Torturing your animals?

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 13th, 2012, 12:39 PM
amymgem's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Does anybody else's LO do this? I apologize if a similar question has already been posted, but I really need advice here.

We have a 7 year old chihuahua, Lucita, who has never been, and still is not, fond of children. She has done way better with Wren than we had expected, but of course, her tolerance is getting lower and lower now that Wren runs all over, climbs everything, etc. Her one place of refuge was the couch and Wren has finally figured out how to climb it, so there's no place left for poor Lucita.

It's super frustrating, but a typical day in our house is Wren chasing after Lucita (who she really loves) and sometimes hitting her, pinching her, or pulling her tail. Or sometimes, she just wants to give her a snack, or show me that she can do "nice touch." Doesn't matter though. Lucita is terrified and usually snaps...never badly (she has never hurt her or even touched her really)...but I fear that it may be coming. The worst thing is that it just makes Wren laugh. She thinks it's HILARIOUS when Lucita growls or shows her teeth.

What do we do? My first instinct is to get mad at Lucita because I feel like no matter what she can not snap at Wren. Then I tend to Wren and explain that she cannot hit Lucita, that it hurts, that we show Lucita "nice touch," etc. But this really doesn't work. We go through this song and dance several times a day. And I feel so **** bad for Lucita. I imagine she lives her life in fear. HELP!

Side note: I got a book from the library for kids about how to treat animals, but I'm thinking it's too complex for Wren. My husband thinks it has clued Wren into pulling her tail more!

January 13th, 2012, 04:27 PM
WomanInTheMoon's Avatar Courtney
I don't know what you're supposed to do, but if Ryker is mean we use the mean nasty voice and make him leave the area/have a time out. He usually cries - that's how big a deal we make out of it. One of our dogs snapped once....Suffice it to say that consequences were severe. I do not believe that an animal ever has the right to snap. It is instinct, but if you don't make it a big deal for the dog not to do that again she will get worse. Maybe google what happens to a subordinate wolf who snaps/is aggressive to a superior. They are a lot meaner then you can ever be.

January 13th, 2012, 08:38 PM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
IDK but we've run into the same problem. G will run after our dog and hit him or just be really rough with him in general. The other day he started running to hit him when he got frustrated bc he wasn't getting his way with me. It makes me upset bc if the dog is ever rough with him he'd get beat. So it's not right that G is rough with the dog. I always tell G very sternly "No, no" and then take his hand and say "Easy with Luke" and show him how to pet him softly. Tonight I kept making him give the dog kisses after he was mean. I know it's just a stage, but I have been feeling really bad for our poor dog lately.

January 16th, 2012, 02:07 PM
Countrymom4's Avatar Chrystal
Rogan does not bother our yorkie or the outside dogs. But that being said harley is usually in the porch or outside(gated). Or he has lots of places to get away from Rogan.

January 16th, 2012, 02:33 PM
alethia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i wish i had some advice I do have to remind Kaylee all the time to be gentle - but Holly doesn't get upset at her ever, and Kaylee is getting better. Maybe you could find a book too on older animals and children and how to correct behavior. I would also maybe gate off a spot in the house for your Doggie... that way SHE has a safe place that she can rest and not worry about getting pinched or pulled...it may help her to relax. We do that for Holly too - either when Holly needs it, or the kid's need the space. GL!!
January 16th, 2012, 09:17 PM
Castaway
Whenever Nash see's my dog he makes a growly ahhhhhhhhhh sound and goes nuts, laughing and chasing her, pulling on her ears and trying to eat her. Yeah..... He's weird.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search