talking

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 28th, 2011, 08:17 AM
susieQ3's Avatar Veteran
I was wondering how much your LO is talking? We have Ben's 18 month appointment today and the only words he says are mom and dad. He signs more for most things that he wants and points. He says oh and uh for everything. He knows what things are, he points to his body parts, things in the house, and pictures in books when we ask him where something is- so I'm not worried about that aspect. I've read up a lot on other mom's experiences and maybe he has fluid in his ears and needs tubes. Maybe he has been hearing muffled sounds all along. I'm glad to get some answers this afternoon.
December 28th, 2011, 08:34 AM
momtothe3rdpower's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Levi says quite a bit, and repeats me (or tries to) alot. He says puppy, kitty, juice, milk want that, daddy go (means where did daddy go?) hot, sissy, mmmmmm for yum, nods for no and yes. I hope you get some answers today, and most likely just needs some speech practice.
December 28th, 2011, 08:44 AM
MomtoCarly&Sofia's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sofia has about 10-15 words ( probably closer to ten but im not counting right now), the same ones she's had for months. But she understands everything we say, and her doctor wasnt concerned.

December 28th, 2011, 08:49 AM
who_it_is's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think I am raising chatty Kathy's twin. Noelle talks up a storm all.the.time. I would say at this point, 90% of it is things that I can understand, and about 50% of it is things that someone who doesn't know her as well can understand.

All kiddo's develop at their own pace. Unless he's had problems with chronic ear infections then there probably isn't much worry about fluid in his ears and needing tubes. Some kids say very little and then one day bust out will full sentences (my DH was like that. Barely spoke, pointed mainly and grunted but understood until he was almost three. Then one morning he woke up and started blurting out complete sentences.) and some kids are more chatty. Hope you get some answers from the doctor.

To the Amazing Kelly: Thank you once again!! Amazing only begins to cover it.
December 28th, 2011, 09:04 AM
MomtoCarly&Sofia's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yup I posted about 6 months ago worrying about Carly (my now 2.5 year old) not talking much. She now talks stop, it did seem to happen overnight.

December 28th, 2011, 09:38 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Elias uses almost no words spontaneously, but will try to immitate words we use. Like, if he points at the juice and signs please (ie, he's asking for it), we'll say "Juuuiiiice? you want Juice? Can you say J-J-J-JUUUUUICE?" And really emphasize the word we're wanting to hear. He ususally will attempt the words. This was the main recommendation I got from a friend of mine when he was saying NOTHING. He didn't even make sounds other than /m/ /b/ /a/, and /u/ at that point. His speaking has taken flight since we started doing that, LOL. He signs a LOT though. Like at least 40+ signs used spontaneously. He understands everything we say, and he's started asking us to tell him the words for thing he sees, like he'll see a picture of birds, and he'll wave his hand at us and point/pat the thing until we give him the word, then he'll "try" to say the word (which usually sounds the same as every other "word", lol), and then he's happy.

I also doubt fluid is an issue, unless you literally are hearing NO sounds other than vowels and only a couple consonants. If you're hearing him babble all the consonant sounds and he has good comprehension, I think he's probably just being slow. Never hurts to get it checked out though, so if the ped thinks there's reason to worry, then get him assessed. If not, then just enjoy that he'll be a baby a little longer... maybe, LOL. He might just talk in sentences from the get go for you though. Rebecca did that to us.
December 28th, 2011, 01:05 PM
MommaLee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
No, Julie doesn't say much that we understand (she talks alot though). The ped says that kids have a word explosion between the ages of 19-24 months or so and it's totally normal for her not to have many words.
December 28th, 2011, 01:30 PM
kellysensei's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Gabriel still has zero words and his babbles consist of only vowels, b, d, g, and zh. We're getting his hearing checked again on Friday, though he seems to hear just fine at home and will respond to commands. I guess there's nothing to do but wait if his hearing checks out fine. But I'm getting really impatient! Just one word would make me so happy!

Evan James (2/18/12) and Gabriel Anthony (6/5/10)

December 28th, 2011, 01:56 PM
kimmiejo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sam has a decent amount of words, a lot of stuff probably only I understand though, some of his words are clear and others not so much. My dd didn't really talk until after she turned 2, she did have fluid in ears and did get tubes so I don't know if that is why she talked later or not, before the tubes she seemed to hear fine and even before she had fluid and ear issues she wasn't really much of a babbler at all, so I really don't know but once she started talking she never looked back and she literally hasn't stopped talking since!
December 28th, 2011, 07:00 PM
SweetSimpleThings's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaLee View Post
No, Julie doesn't say much that we understand (she talks alot though). The ped says that kids have a word explosion between the ages of 19-24 months or so and it's totally normal for her not to have many words.
Ditto this. I spent a lot of time worrying about my DS and his language didn't really get going until two - then it was non-stop. He's most likely just fine ... Emily says a few simple things (like maaamaaa and buh-buh) but she understands every thing we are saying ... she's very social and connected, plays age appropriately, etc. So I'm not too worried that there's something "wrong" - I think I'd be picking it up in the way she's engaging with the world around her generally, kwim?

December 29th, 2011, 12:54 PM
susieQ3's Avatar Veteran
The doctor looked in his ears and didn't see anything out of the norm. She thinks he needs speech though so we're waiting on them to call us to schedule an appointment for a screening. We scheduled an appointment with an audiologist too just to rule that out. I'll keep you guys posted!
January 1st, 2012, 08:17 AM
Gabriel's ears/hearing checked out just fine, too. The doctor said if he's not saying at least a couple words in two months that they'll recommend a speech therapist.

January 1st, 2012, 09:37 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
Amber gets a new word every day lately, so...

January 14th, 2012, 02:02 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Baylee talks so much! She sings songs and will say sentences, not always right though, she loves to say "Binty where are you" when she is looking for her Binky!
Anthony was delayed in speech though and didn't say much of anything before 2. He started speech therapy in september, at 3 and a half. He's doing good now. I mean he says and talks plenty. Sometimes its hard to understand him though. Our oldest was having full convos at 20 months. They all develop at their own pace. I wouldn't worry too much yet. The doctor told me that sometimes they will not progress in one area, like speech, because they are focused on mastering another skill. Like large motor skills or something. He's got his whole life to talk

January 16th, 2012, 11:46 AM
Leanne78's Avatar Nov 2012 DDC Co-Host
Akadia talks nonstop but it's not in a language any of us can understand. She learns a word says it for a few days and then never says it again. She will randomly tell someone hi or bye and occasionally will say daddy and uh oh. That's about it. Everything else is just babbling. She understands a lot of what we say though. I can tell her to bring me something and she will or close the door and she'll do it. So, there's nothing wrong with her hearing.

January 17th, 2012, 02:21 PM
susieQ3's Avatar Veteran
He qualified for speech. His receptive speech- what he knows about language, he scored 21 months. For expressive speech, actually talking, he scored at 11 months. They said he has low muscle tone in his mouth so they are going to give him different toys to strengthen his mouth. I'm looking forward to hearing him talk soon!
January 17th, 2012, 08:07 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Well that's good that he was evaluated and they think they can help. Hope he starts talking more soon!!

January 18th, 2012, 12:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by susieQ3 View Post
He qualified for speech. His receptive speech- what he knows about language, he scored 21 months. For expressive speech, actually talking, he scored at 11 months. They said he has low muscle tone in his mouth so they are going to give him different toys to strengthen his mouth. I'm looking forward to hearing him talk soon!
Is that through a hospital program or your school district? I'm still concerned about Gabriel, even though he is saying his first "word," "uh-oh," now.

January 21st, 2012, 01:44 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellysensei View Post
Is that through a hospital program or your school district? I'm still concerned about Gabriel, even though he is saying his first "word," "uh-oh," now.
There is a federal law in place for early intervention and screening for children at no cost to the parents. I'm not sure where you live but you can google early intervention in your state and find the number you should call. You do not need a referral from your doctor for their services and if it is found that they want to do speech therapy I believe that is also a free service through the program.

January 26th, 2012, 07:35 PM
Oreobaby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Oreobaby
I know I am posting this late...I hope that you get some answer soon. In the last month, Rayanne words seem to increase daily! She talks so much...I understand about 70 % Otheres about 50% It is crazy

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search