Playing Alone

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 15th, 2012, 06:57 AM
RunningWithBoys's Avatar Amanda
Hey Ladies!

I know there are so many different schools of thought on this, but I was curious what works for everyone else.

Do you let your LO play in a room by themselves?
(In that you are not in the room, even if you are within ear shot, and you can't actually see them.)

January 15th, 2012, 07:21 AM
amonstersmomma's Avatar Coetta Dawn
We let Caleb play alone in his room because we have it baby proofed very well. We just make sure the door is open. Usually the only time he ends up in there alone though is while Im doing dishes and he gets bored but i still peek in on him every 5-10 mins.

January 15th, 2012, 10:38 AM
mrsdaiwa24's Avatar Amy, soon-to-be-mama of 2
Betsy will play in her room for a few minutes by herself as well. It's baby-proofed and secure. It's also right upstairs next to our room and the bathroom, so I'll put her in there when I need to change clothes or do stuff in the bathroom.
January 15th, 2012, 11:06 AM
AtomicMama's Avatar CopperBoom!
Max has free roam of the apartment (which isn't very large). Everything dangerous is put up or baby proofed, and he's really loud. I make a point to always know where he is, and he always comes back to see where I am/what I'm doing every couple of minutes anyway. But if he wanders into another room for awhile (we only have 3 rooms, since the living room, dining room, and kitchen are all pretty open to each other), I'll let him do his own thing. I do keep the bathroom doors closed most of the time when we are home, mostly because he likes to put things in the toilet

January 15th, 2012, 11:10 AM
white.house's Avatar Kelli
We have an apartment as well, except I close the bedrooms and bathroom doors. So he has the hallway, dining room, and living room (kitchen is gated in). I can see where he is all the time. I prefer it this way only because 1. We have nothing baby proofed 2. My son is a wicked fast climber 3. I have less rooms being torn apart by my mini-tornado on a daily basis He does play on his own often while I am doing dishes or laundry and in the back of the kitchen, but usually I can hear him. If it goes quiet, I know I'm in trouble

eli grey [9.15.10]
jude lawrence [11.9.12]

forever loving our best girl, finley [born still 10.30.11]
January 15th, 2012, 01:00 PM
LifenTheFastLane's Avatar Mommy 2 Rhys~Rhylee~Jessa
Jessa has free reign to living room hall and her and her brothers roo
(all there small toys are in there closet) bathrooms are off limits with baby proof handles as well as the front door , my room and our kitchen is baby gated off

Sorry for all the typos typing fast from my phone
January 15th, 2012, 03:05 PM
VeronicaBride's Avatar Jen
Hudson has free reign of whatever floor he is on. We just gate off the stairs and keep bathrooms closed.

January 15th, 2012, 04:44 PM
kemper2.0's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Gideon plays in his room a good bit by himself. About an hour of combined time a day. Other times he will play in the living room or his play room. He comes and goes to all except his own room whenever. When he plays in his own room I shut him in there.

Kat, mommy to Gideon (9-8-10) and Arie (7-6-12), and Evangeline River (3-27-14)

January 15th, 2012, 05:00 PM
alethia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Kaylee has free roam of the house except the "man cave/ guest bedroom" because there are so many computers etc in there. but the rest of the house is open to her and DS to go and play, i dont' stalk them. I like to play with them, but they also really like playing alone and also together alone. When they're quite for a bit - i check on them and make sure they're not causing too much damage/trouble I don't let Kaylee play alone or with just DS in the backyard with out me or DH. I do let DS go out in the backyard alone when i'm putting Kaylee down for nap - but i do it in my room and leave the curtains open so i can still hear and mostly see DS. When DS was Kaylee's age however i didn't really have him play where i couldn't see him. Probably because he was my first and i was more protective - but i think it's also resulted in DS being more cautious, anxious about being alone.
January 15th, 2012, 05:12 PM
J9+J+C=Complete's Avatar Charlotte & Jacob's Mommy
I think I'm overprotective we are always in the same room and if we are in adjoining rooms, I can see her. Charlotte is in a boundary testing, ultra brave stage though for sure so we have to keep a closer eye on her. She is into everything!
January 15th, 2012, 06:31 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Our living room is the play room and it is has open archway thing and the open doorway to the kitchen. There is a gate that prevents Teresa (and Lukas) from getting out of there so she can't get to the bathroom or stairs. I am usually in the room with them or in the kitchen.

When I need to put laundry away upstairs I often fold it standing in the hallway which overlooks the living room. When we are upstairs getting ready in the morning or for bed at night, if we aren't in the room with her (like if I am home alone with them and am helping the boys brush teeth or something), we close the door since we never put the gate at the top of the stairs back up and she is getting awfully brave about standing at the edge!

The only playing any of the kids do away from where I am at is when Nathan plays with the little Legos in his walk in closet. That is the only toy we have in their room.
January 15th, 2012, 07:04 PM
irish luck's Avatar *Callie*
Gavin pretty much can wonder the main floor other than the bathroom, my room and the mud room (we are a bungalo sp?).... now that we have dont have a sunken living room I LOVE letting him go play. If Logan is not home I leave the bedroom doors shut .... Logan is always making sure that Gavin is safe I think that he thinks Gavin is his own child

Logan will play alone in his room now (just started this last week) so that Gavin doesnt mess up the toys he has set up

I would love to let Logan go out to play but I cant see the backyard unless I stand in the bedrooms and then I would have to go all around the house to get outside to get him if there was a problem... It would be a dream of mine to let him go play and beable to see him while making/clean dinner... I can dream! (in a fenced in yard!)

THANK YOU Jaidynsmum
FOR THE GREAT SIGGY!

Gavin Betsy
January 15th, 2012, 07:42 PM
Countrymom4's Avatar Chrystal
Rogan has the run of the upstairs, we close the bathrooms and DS's room(so Rog does not go recking his things. And there is a gate across the porch, bath and stairs.

January 15th, 2012, 07:51 PM
amymgem's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wren can run freely in our kitchen, dining room, and family room (all downstairs-open floor plan-and we have a gate to prevent her from going upstairs). If we are upstairs, she can run in our room and her room and the hallway. Someone is always on the same floor with her and if not the same room, we always check on her....especially if it is quiet.

Funny story-the other day I was trying to get dinner ready and I was just pretty much letting her do whatever she wanted so I could hurry up. Well, after a few minutes of quiet, I hear her saying "broke, broke." Not a good thing to hear. I found her with a cooking book of mine that she had torn a page from .

January 16th, 2012, 05:03 AM
~Constance~
We have 800 square feet and I move about it frequently so I can hear pretty much everything that's going on. I have older kids so there isn't too much that's baby proofed anymore. I have to work harder with Fairfax teaching her the rules about her older siblings toys and all the dangerous stuff around. Yesterday we all played legos together. I had to tell her "no mouth" about 10X but I trusted her enough to walk out of the room several times. I've also been teaching the older kids to watch out for her. With their issues, this actually doesn't come naturally to them.
So yes, Fairfax plays without my supervision 75-90% of the time.
January 16th, 2012, 05:46 AM
RunningWithBoys's Avatar Amanda
Whew...I am glad to read all these!

We have a 2 story, so Luke and Evan are always on the same floor, by Evan's choice. He doesn't want to be downstairs or upstairs without us. So I gate off the stairs and close the doors to all the bathrooms (all it took was one horror story from the internet about a boy drowning in the toilet to get me to do that) and he is free. There are several "little" pieces of Evan's toys that make me nervous at times, but he is not a mouth kid. Evan loved to put things in his mouth, but Luke never does.

This question started because I had a nightmare about me being in my room folding clothes and Evan and Luke playing. I dreamed he choked and I didn't hear him. So I got a little freaked out and for 3 days followed him around like a hawk watching his every move and yelling at Evan whenever anything was in the floor that could fit through a toilet paper tube. After 3 days of observing him I realized the kid never puts anything in his mouth and Evan is a really good brother who tries very hard to keep him safe. I think I'll back off a little bit.

January 16th, 2012, 06:49 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish luck View Post

I would love to let Logan go out to play but I cant see the backyard unless I stand in the bedrooms and then I would have to go all around the house to get outside to get him if there was a problem... It would be a dream of mine to let him go play and beable to see him while making/clean dinner... I can dream! (in a fenced in yard!)
I LOVE being able to do this! Our yard is fenced and I'll let them out to play while I get dinner ready. Last year since T wasn't walking and her feet couldn't touch the ground in the walker I would put her in that on the patio so she could watch them play or I'd put her in her swing and Nathan would give her a push every so often or she'd watch thru the window while sitting in her high chair.
January 16th, 2012, 09:28 AM
~SavedbyGrace~'s Avatar ~Nichole~
Grace pretty much follows her brother everywhere, but she does play a fair bit in her room alone. But I'm just down the hall in the kitchen and can hear her. BUT, I have recently had it weighing on my mind quite a bit that I have got to get her dresser mounted to the wall. I'm going to go buy some baby proofing items right now actually. Her dresser is really heavy and I can barely budge it, but that doesn't mean something couldn't happen.
January 17th, 2012, 11:06 AM
K_photo_mom's Avatar Krista
Laken has free reign, too, but we also keep bathroom doors closed. If someone leaves one open she gets in there and shreds the toilet paper and splashes in the toilet.
January 17th, 2012, 11:20 AM
-Trish-'s Avatar Mom to 3boys & a Princess
Elaina has free reign but tends to follow me everywhere most the time. She will wander off and play alone sometimes though if I'm too boring

Thank you so much Alethia for my GORGEOUS siggy!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search