No words and EI

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 6th, 2012, 04:36 PM
RunningWithBoys's Avatar Amanda
So Luke doesn't have any words. None. He babbles all day long and is the happiest little camper on the block, but there are not any recognizable words. I talked to my ped this week about it at his 15 mo appt. I haven't been too concerned until this point. He said that at 15 mo they should have four to eight words. Like I said, BIG FAT ZERO. He said that a word may not even be a word. It is a recognizable repeating pattern of sounds that he makes for the same object. SO baba for ball. Or wawa for water. You get the picture. What luke does is nonsense toward everything. He won't even repeat what I say. Like I said, I wasn't really concerned about it until now. Even when I read the thread on 'what words everyone was saying' I thought, Oh that's nice for them. It is so cute when babies start talking. I might have been a little jealous, but not enough to really let it effect me.

So now it is time to do something. Since he has a 40% delay (god I hate that word), the ped said to go ahead and start the paperwork for EI, just in case. So if he still isn't talking in 18 months we can start receiving treatment. It's free and a great program. So I guess on Monday I will make the call.

No real reason to post this. It is just something that not a lot of people understand and I know you ladies would sympathize.

January 6th, 2012, 05:37 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hugs Amanda. I hope Luke's vocab explodes and all your worries fade away. It is awesome, however, to know that there is a wonderful FREE program in place to help him if it is required. Keep us posted on his progress.

Thanks Claire1979 for my awesome siggy.
January 6th, 2012, 06:01 PM
J9+J+C=Complete's Avatar Charlotte & Jacob's Mommy
A, you are in education. Just try to remember the different paces!!! Easier said than done, but try!!!! I bet a big part of it is having a big brother talk for him. Total second child syndrome! Glad you are being proactive, but try to remember....he will get there!!!!

Hugs, friend!
January 6th, 2012, 06:23 PM
AtomicMama's Avatar CopperBoom!

I'm glad that his pedi is being proactive, but I hope that he does have a word explosion before his next apt. Have you talked to day care at all about it? I know with Max, they heard him saying words before I did.

January 6th, 2012, 06:41 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Try not to worry too much. My Lukas was the same way. The doctors didn't seem to have much concern, so I tried not to worry. Shortly before 2 his ear infections started up again and the ENT agreed that we needed to have tubes put in. He had always passed the hearing tests at the ENT and for EI, which were a noise like static that they tried to see if he reacted to it. Even though he heard the noise, he had what they call glue ear (excess fluid that had become sticky/nasty) that prevented him from hearing most things we said clearly. Amazingly he was able to follow a few simple commands. We joke that we probably sounded like the adults in Charlie Brown, no wonder he likes it so much.

All that to say, I'd have the ped refer you to an ENT to really check his ears to make sure he doesn't have anything like that going on. Does he get a lot of colds/ear infections or does he have a runny nose a lot?

Even though Lukas fell quite a bit behind (no words at 2 years old), the tubes, EI and now speech has him almost caught up. Not saying anything is no longer a problem!
January 6th, 2012, 07:41 PM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
Interesting about the ears, Kris. Kellen has a runny nose ALL the time, and I've just chalked it up to all the teeth coming in...

But...

He's the same way

He says mama and dada and that's it. He says MAAAAA for either milk or mine or more, I don't know what. He doesn't even say no or up. He does say "tatoo" for Thank you. Does that count?

I'm not worried one bit, and neither is my doc. I guess everyone has different expectations. Now, give it another month or two and I'll definitely get his ears checked and then think of other interventions...

By the by I thought "EI" was Emotional Intelligence. Goes to show our difference in foundations

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
January 6th, 2012, 08:25 PM
irish luck's Avatar *Callie*

Amanda, I just wanted to let you know that I understand what you are feeling. I write this a mom who has known her son was behind and still went home to cry after the dr agreed that he was "delayed" and would start the paper work the next month if he didnt make significant improvements (that was for Logan).... He did end up making the improvements on his own but I just wanted to let you know u are so not alone in having a hard time with that word

Gavin is so far behind as well, I have to make myself do the paperwork tomorrow

Big Hugs, and i totally agree all kids do certain things at different times, and agree that being on the mom end is super hard when in one of these discussions
Hugs!

THANK YOU Jaidynsmum
FOR THE GREAT SIGGY!

Gavin Betsy
January 7th, 2012, 06:24 AM
mrsdaiwa24's Avatar Amy, soon-to-be-mama of 2
I know all of our little ones are growing at different rates, but it does worry me that Betsy's vocab is so small. Like Kellen, she doesn't even say "up" and "no". Even though our pedi doesn't seem to be concerned, from what Luke's pedi is saying, maybe i should be.

I do understand some of what you're feeling. I hope these little ones have a huge word explosion soon. Keep us posted!
January 7th, 2012, 08:56 AM
~Constance~
(((HUG))) They don't count signs as words? I thought you had posted before about Luke signing.
It's hard to know at this point if there is really a problem. My 9yo had/has the worst delays but he knew a lot of words by this age. He never babbled though. DD #1's problem was mostly social. She wasn't interested in communicating with us. She just wanted to be in her fun little world for as long as possible. Fairfax has hit every average milestone like her brother but she babbles a fair amount. She also signs 10+ things and truly wants to communicate. She'll imitate what we try to teach her.
It makes me uncomfortable to hear and say the word "delay" too. It's not entirely accurate. When you look at the numbers of kids in therapy for being "delayed" you have to start questioning the statistics they use to create these averages for milestones.
There's no harm in being prepared for therapy though should it come to that. I know you'll do the right thing to help Luke succeed!
January 7th, 2012, 09:00 AM
alethia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
:Hugs: Hugs Amanda -- i know how you feel, just like Kaylee and rolling or sitting up well or all the other stuff she couldn't do (like move around) until she was enrolled in the early intervention physical therapy. It's so great when pedi's and parents are pro-active. If he's just babbling - I would also maybe take him to an ENT and have his hearing checked... lil B was very similar with slow words and once he had "word" really i was only the one that could understand most of them - because he was saying what he thought people where saying by low sounds and lip movements. It is possible that he's just not hearing words so he's babbling how he wants or thinks he should. You're doing the right thing. Sometimes it also just takes a little push and knowing exactly how to help them. Hang in there mama!

Also, my uncle didn't say any words until he was 2 and his first "word" was "I want a cookie NOW!" he was holding out.
January 7th, 2012, 11:10 AM
I should probably clarify that I was more "worried" about it than the ped. He is used to dealing with high strung parents and every time he mentioned EI he said, "We aren't doing anything yet. You are just contacting them now because the paperwork takes a couple months. Plus I think it will make you feel better being proactive." He's been our ped for 4 years. I think he kinda gets me.
So Amy, don't be worried!! My ped isn't, but knows I am an action taker so suggested the EI paperwork now.

Gywnne - I soooo count tatoo! I think that is the cutest thing! Looks like Kellen has 4 or even 5 words! I love tatoo - how cute! And EI (in my education world) has been emotional intelligence for years. Funny how things change in my head post kiddo.

Kris - he's only had 3 ear infections. His nose runs pretty bad when teeth are coming in, but not all the time. He cut 2 molars over Christmas and his nose ran for 2 weeks. His had 2 ear infections back to back in Sept and Oct. He has to go back at 18 months. I will ask about that when I go. He did check his ears at this appt and declared them "happy", whatever that means.

J9 - You are right. I also find myself comparing him to Evan too much. And with Evan being my social talker, I don't think I can do that much longer. Luke is really my reserved silent type. I think that will just mean when he does talk people will listen. Compared to how I usually react, I am doing pretty good publicly. I'll just say things like "He's the strong silent type" or "no words yet, but mommy and daddy don't get a word in edgewise with big brother around!"

Callie - I'll be your rock if you are mine.... BIG HUGS TO YOU!

Amy - I told daycare my concerns but haven't asked them if he's talked yet. They did tell me he babbles with inflection and waits his turn to talk in "conversations". So that is encouraging.

Constance - our signing has slowed down. He does sign more, all done, drink (my own made up sign), and shakes his head no when he doesn't want something. Not as big of a list as Evan had (there I go again) but he can and does do those.

Alethia - I remember when Kaylee went through all that! And then all the sudden she was moving and grooving well beyond her months! I hope that is Luke.

Thanks ladies. I really really really appreciate each and every reply. I am just going to keep loving that little monster, talking to him, and letting him be a sweet 16 month old baby.

January 7th, 2012, 05:31 PM
amymgem's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I know I haven't posted in a long time, I just wanted to say that I'm sorry you're so worried. It is sooo hard not to worry about each and every thing (at least that's how I am), so I completely understand. That being said, it seems that all babies really do develop in their own time and I think that what his daycare told you is promising. It also seems that these babies often times have "explosions" where they suddenly are walking or talking or whatever milestone it is that they decide to suddenly hit. I'm guessing that is what will happen with Luke. And if not, it's great that your Pedi is so proactive. In the meantime, try to stay positive!

January 7th, 2012, 05:58 PM
TanyaMM's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'd be the take action kind of mom too - so I think you are doing the right thing for you. Plus any free program can only help right? So no harm in filling out the paper work. But sending you (and everyone who needs them) big hugs for having to worry. I'm hoping for some words soon too.

I chuckled a bit because I thought EI meant Employment Insurance. In Canada it's our income replacement program (like what you get from the government when you are off on maternity leave, etc) so I was really confused when I first started reading

Thank you GraysMama for the awesome Siggy

January 7th, 2012, 06:24 PM
*MomofO&Nat*'s Avatar Kelly, Massachusetts Mama
Oh, Amanda. The things I could tell you. You probably know about my soapbox and EI. If you don't, PM me and I will give you some details. Let's just say as a former EI employee for 8 years AND a Mom of a little boy who desperately needed and benefited from the services, go for it without hesitation. It can only help. In a perfect world, every child, delayed or not should get EI. 1:1 floor time with developmentally appropriate play that encourages speech, motor, self help, social skills and attention to task cannot be a bad thing. I told you, I am up on a soap box here. I wish Natalie could get it. She didn't qualify just barely back when she was about 12 months and I had her tested for gross motor delay. I was hoping she would. And just like you said, he may be saying tons of words by the time they get all the paper work, evaluation, IFSP in place. That ALWAYS happens! I can't tell you the number of times we went out, did all the prep work and got a call that he/she was doing much better and no longer needed help. Kids are amazing, the things they can do.
Natalie Laura (9/14/10)
Harrison Dean (2/22/13)
Proud Member of the September 2010 Playroom

January 8th, 2012, 12:29 PM
~SavedbyGrace~'s Avatar ~Nichole~

Aww sweetie, wish I could give you a hug.

You sound like you are in great hands with your pedi being so proactive. Hopefully it's all for nothing, and I really think it will be!
January 15th, 2012, 06:54 AM
The EI case worker is coming on Wednesday morning. We are doing the evaluation at home even though my daycare said they are more than welcome to watch/evaluation him at school. I just don't want the distractions. Whenever anyone new walks in their room all the kids walk over and want to play. I think it would be nice to show his interaction (social behavior) around peers, which is right on target, but I think it is more important for her to see him without any other distractions.

He has started babbling more unified sounds instead of jibberish. I am sure we are on the break of something. Or...it could be that I am making these sounds something they really aren't. We'll see what she has to say on Wednesday.

January 15th, 2012, 10:39 AM
mrsdaiwa24's Avatar Amy, soon-to-be-mama of 2
Yay for more jibberish! I hope Luke is ready for a word explosion. Hope the evaluation goes well!
January 15th, 2012, 10:52 AM
irish luck's Avatar *Callie*
Yay for more jibberish! we are starting more of that too..... I have to make the call this week for Gavin (I am having an issue figuring out exactly the route I am suppost to go cus the progam the dr wanted seems to a special progam only run out of that city.. but i am not in that city and unrealistic for me to go to each week)

Good idea to have the first eval at home, it will give a truer (Not sure that is a real word) picture of where he is at. Will you do the therapy at school? that will let them also see the other parts of him.... if u are worried about getting the info from the worker easier maybe they would do half and half (home/school)... that would make it easier to communicate but also easier to schedule

Big hugs,will have you i my mind on Wed! Let us know how it goes!

THANK YOU Jaidynsmum
FOR THE GREAT SIGGY!

Gavin Betsy
January 15th, 2012, 11:07 AM
whitehouse's Avatar My name is Kelli :)
How did I miss this??? HUGS Amanda! I'm so glad that you are getting more jibberish! Let us know how the appointment goes Wednesday! You are an amazing mom!!

.fearfully and wonderfully made.
eli grey // jude lawrence
forever loving Finley
January 15th, 2012, 11:17 AM
AtomicMama's Avatar CopperBoom!
That's great, Amanda! I'm glad he seems to be babbling more Keep us posted on Wednesday! We'll be thinking about you guys!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search