How would you correct this behavior?

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 8th, 2012, 11:33 AM
QuaintandQuirky's Avatar Keri
I have to preface my problem with the fact that it's a struggle to get Amelia to drink from a cup. She's partly nursed, but I spend much of the day trying to get her to drink anything from a cup.

That being said, when she does drink, she always ends her sip by spitting the milk or water all down the front of her on purpose. It's like sip, sip, sip, open mouth, dribble or bubbles down the front. (This is not her not knowing how to drink from a cup, she's been drinking from a cup for months and months. This is a brand new thing over the past couple of weeks)

I've tried telling her no, being stern, saying "Mommy said no." The sterner I got, the more she did it.
So I tried ignoring, thinking she was doing it to get a rise out of me. Nope, she continued to do it no matter if I was looking or not.

I just take the cup away every time she does this, but, like I said, getting her to drink at all is a big struggle, so I can't take it away forever.

Should I just wait until she does not find this funny anymore? It's annoying, because the dog, floor, her clothes, whatever is in her path ends up covered in milk or water.

Would you and/or HOW would you correct this behavior?

January 8th, 2012, 11:42 AM
-Trish-'s Avatar Mom to 3boys & a Princess
I have no idea...Elaina does this too if I give her milk in a cup. She drinks juice just fine but if she finds milk in it forget it (she is also breastfed). She drinks water from it too and sometimes she drinks it and the other half of the time she spits it out...I have no idea but I guess she probably does it to show me that that isn't what she wants to drink at that moment

Thank you so much Alethia for my GORGEOUS siggy!!

January 8th, 2012, 11:43 AM
AtomicMama's Avatar CopperBoom!
What kind of cup is she using? The first thing I might try is switching her to a straw cup, since it puts the liquid into the back of her throat, it's harder to hold it in her mouth.

Since it's a struggle to get her to drink, it's a really tough issue! Does she ever WANT her cup/a drink?

January 8th, 2012, 12:12 PM
Super Mommy
I am sorry I can't be of help...
Evan is still BFing and he still has not ever drank any milk. Lately, I have been putting sugar in it and trying to give it to him on his stroller walks. But, nope! He will not drink one drop. He rarely attempts and when he does he spits it right out. He doesn't drink juice either. He does drink some water out of a sippy though.
Hope things get better for you soon.

January 8th, 2012, 01:55 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Teresa did this for awhile when she was really resisting drinking from a cup, but knock on wood that has been better lately. She is also still breastfed. Yesterday and today she has been spitting out some of her yogurt. We tell her no, keep it in your mouth, etc but after 3x we take it away. I hate taking it away because I do need her to eat, she eats very little it seems, but I also do not want her to think she can keep doing it.
January 9th, 2012, 05:55 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Does she do it right away or after satisfying her thirst? I am asking because Milan throws his food on the floor and we are also struggling with stopping it. I have noticed that he throws if when he is not hungry any more or not hungry. I tell him ''give it to mommy'' and he hands it to me. Try giving her her drinks with meals or snacks only. She will be thirsty for it and she will be covered with a bib.
Remember that everything is a phase. She will stop this soon and move on to the next annoying thing.

Thanks Claire1979 for my awesome siggy.
January 9th, 2012, 06:58 PM
alethia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i would try to find a cup that makes her feel ok by it and is a little more controlled - i.e. a straw cup. if she still takes sips and spits it out ... personally i would let her do it and not react .. she may just be checking things out, or she maybe trying to get a reaction ... if you just let her do it, she may move on more quickly. I would also praise her really well when she does a great sip and keeps it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search