Car Discipline

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 11th, 2012, 07:06 AM
WomanInTheMoon's Avatar Courtney
How would you discipline for screaming in the car? Or is it even really possible at this age?

Ryker is mind boggling bad in the car. He starts screaming before you get to the car and arches/hits/kicks while you try to buckle him. It's not every single time, but it's more often than not. He is ok with his sitter during the day because there is another kid to entertain him. He's also better in my husbands car because we put the DVD player in there. But, in my little truck for the 10 minute car ride in the morning I just don't need the headache.

I tell him where we're going. Tell him to hush. I've tried making my mad face and using the same words that work in the house to get him to chill out. But he looses his mind. I know part of the problem is that he's newly awake and mildly cranky. He's ok in the house in the AM, but then looses it when his butt hits the seat. He had been better for awhile with cheerios, but that seems to be over, and he's really really trying to get me to let him out.

I know this is another stage that he'll get better, but maybe I can get some more ideas. I'm going to try some new/different foods. A sippy. I think the dvd player is out cause it will be such a hassle to put in/take out every day.

I'd really like a way to talk to him so that he'll "get" it. That we're not in here forever and it's just the same car trip as yesterday. But, maybe it's still too soon.

January 11th, 2012, 07:34 AM
amymgem's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I assume he is forward facing? Wren was horrid when she faced backwards-it got worlds better when we moved her forward.

She's still not always an angel, so when she is bad we put on her favorite music (does Ryker have anything that he loves to listen to?) or give her a special snack (currently it is Pirate Booty...if you haven't tried this, you must! It's pretty healthy too). She also loves to look at her books in the car or we sing a special song. Yes, it can be quite a production.

Not sure about disciplining for this though. I wouldn't even know where to begin!

January 11th, 2012, 07:47 AM
white.house's Avatar Kelli
Part of me thinks that he wouldn't really "get" the discipline in the car at this stage because what he is doing isn't necessarily naughty, it's just his way of expressing that he is uncomfortable or scared or doesn't like being buckled or bored. I hope that makes sense.
I think the best route to go is distraction and that is what I do with Eli, but then again you know Ryker best!

Eli is a trooper in the car, but I think it has to do with how much we go on roadtrips and the "practice". This weekend we went 7 hours in our car, just me and him, with no tears! I was shocked!
Towards the end he would start to fuss and I would distract him with lots of things, it worked!! I fed him his favorite snacks, sang to him, restarted his movie to his favorite part, talked to him a lot, asked him questions like "where is the truck?", gave him "non-baby" items to look at and play with (my wallet, a doctor's appnt card, a straw). Try giving books, toys, etc. Distraction always seems to work best for us.
Is he FF? Maybe a mirror would be entertaining? Does he ride in a car everyday?
I hope you can figure out what works best for him! I just hate when Eli throws a fit in the car and I can only imagine the frustration you must feel!

eli grey [9.15.10]
jude lawrence [11.9.12]
forever loving our best girl, finley [born still 10.30.11]
January 11th, 2012, 08:05 AM
AtomicMama's Avatar CopperBoom!
Kelli had some great suggestions! I agree with the discraction over discipline at this age. I don't think what he is doing is necessarily him being bad, just expressing that he doesn't want to get in the car for whatever reason. To be honest, if he's the worst in the morning on the way to day care, it may be because he knows he's going to day care and doesn't want to. Even if he's fine when he gets there, it may be related?

I use lots of distraction with Max, snacks, Fisher Price games on my phone, his sippy cup, anything I can find in the car that he wants to play with. He has an Optimus Prime from a Burger King kids meal that says "Autobots, Roll Out" when you press a button, and he gets intrigued with it, so that lives in the car and comes out to stop a melt down

January 11th, 2012, 10:39 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Ditto to trying more distraction at this point. Every once in a great while, Teresa fusses about getting in, but that's usually only if we've made multiple stops already and she's getting tired or hungry. Usually I ask her-do you want a toy? She responds with "yeah" (although this is her repsonses if you ask her anything ) but I hand her a toy and then I can get her to sit fully into the seat so I can buckle her. She likes the Leap Frog ABC guy we have and the Leap Frog counting phone, as long as Lukas doesn't steal them from her. She also has fun pulling her canopy up and down (she's still in her bucket seat).
January 11th, 2012, 05:02 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We get occasional melt downs in the car. Mostly while buckling up... I also do distraction .. mention that a train is passing, asking where the car is. Sing once I get into my seat. He likes hand games. Stuff like patty cake.
January 11th, 2012, 06:21 PM
mrsdaiwa24's Avatar Amy, soon-to-be-mama of 2
Distraction works well with Betsy. She has her couple of car loves that she gets Sony when we're driving. For long drives, I take her shoes off, put a warm blanket over her, and take her hat off -- she looks so comfy back there! When we start approaching meltdown status (which doesn't happen often, but it still happens), I'll sing either "old McDonald" or "The 12 Days of Christmas" (I have no idea why she likes this song, but it can calm her down). Oh, and she always gets her water cup too.

Good luck! I hope you can find some new things to distract him with. The other ladies are right -- distraction is definitely the way to go.
January 12th, 2012, 06:02 AM
::april.showers::'s Avatar April- Mama of 4
^^everyone has great suggestions! My little 'trick' is that I have several 'car only' fun toys that I keep in a little basket- old keys, a little toy that has a ton of buttons for her to push and it makes all different kind of sounds, and of course treats.. This is what works for us, although she is still fussy after 15 or 20 minutes no matter what I give her ugh

Thank you GraysMama for another amazing siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search