Potty training..

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 3rd, 2012, 04:51 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to MrsTiffy Send a message via Yahoo to MrsTiffy
I know a few of you mentioned that you were starting to potty train your little ones. How is that going? I will be starting to potty train Alex this weekend. He is ready for it, so I hope it goes smoothly. I will be putting him straight into regular underwear and getting a basic potty seat for him to start with. Anyone else thinking about starting potty training soon?

Vivian (6)
Caden (5)
Alex (2)
Maura born 9/11/12

January 3rd, 2012, 05:19 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
Hell no. Not for another year at least. My 3.5 year old still wears diapers at night.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
January 3rd, 2012, 06:11 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Violet is 100% potty trained and has been for months now. I just put her in panties one day (after she'd been staying dry for hours at a time, etc already). She had a few pee accidents in the first 2 days but then was fine during the day. She wet the bed for about a week on/off, but then was fine at night as well.

So happy that I have a break from diapers for a bit until baby #3 arrives!

January 3rd, 2012, 06:58 PM
Kittynoah's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Jed has a little potty but seems afraid to sit on it. He doesn't tell me he went pee or poop so I'm thinking he is not quite ready.

January 3rd, 2012, 09:40 PM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
I've thought about it but in reality my 4 year old isn't potty trained. I'll work on it with Kolbie when she turns 2. It will be warm enough to do naked time with the little potty by then too. Hopefully she's easier to train than Kaija. Ugh what a nightmare...
January 4th, 2012, 02:18 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Layla was going really well until we went away for Christmas! At first she was doing well but then suddenly she didn't want to sit on the toilet there and she had a poo accident too which hasn't happened in ages (she'd still wet her undies sometimes but the poo she always tells me). Anyway now we're home again and today (first day home), she's been good. She was still saying 'wee' when we were on holidays but not leaving herself enough time to go to the toilet. She'd say wee and then almost immediately start to wee. But all in all she's doing really well . (Still in nappies at night and for her day sleep because she sleeps longer that way!).

Thanks to Meganpixel for my beautiful siggie!
January 4th, 2012, 07:25 AM
Shea131's Avatar Peyton Rylee's Mommy!!
I don't think peyton is ready (or maybe I'm not ready?) Lol. But really she doesn't tell me she has to pee and I only know when she's pooping cuz it's well obvious. And I ask if she wants to go poop on the potty and she says NOOOOO!! I hope potty training isn't a nightmare! Honestly it scares me thinking about it and I dread it.

Thank you Quantum_Leap for my fabulous signature!!!
January 4th, 2012, 07:50 AM
Katie81's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We haven't started here but I don't think he is ready yet. We didn't start with my older one until a few months before her 3rd birthday and she got it within a few weeks...day and night trained. I want him trained before his third birthday for a cruise I am thinking about booking, but I think we will hold off on starting for another 3-6 months.
January 5th, 2012, 06:21 AM
LisaBrown's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We ask her often and she'll sit on it, but she hasn't done anything in the potty yet. We're just taking it as it comes and hopefully one day she'll just get it and we'll go from there. I don't think she's quite ready yet, but she's staying dry for hours at a time and lets me know when she pees some of the time, so I'm guessing she'll get the hang of it in the next few months. Maybe by her 2nd birthday, if we're lucky. I don't want to rush it, but the sooner the better especially since her little bum is very sensitive and prone to terrible diaper rashes. I'll be so glad when that's all over with! Knock on wood, but the creams the dermatologist prescribed a few weeks ago have made a huge difference and she has no rash in sight ATM, so I hope it stays that way!

January 5th, 2012, 08:31 AM
mimi81's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We just got brynn a potty last week and she's gone on it a few times so far. she loves to sit on it though ! right now were not pushing it its just there to use if she wants and we try at night. my hope is to have her potty trained when im on maternity leave so i can actually work with her then.

[IMG][/IMG]

January 15th, 2012, 06:06 PM
Bosley's Avatar Hillary
I have no clue how to get started!!!! Jamie isn't quite ready yet, but he does tell me when he has a poop now, so maybe in a few months he will be ready. We have a potty and he thinks its funny to sit on it but he only sits for about 10 seconds and then he is off running around again, even if I try to distract him with toys and books. Seriously, how do you start???

January 15th, 2012, 06:31 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosley View Post
I have no clue how to get started!!!! Jamie isn't quite ready yet, but he does tell me when he has a poop now, so maybe in a few months he will be ready. We have a potty and he thinks its funny to sit on it but he only sits for about 10 seconds and then he is off running around again, even if I try to distract him with toys and books. Seriously, how do you start???
Starting just depends on the parent and child. I have always just put the kids in panties one day and that is it. First day, I took them every 30 minutes or so to just sit on the potty. Tons of praise when they went as well. Then, after that they were pretty much good to go. Both of them hated me taking them the first day and wanted to go when they wanted to go, so by the 2nd day they would just go in there and yell if they needed help.

I have friends that did a potty party where when their LO woke up that day the house was all decorated, they ran around naked all day and tons of praise for going. They got a present (panties, a book, etc).

I have other friends that have always done a reward system - like one M&M for pee and 2 for poop (we did this for a week with Lily after Vi was born since she regressed, but then we stopped as soon as she was back on track). You can also do stickers every time they go, etc.

And then there is the 3 day potty training thing, which varies depending on who you talk to/what you read. But basically, you have LO at home naked or at least bottom half naked for 3 days. You take them often to potty, and if they start having an accident you take them to potty immediately, etc. It's basically just 3 days super focused in on potty training.

January 15th, 2012, 06:48 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We are such a long way off from this... bec/ of the speech/comprehension delay he doesnt tell me when he goes or anything and i'm sure he wont for quite a while yet. I might get him a potty anyway and just try to get him to sit on it when i'm in the bathroom but much to my dismay, i can see not really getting rolling on PT until he's at least 2.5 if not 3

January 15th, 2012, 07:54 PM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
Sam, I wouldn't get too down on not starting until he's 2.5-3. Kaija STILLLLL isn't really getting it most of the time. It's extremely frustrating! We started with her when she was 18-19 months old because she was showing an interest. But here we are, she's now officially 4, and still has daily accidents and rarely poops in the potty. I'll be talking to her Dr. about it tomorrow because it just doesn't seem normal anymore. She had 2-3 full weeks without an accident just before Thanksgiving and as soon as Grammy and Grampy rolled in to town she stopped. Just like that. And we've had similar situations since.

That said, I'll start seriously working with Kolbie when she turns 2. She is showing some interest and has accidentally peed on the potty once and pooped once when she was constipated and the only way for her to work it out was to sit her on the potty and let her bend over. THAT was terrible!
January 16th, 2012, 07:24 AM
Bosley's Avatar Hillary
Quote:
I have always just put the kids in panties one day and that is it. First day, I took them every 30 minutes or so to just sit on the potty. Tons of praise when they went as well.
So is it basically "lucky timing" the first few times and then they start to (hopefully) comprehend that pee/poop goes in the potty? With any of the methods do you "explain" to them that they are supposed to make pee/poop in the potty?

January 16th, 2012, 02:23 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I told them when I put them in panties (and before that when they saw me in the bathroom, etc) that pee and poop go in the potty and not in their panties. Both girls only had pee accidents and they did not like the feel of urine going down their legs. I'd just pick them up and put them on the potty and say "pee goes in the potty, not in your panties." That was it. People told me I had it easy with Lily and no way would Vi be that easy, but she was pretty much the same, except she continued to wet the bed a few times that first week.

January 16th, 2012, 07:53 PM
amazing_love's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I thought Camden wasn't at all ready because i bought him a potty and he showed practically no interest so i let it go. Then last week i went to the bathroom so i had him sit down on his potty. He tried to get up and i told him to sit on it until i was done so he sat back down and started grunting and pooped! I was shocked and gave him a lot of praise and ever since when he sits down i'll see him trying to go (his tummy tightens). He'll go pee in the potty at least once a day but i haven't actually taken the steps to completely train him, mostly because i'm not sure how i want to go about it. Sometimes through the day he'll come up to me and pat his diaper so i'll rush him in but by then its too late so i can tell he's telling me when he notices he's peeing/pooping and not before hand. So that makes me wonder if he's 100% ready. How do i get him to tell me BEFORE he goes? I've been pretty nauseous and exhausted so haven't wanted to take the effort to do alot right now (clean up a bunch of accidents, etc.)

January 16th, 2012, 07:58 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Krista, I'd just try him in underwear and see what happens. Neither girl really told me before they needed to go prior to starting potty training, but after one or two pee accidents they started telling me.

January 17th, 2012, 11:51 AM
Kittynoah's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Jed is sort of afraid of the little potty, so we just got a new lid for the toilet that has a built in "child" potty. The little potty lid lifts up into the normal toilet lid. I'm hoping that will help.

January 17th, 2012, 12:41 PM
amazing_love's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twhylite21 View Post
Krista, I'd just try him in underwear and see what happens. Neither girl really told me before they needed to go prior to starting potty training, but after one or two pee accidents they started telling me.
Where are the best places to buy underwear?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search