Crock Pot Meals (OT)

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 12th, 2012, 07:35 PM
whitehouse's Avatar My name is Kelli :)
I don't know why I didn't think of posting this here before, but I don't use my crock pot nearly enough and could use some help with recipes. With mine and DH's schedule, crock pot meals would really make our lives so much simpler. I could throw together something before I leave for work and come back home with a nice homemade meal already done for when we finish working out!
I have been scouring the internet and my cook books for some good ideas, but was wondering if anyone here has any good crock pot recipes that they could share with me? TIA!

.fearfully and wonderfully made.
eli grey // jude lawrence
forever loving Finley
January 12th, 2012, 07:58 PM
alethia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
one of my Favorite's is Crock Pot Potato Soup w/ Kielbasa super hearty and filling (especially if you have crusty buttered bread on the side)

* 3 carrots * 1 large Polish Kielbasa (usually in your grocers bacon/sausage section) ... yes you can get regular or the cheddar, both rock.
* Potatoes (either baby Red or Regular - i really love baby red with it) * 1 large chopped onion * 2 cans chicken broth * 1 can cream of mushroom * 3/4 cup half and half * chopped chives (as much or little as you want) * 1 tub sour cream * shredded cheddar cheese (as much or as little as you want - i usually add at least 1 cup if not a tad more as it melts in)

* Slice kielbasa into 1/2" slices * Combine all in the crockpot except sour-cream and shredded cheese. Cook 4 1/2 hours; Then use whisk to smooth some of the potatoes - then add sour cream and shredded cheddar cheese. stir. and EAT!
January 12th, 2012, 08:03 PM
alethia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Next!

Slow Cooker Chicken
* chicken breast
* 1 tsp salt
* 1 tsp veg oil
1/2 c. salsa
1 can black beans
1 can corn
1 bunch fresh cilantro

(if you want you can also add 1 cup uncooked rice - if you want a thicker/heartier recipe but also add chicken broth for the rice -- usually 2 cups)

1/ Sprinkle chicken breast w/ salt and pepper and brown chicken in a hot ban w/ oil for a few minutes (brown each side to seal in juices) once browned slice/cut/ peal into pieces as you desire

2/ In slow cooker mix salsa, corn and beans and add chicken
3. cover and cook 6 hours
4. When ready to serve add fresh chopped cilantro (and if desired a do-lip of sour-cream)
(360 calories)

ps.... i really have a million more crock pot recipes from lasagna, to pizza, to cake to Swedish meatballs and noodles - if you want more you can email me ( nosek.alethia@gmail.com ) and i'll send you all you want - i feel a bit crazy posting them all

Last edited by alethia; January 12th, 2012 at 08:13 PM.
January 13th, 2012, 04:46 AM
~Constance~
There are several awesome blogs on the subject This one is great: A Year of Slow Cooking
One of my favorite things to make in my big crock is a whole rotisserie chicken. All you do is wad up some foil balls for the bottom of the crock, rub olive oil on a whole bird and sprinkle liberally with seasoned salt. Cook on high 6 hours and it tastes just like the real thing. Fall apart tender and juicy!
January 13th, 2012, 06:39 AM
amymgem's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Great post! I have also been looking for recipes. I made this one last night and it was awesome!!! And super easy. Here is the link:

Beef Stew in the Crock Pot | Weelicious ? - Fast, Easy & Fresh Homemade Home Made Baby Food Babyfood Recipes, Toddler Food and recipes for the entire family!

This is also just an awesome site for kiddo recipe ideas. Am going to try the sweet potato mini muffins later today!

January 13th, 2012, 06:48 AM
Countrymom4's Avatar Chrystal
I make beef stews, beef on a bun, post roasts with veg. That is what I make the most. So I could use some recipes also

Thank You tasha_mae

January 13th, 2012, 08:18 AM
This might be a stupid question, but some of the recipes I have use little to no liquids. Is it okay for food to sit on the bottom of the pot for 6-8 hrs without a liquid buffer?? Does that make sense?

forever loving Finley
January 13th, 2012, 08:32 AM
Pupcake74's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't have an exact recipe since I have been making it for so long but I love to make chicken tortilla soup. This can come in very handy for meals for a couple of days. It can be soup for lunch. Then you can strain it and put it in taco's, burrito's, a nacho topping, quasidilla's etc for dinner. Yummy

January 13th, 2012, 08:41 AM
Pupcake74's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If there is little or no liquid I would put the crock pot on high while for an hour or so while still home to heat it up, but then put it on low. Most meats will give off enough moisture so its not dry.

January 13th, 2012, 10:44 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Ditto to the meat giving off juice.

My favorite is pot roast. ~2 lbs meat, handful of potatoes cut in quarters, baby carrots (or regular ones, cut up), onion cut into quarters, some celery if I have it on hand, 1/2 cup of water and a splash of Worcestershire sauce.

I've done the whole chicken too-stuff a quartered onion in it, butter the outside and toss it in. But, I have found that the per pound price of the finished meat is not really any cheaper than boneless, skinless chicken breats, so I haven't bought one in a long time.

I also use it a lot for chicken, with various spices tossed in.
January 13th, 2012, 11:50 AM
AtomicMama's Avatar CopperBoom!
I make a cranberry chicken that I love

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (thawed, frozen, doesn't really matter)
1 pack dry onion soup mix
1 can cranberry sauce (I like it with the chunky cranberry sauce)
1/2 c. chicken broth
salt and pepper to taste

Put it all in the crock pot, cook on high for 6+ hours (I leave it in all day, so close to 10 hours, and it's great)

I also add about 1/2 - 1 cup of brown rice and put in a full can of chicken broth instead of just the cup. That way I don't worry about a side to go with the chicken. It's really yummy either way!

January 13th, 2012, 12:33 PM
Super Mommy
I would love some new crock pot recipes too. Our favs are:
a whole chicken -- I usually throw in carrots, celery, garlic, and onion, which leaves us a really nice broth
beef stew
black beans -- i use the "recipe" on the back of the bag for the most part
split pea soup

I just tried doing a beef stroganoff for the first time, but I wasn't a big fan of the recipe I used.

January 14th, 2012, 07:10 PM
RunningWithBoys's Avatar Amanda
I love my slow cooker! I use it at least once a week.

SLOW COOKER PORK CHOPS

4 whole thick cut bone in pork chops (need to be the thick cut bone in ones with a little fat)
1 envelope onion soup mix (1 oz)
1 1/2 cups of chicken broth
1 10.5 oz can of cream of chicken soup
1 envelope dry pork gravy mix

place pork chops in the slow cooker
mix all other ingredients in a bowl and pour on to chops.
cook on low 6-8 hours until they are VERY fork tender...if they still aren't fall apart cook 30 minutes more and then check again ( continue until they are how you want them)

Stuffed peppers

1 lb Hamburger Browned 1 jar spaghetti sauce 1 pkg. Mexican rice I think it's lipton Cook rice as directed Add all ingredients together. Stuff peppers. Spray crockpot with cooking spray. Cook on low for 4 hours. Easy and Yummy

Slow Cooker Chicken & Dumplings
*2 (10 oz) pkg. Refrigerated Biscuits
*3 Cans of Condensed Cream of Chicken soup
*4 Skinless, boneless Chicken Breasts
*1 Finely Diced Onion
*2 TBSP Butter

*Place Chicken, butter, soup, and onion in a slow cooker, and fill with enough water to cover. Cover & cook 5 to 6 hours on high (ok for frozen chicken too). About 1 hour before serving take chicken breasts out and cut into chunks & then return to cooker. Take biscuit dough and tear into pieces (roll in flour to keep them separated from each other). Place in slow cooker and cook until dough is no longer raw in the center.

TexMex Slow Cooker Chicken

1 pound chicken cut in 1 inch strips
2 tbsp taco seasoning
2 tbsp flour
1 green bell pepper cut in 1 inch strips
1 red bell pepper cut in 1 inch strips
1 cup frozen corn
1.5 cups salsa
Cheese
Uncle Ben's Spanish rice

Mix chicken, taco seasoning and flour in crockpot until chicken is coated. Stir in peppers, corn and salsa. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours. Serve over Uncle Ben's rice. Sprinkle cheese on top (about an 1/8 cup of cheese per serving). Entire crockpot makes 4 servings. 1 serving equals 330 calories.
Yummy and easy!! To bump up the calories for DH, he eats his serving and a half on tostada shells or over tortilla chips.

January 16th, 2012, 08:51 AM
J9+J+C=Complete's Avatar Charlotte & Jacob's Mommy
Here's a spicy one if you like buffalo chicken.

Three chicken breasts
A packet of ranch dressing mix
3/4 of a 17 oz bottle of buffalo wing sauce

Low for 8 hrs. Shred and put on buns. Serve with carrot and celery sticks with blue cheese.

The best chicken chili you will ever eat:
three chicken breasts cubed (cooked or not)
1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
1 14.5 oz can black beans
1 14.5 oz can kidney beans
11 oz can mexicorn
1 28 oz can baked beans (secret ingredient)
1 11 oz can tomato juice
1 packet taco seasoning

Slow cook on low for like six hours. I drain all bean liquid except baked beams. Delish!
January 16th, 2012, 09:34 AM
I have a stuffed green pepper recipe I found on Pinterest in the crock pot today. I'll let you know how it tasts after I get home and eat it. Hoping it's yummy! I made it last night, and put it in the crock pot in the fridge all night. It took a little bit of work last night (lots of chopping), but it wasn't too bad.

January 16th, 2012, 10:46 AM
Thanks girls! Trying my first one today! BBQ Pork Roast for pulled pork sandwiches tonight! It cooks for 10-12 hrs so my house smells DELICIOUS!!! :drool:

forever loving Finley
January 16th, 2012, 09:27 PM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
I LOVE the crock pot for pulled pork. I hope it was YUM for you, Kelli!!!

thanks for the recipes, ladies. I'm always out of ideas. This helps a LOT!

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
January 17th, 2012, 06:33 AM
Hope it turned out great, Kelli!!

My stuffed peppers were excellent! The best part...even Max at some! Not the pepper, but the filling, which was still full of veggies

Stuffed Green Peppers

4 Peppers
1 lb ground meat (I used italian sausage, but you can use beef, pork, turkey, anything!)
Whatever spices you like to flavor your meat
1/2 head cauliflower
Carrots (it called for 2 full carrots, but I just used a big handfull of baby carrots)
Medium Onion (I used half a large onion)
A few cloves of garlic
1 small can tomato paste (or 2 tomatoes, diced)
Shredded Mozzarella cheese (optional)

Cut tops off peppers and clean out inside. Set aside.
Use chopper, food processor, or just a knife to chop veggies and garlic into tiny pieces. Put into a bowl. Add the meat (uncooked) and tomato paste (or tomatoes) and spices. [I also added about half a cup or so of mozzarella cheese that I had left from making pizza last week. It was good, but you definitely don't need it, and without it, it's gluten free and dairy free!!] Mix together (I did this with my hands). Stuff mixture into peppers and put into crock pot. If you have any extra mixture (I did not) put it around the peppers. [I made this up the night before and stuck it all in the fridge in the crock pot overnight, so I didn't have to mess around in the morning.] The recipe said to add 1/2 cup of water, but I found that was a little much. I think I would go with 1/4-1/3 cup of water next time. Cook on low for 8-10 hours. Enjoy!

You could really add whatever veggies you wanted to the mixture, too. Whatever you like or have on hand. I also chopped up the tops to the peppers and put that in there. And like I said, Max loved the stuffing mixture, and it was a good way to sneak some veggies in

January 18th, 2012, 08:31 AM
Mom2#1Drakester's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ok today I am trying the chicken chili recipe posted. I had to get a big thing of tomato juice so I wonder if that would be good for a bloody mary?
January 18th, 2012, 04:54 PM
TanyaMM's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by amymgem View Post
Beef Stew in the Crock Pot | Weelicious ? - Fast, Easy & Fresh Homemade Home Made Baby Food Babyfood Recipes, Toddler Food and recipes for the entire family!

This is also just an awesome site for kiddo recipe ideas. Am going to try the sweet potato mini muffins later today!
I agree I've used this website a few times. The slow cooker lasgna recipe is really good too. I've add some cooked italian sausage in there too and it's turned out super good!

Thank you GraysMama for the awesome Siggy

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search