Question? **Edited**

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 3rd, 2012, 05:21 PM
kemper2.0's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Is it normal for a 16 month old to sleep.... all the time? I am getting kind of concerned that he sleeps too much. Thankfully he has cut out one of his naps during the day so he is down to one, but that one lasts for 4 hours. He goes to sleep at 8pm and 9 times out of 10 doesn't wake up before 11:30, today was 12:45. He stays awake for a little while and goes back down around 2 and sleeps until 6. I know that they go through growth spurts, but it has been this way for a few months now. I am just worried something is wrong

I am going to ask his pediatrician when I set up an appointment for him, but thought I would get advice from you all in the meantime.

Kat, mommy to Gideon (9-8-10) and Arie (7-6-12), and Evangeline River (3-27-14)

Last edited by kemper2.0; January 5th, 2012 at 10:40 AM.
January 3rd, 2012, 05:31 PM
VeronicaBride's Avatar Jen
Wow that does seem like a lot. I feel like Hudson sleeps a fair amount but not that much. Hudson goes to bed at 7pm and wakes at 7am. He usually has a morning nap (about an hour) at 10am and then another 1.5-2 hours in the afternoon. If he only has one nap then it isn't uncommon for it to be 3 hours. I do think lots of sleep during growth spurts is very normal but this does seem longer than a growth spurt. I would definitely mention it to the pedi.

January 3rd, 2012, 05:31 PM
-Trish-'s Avatar Mom to 3boys & a Princess
So he sleeps 14-16 straight hours, is awake 2 and sleeps 4 more? I would definitely be concerned if it was me. I hope his pediatrician has some answers for you hun.

I know you've said he has a very hefty appetite as well....maybe it's his thyroid, I know problems with it can make you very sleepy too.

Thank you so much Alethia for my GORGEOUS siggy!!

Last edited by -Trish-; January 3rd, 2012 at 06:02 PM.
January 3rd, 2012, 05:35 PM
KimberlyAnn327's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If you are concerned, definitely make an appointment. It certainly can't hurt. When Jordan was that age, he slept a lot but not that much. Probably about 10 hours overnight and 4-5 hours during the day. Finally at 18 months, I cut out his morning nap. Who knows how long it would have gone on if I hadn't cut it.

January 3rd, 2012, 05:41 PM
irish luck's Avatar *Callie*
That does seem like alot of sleep, maybe he needs more iron?

My friend has a 18 month old who sleeps 6:45 pm til 10:30-11:30am

hope your dr can give you answers!

THANK YOU Jaidynsmum
FOR THE GREAT SIGGY!

Gavin Betsy
January 3rd, 2012, 05:56 PM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow, that's like a newborn. The fact that he's only awake for about 4 hours a day is odd to me. It can't hurt mentioning it. Maybe they can check his blood levels or seomthing. Or it could be something as simple as needing to wake him up a few hours before he wakes on his own in the mornings?

January 3rd, 2012, 06:23 PM
Platinum Supermommy
This sounds like a lot to me too. Milan sleeps 10 hours at night and 2 - 3 hours during the day. He is not the best sleeper in the world.

Thanks Claire1979 for my awesome siggy.
January 3rd, 2012, 06:33 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Is he definitely asleep the whole time or does he wake some and then fall back asleep? If he's asleep the whole time, it does seem to be quite a bit. Lukas slept about 16 hours a day until 20 months or so, then by 24 months he dropped to about 12 hours.
January 3rd, 2012, 06:42 PM
amonstersmomma's Avatar Coetta Dawn
I hope the pedi gives you some answers, that does seem like a bit much. Is it possible he wakes up during the night and you dont hear him?

January 3rd, 2012, 06:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Kris~ View Post
Is he definitely asleep the whole time or does he wake some and then fall back asleep? If he's asleep the whole time, it does seem to be quite a bit. Lukas slept about 16 hours a day until 20 months or so, then by 24 months he dropped to about 12 hours.

I am actually wondering this. Maybe he does wake up in the middle of the night and plays or something? I don't have a video monitor, so I can't know for sure. He is still in a crib so he can't get out to play with his toys, but sometimes I do let him go to sleep with a toy or two.

January 3rd, 2012, 07:05 PM
::april.showers::'s Avatar April- Mama of 4
Autumn sleeps from 8:30-6:30AM- with usually 1-3 wake ups and BARELY a nap during the day- I am lucky to get an hour nap from her during the day. I would be concerned, if it was solid sleep- but if there's a chance he's awake during that time- that would be a bit reassuring. Definitely make an appt in my opinion (((HUGS)))

Thank you GraysMama for another amazing siggy!
January 3rd, 2012, 07:30 PM
Super Mommy
Evan sleeps from about 8pm until 6:30am. His nap time varies quite a bit. He usually naps for about 45 mins and sometimes up to 2 hours. I think all babies are different of course, but I would ask.

January 3rd, 2012, 07:35 PM
uvatigger's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
When is the appt
I would ask about thyroid
When I learned about my issue I could sleep for 18 hrs aday

January 3rd, 2012, 08:19 PM
RunningWithBoys's Avatar Amanda
That sounds like a lot to me too, but every baby is different. I hope your ped can give you some answers.

January 4th, 2012, 06:59 AM
~SavedbyGrace~'s Avatar ~Nichole~
Wow! When was he awake when he took more than this one nap? So he sometimes, 9 times out of 10 sleeps as much as 20 hours a day?? If it were me, I would be very worried too. I hope the pedi takes it seriously and looks into possibly his thyroid. If you aren't sure if he is waking, I think I would make it a point to go in and find out. Do you have a sound monitor? Even if he is waking, that is a lot of solitary time...he needs more interaction with people.
January 4th, 2012, 04:15 PM
*MomofO&Nat*'s Avatar Kelly, Massachusetts Mama
That does seem like an awful lot. I would definitely make an appt. to check it out. Nat goes down at 715pm and sleeps only until 630am if I am lucky. Then, she cat naps 11-130 in the car and sleeps 115-300ish for her big nap. I wonder about thyroid or apnea? If he is waking a lot from apnea, then falling back alseep it could make him drowsy enough to stay alseep for long periods of time. Does he seem tired when he IS awake? Like groggy acting?
Natalie Laura (9/14/10)
Harrison Dean (2/22/13)
Proud Member of the September 2010 Playroom

January 4th, 2012, 06:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by *MomofO&Nat* View Post
\ Does he seem tired when he IS awake? Like groggy acting?
Nope. When he wakes up he is active and playful. I only put him back down for a nap when he gets cranky and starts rubbing his eyes.

Today was a little better. He woke up at 9:30 and went down for a nap from 12-3 and went down again at 5, slept for an hour and a half (6:30) and went down for the night at 9. I still think that's too much...

January 4th, 2012, 06:32 PM
LifenTheFastLane's Avatar Mommy 2 Rhys~Rhylee~Jessa
I agree with everyone else about getting him checked out soon, that would worry me as well.
Jessa goes to bed at 8pm, wakes up at 6am and wakes up 3-5 times a night.
She takes one two hour nap during the day. so she is usually awake at least 10 hours a day.
January 4th, 2012, 06:57 PM
AtomicMama's Avatar CopperBoom!
If he's sleeping from 8-12 and napping from 2-6 on most days, that's about 4 non-consecutive waking hours a day. With eating and bathing, there is so little time for him to have any time to learn or explore or develop or interact, let alone for you and he to get out of the house at all. That's VERY abnormal and really concerning. I would definitely call his pedi right away to see if he has any immediate advice, and if he can get you guys in soon. Like Nichole said, even if he's waking at points in the night, it's still a LOT of solitary time.

January 4th, 2012, 07:16 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hubby and I have often said that we think Lukas was sleeping/being quiet in his crib the 16 hours a day because he wasn't hearing us. So whether he was with us or not, it really didn't matter to him because he wasn't hearing us (not saying that's the case at with G though!) and that when we forced the 1 nap a day finally at 20 months and then got his ears fixed (tubes) at 2 it was like a light flipped for him! The world came alive to him and that's why he didn't want to nap anymore!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search