Brushing teeth advice

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 11th, 2012, 06:33 PM
mrsdaiwa24's Avatar Amy, soon-to-be-mama of 2
Betsy has decided that brushing her teeth is simply awful. Full on tantrums, screams, crying -- you'd never know that just a couple of weeks ago we could brush her teeth multiple times a day without issue. As far as I can tell, she's not teething -- and even if she were, she never had major issues with brushing her teeth during it, even with the molars.

Is there any advice you can give me on making this more enjoyable and less tantrum like? It's so bad that we're talking about changing a major part of her bedtime routine to accommodate the tooth brushing tantrums. She still gets a milk bottle before bed -- DH gives her the bottle in her dark room with her bedtime music playing and would immediately brush her teeth after (so she wasn't going to bed with milk in her mouth). But now, the tantrums are so bad that the whole calm routine is out the window and we may have to drop this comfort bottle in order to brush her teeth and calm her down before bed.

(And yes, I know that she doesn't need this last bottle and I should get her off of it. But she still likes the comfort of it and DH really enjoys giving it to her. She doesn't use it to fall asleep, so I don't see the real harm in it.)

Thanks in advance!!!
January 11th, 2012, 07:06 PM
amonstersmomma's Avatar Coetta Dawn
Caleb throws a tantrum occasionally when we brush his teeth and we change things up they might work for miss Betsy:

Have you tried letting her brush her teeth? We let Caleb brush his own teeth in the mornings and it got him to like it more I think

He also does a lot better for daddy than he does for me

Sometimes when he's really crabby about it I sit him on the bathroom sink facing the mirror and brush them so he can see what's going on

A few times ive brushed his teeth while he was still in the bath with all his toys to distract him

January 11th, 2012, 09:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We are having a really tough time with it too. Never had any problems with brushing with my DD. So i would like to hear what other suggestions are there. Every time I give Michael the toothbrush to let him do it himself he throws it away.

January 12th, 2012, 04:41 AM
-Trish-'s Avatar Mom to 3boys & a Princess
I wish I had advice for you....Elaina is the same way...hates it! If she does it herself all she does is suck the paste off the brush. We got her a battery operated Dora brush and she thinks it's pretty neat. She still doesn't like getting her teeth brushed but as long as I can get the toothbrush head in her mouth, I know the rotating bristles are cleaning at least a little bit :/

Thank you so much Alethia for my GORGEOUS siggy!!

January 12th, 2012, 07:11 AM
Mom2#1Drakester's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I brush Drake's teeth with a toothbrush in my mouth. I let him hold on to my toothbrush and he is then ok with me moving his around his mouth too. If i do not do this then 9 times out of 10 he gets upset b/c he just wants to do it himself. This seems to distract him. If i let him do it himself he just pretty much sucks on it.
January 12th, 2012, 09:42 AM
amymgem's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wren doesn't particularly enjoy this activity, but she is MUCH better if we let her do it herself. She doesn't do a great job-and she still gets nursed to sleep (such a bad mommy!)-but I figure at this stage it is mostly about getting her used to the routine. She also really likes when we let her stand on the vanity so she can watch herself. And for whatever reason, she likes when we continually rinse the toothbrush...for example, she brushes for a minute, we rinse, she swipes her tongue, we rinse, etc. (we don't use toothpaste). She also tries to imitate what I am doing if I brush with her. Hope this helps!

January 12th, 2012, 10:33 AM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
Kellen's teeth are going to rot out of his mouth the way he brushes and REFUSES to let us brush (mouth clamps shut, NO WAY a toothbrush is getting in there)... I just let him chew on the toothbrush. We try to show him when we are all brushing and try to get Kensley to model too. He just hates it and wants all this teeth to fall out.

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
January 12th, 2012, 01:13 PM
niccimarie's Avatar Veteran
Mast hates his teeth brushed and he has bad bad teeth, im praying for better permanete teeth, it looks like he has decay already i took him to the dentist they are doing flouride treatments on it. but they look bad, i feel for the little guy, there not cavaties yet;( so we brish or wipe after food and brush 2-3 times a day . i lay him on his back and brush, he hates it sooo much, if i let him do it, he skips his top teeth and puts his big upper lips on it. good luck...
January 12th, 2012, 05:43 PM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have no advice at all bc Gabriel actually LOVES to brush his teeth!! I have no idea why but he'll often times make the motion to tell me he wants to brush his teeth all of the time throughout the day.
The only thing I can suggest is from being a nanny all of the parents always told me "Just put the toothpaste on it and give it to them. It's easier to let them chew/suck/brush them themselves than trying to force them to let you do it for them." So that's what I've always done. From day one I have always just given G the toothbrush himself and let him chew/suck/brush his own teeth. Maybe that's why he thinks it's fun? IDK. I also brush my teeth while he's brushing his so I can show him how to brush them. At the very end before I take it away I take it from him and brush them best I can for just a few seconds for him.

January 12th, 2012, 08:09 PM
alethia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Kaylee brushes BEFORE her last bottle .. i know .. whatever not the way it's supposed to go. But if i interrupt her calm that she's achieved with the last bottle - it's crazy. but it don't let her fall asleep keeping the bottle in her mouth or the milk in her mouth. as she get's older like with DS I'll push for last drink then brush but for now... sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeppppppppppppppppppppppppppp.
January 14th, 2012, 05:31 AM
mrsdaiwa24's Avatar Amy, soon-to-be-mama of 2
Thanks ladies! Trish, I like the idea of the spinning tooth brush -- that could get a few more little teeth cleaned. The last couple of days I've tried to brush them and when she absolutely refuses, I'm giving her the brush to chew on on some of you do. We've also started giving her an ounce of water after her milk bottle in the hopes that she can at least get the rest of the milk out of her mouth before she goes to bed.
January 14th, 2012, 10:36 AM
Platinum Supermommy
At this age I wouldn't make it a battle just because it could set them up to hate it later on. Teresa is the only kid who has liked to brush her teeth and this is only recently. She is a big fan of the spinning brush and often uses it while trying to go potty.
January 14th, 2012, 07:06 PM
RunningWithBoys's Avatar Amanda
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Kris~ View Post
At this age I wouldn't make it a battle just because it could set them up to hate it later on.
Ditto.
We made it a fun activity for E and never a battle. Even if she just plays with the toothbrush each night before bed that's part of her routine. She'll eventually get it and start putting it in her mouth, I promise.

January 15th, 2012, 04:44 PM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ohhh, using it while sitting on the potty. Now that's a whole new idea!
We've recently gotten G a little potty. I'm not sitting him on it but maybe twice a day just wanting him to get use to it. But for the kid that can't sit still long enough for one stinkin' photo...I've been trying to think of idea to keep him entertained long enough to somewhat try.

January 15th, 2012, 04:50 PM
*MomofO&Nat*'s Avatar Kelly, Massachusetts Mama
I did not get to read all the posts, but wanted to respond. I find repetition and predictability worked with Owen, so that is what we are doing with Nat. I do the same routine every night....in pjs, in sleep sack, go to bathroom, get tb out and then I sing a song to her I still sing to Owen. It think the song distracts her and she knows when she hears it that it is time to brush. It goes "This is the way we brush our teeth, brush our teeth, brush our teeth, this is the way we brush our teeth to make them nice and clean" and then I follow it with an exaggerated YAY!! to make her feel happy about completing the task. After the song, I let her hold the brush and chew on it and then we put water on it and rinse her mouth a bit. Then, we wave bye bye to the brush, put it in holder, wave bye bye in the mirror and turn out the bathroom light. I swear, she knows the routine and it has made brushing much easier since we started doing it. Same with Owen, he used to hate it but since we did the song and routine he just accepts it's part of the day/night.
Natalie Laura (9/14/10)
Harrison Dean (2/22/13)
Proud Member of the September 2010 Playroom

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search