success in potty training. WTG Mom!

December 28th, 2011, 09:02 AM
Why the heck did I not think of the trash bag thing?! Great idea, thanks!

I do think potty training is my least favorite thing of being a parent though. I think if i Could hire someone to do it for me I would lol

December 28th, 2011, 09:41 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I trained Rebecca in a day.... by taking away diapers and panties. So long as she had nothing to catch the pee, she didn't pee anywhere but the toilet. A week later, she was completely day trained. Let's just not talk about the last 24 hours. She PURPOSELY wet a pull up (going to bed), and then peed on the dining room chair this morning. Not sure what's up with that. Anyway, she flat out refused to keep a diaper on. Seriously. I would put it on her, and she would run away and take it off immediately. Similarly to what Elias was doing about 2 months ago. So, I decided she had to learn to use the toilet if she wasn't going to wear diapers. Elias is MOSTLY poop trained, but pee is going to take a loooooooong time. He's aware of his pooping, but I think he isn't ready for the pee training yet. We'll try this summer.
December 28th, 2011, 10:59 AM
kimmiejo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sam is def not ready he could care less if he has a pee or poop diaper. He does sit on the potty from time to time and try to go but that's about it. My dd didn't fully potty train until she was almost 3, I just kinda followed her lead and had the potty available but didn't push it, I planned to go hardcore at age 3 but never needed to because she woke up one day and said she didn't want to wear diapers anymore and literally that was that, she even night time trained at the same time, it was really easy, probably too easy so I am sure Sam won't be trained until he is like 5 ... guess I am not really helpful LOL
December 28th, 2011, 11:46 AM
LOUSEE's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for the advise...

I was thinking one of these...

Mommy's Helper Cushie Step Up Potty Seat - Mommys Helper - Babies "R" Us

Anyone use one before? I really dont want to clean out the little toilet (cause we all know I will get stuck doing it!) haah
December 28th, 2011, 12:49 PM
Mom.to.PinknBlue's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Harleigh is nowhere near ready. I hope to start the process when she is 2 but it all depends on how she is doing developmentally by then.
December 29th, 2011, 05:22 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We have this https://m.bedbathandbeyond.com/bedba...egoryId=&path= and love it. It is so convenient, mess free (especially if you make sure little boys are pointing down...), and made Rebecca completely independent on the toilet at 20 months. Totally worth the money!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search