Do you answer your door?

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 15th, 2012, 09:56 AM
Platinum Supermommy
If the doorbell rings or something? I don't, especially if DH isnt home... i'm extremely paranoid about intruders and i dont want to listen to anyone trying to sell me things

January 15th, 2012, 11:15 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to MrsTiffy Send a message via Yahoo to MrsTiffy
Living on base now I do answer my door. When we lived off base, and my dh was deployed things were different. I would look out the window to see if it was someone I knew, and if not then I didn't answer my door.

Vivian (6)
Caden (5)
Alex (2)
Maura born 9/11/12

January 15th, 2012, 11:39 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Not usually. The dogs usually bark a ton, so I will sometimes open it with my mom's dog (she looks mean when she barks ) right next to me. But usually, it's just a solicitor or something, so I don't even bother.

January 15th, 2012, 02:32 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I Like our house because it has a 6 foot fence and no one can come up to the front door. They have to ring the doorbell and I go out to the gate and if it's someone trying to sell something, I don't open the gate and we just speak through the gate, I say I'm not interested etc. A while ago we got a new gate and for a bit the gate didn't have a lock...I got so spooked having people walk straight in our yard and come up to our door (I leave the door open and a security screen shut)... I just didn't like it at all!

Thanks to Meganpixel for my beautiful siggie!
January 15th, 2012, 05:11 PM
palmetto_moon's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It depends. Sometimes I will but often I wont. It depends on my mood, and many other variables...LOL.

Thank you Kiliki for my awesome siggy!

visit our family blog at www.stalkedbythestork.com
January 16th, 2012, 09:39 AM
Shea131's Avatar Peyton Rylee's Mommy!!
So funny you ask this because a Guy came to my door Just today and I did not answer. He stood out there for about 10 min and knocked every minute. I called DF and asked if he was expecting anyone and he said no so I didn't answer. He left then came back, knocked once more and left again. I think it may have been a guy working for the city cuz his truck had a yellow light on top and a snow plow. I just don't trust ppl especially now that I have peyton. And we never have people come to our day usually because we live out in the country, about 8 miles from town.

Thank you Quantum_Leap for my fabulous signature!!!
January 16th, 2012, 11:17 AM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
When we're in the living room it's hard not to since the door opens into that room. If someone knocks the girls get all excited so it's hard to pretend not to be home I just leave the storm door shut and say no thanks. It's nice being downstairs now though, I don't have to worry about it! No doorbell and I can't hear anyone knock. If I'm expecting someone we'll hang out upstairs around when I know they're coming.
January 17th, 2012, 11:59 AM
Kittynoah's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We put a no soliciting sign on our front door so we don't et many people knocking. I usually speak through the window though and here is why -

When I first moved into my house I was single and lived alone. i was home sick in bed one day and there was knocking at my front door. They knocked and knocked and then rang the doorbell several times. I didn't want to talk to a solicitor (I didn't have the sign yet) so I just stayed in bed. A few minutes later I got out of bed and was walking down the hall. An intruder was walking up my basement stairs. I screamed and he ran back out the sliding door in the basement and around the front.

The detectives said they case houses by knocking. If you answer, they know you are home and don't invade. If I had answered, they would have probably had a story about something to sell.

The police also told me all solicitors should have a license from the city. If they pester you, just ask for the license and tell them you will only talk to them if that have it.

January 21st, 2012, 10:52 AM
renee4152's Avatar Proud Mommy of 2!
I have a problem with people coming to try and sell me stuff or tell me about their religion, so I came up with my own solution. I have a sign I put on my front door that says "Don't knock. Baby is sleeping and barking dog wakes baby". (I have a big dog and he barks really loud and used to wake Levi when someone would knock) I used to just put it up when Levi was asleep, but I would forget to take it down afterwards, so I leave it up most of the time, unless I know we're expecting someone. All of our friends know to call or text before coming over.
February 3rd, 2012, 05:23 PM
becker206's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
No, I don't. People are to call or text me before they come over so I know who to expect. If I am not expecting anyone I usually don't answer it.. :/

February 4th, 2012, 09:30 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I do because like Mylene, our front door is right by our family room. People can see from our porch that we are there. If it looks like a sketchy person, I usually let our dogs out and they jump and bark. It makes people leave pretty quickly.
February 8th, 2012, 07:03 AM
Racine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yikes Laura, that's really scary!

I always answer the door....but then I also let a complete stranger in my car and then gave him twenty bucks. Haha!

We get a lot of solicitors and Jehovah's witnesses, and I kind of love talking to them all. Usually people are really nice, especially if they see you're giving them the time of day. My dad was a salesman, so I have a lot of respect for most salespeople...they have it pretty rough with the way most people treat them.

Thank you, Meganpixel, for my awesome siggy!

February 8th, 2012, 07:37 AM
JaxonsMom2010's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I do most of the time. Our front door also opens into the living room, so it is hard to pretend we are not home. At night/dusk, I will not open the door unless I know the person. I live in town and the police department is not too far from my house, so it doesn't worry me too much.

I also have a BIG dog (half lab/half german sheppard, so I always know when people are in my yard before I even hear the knock. I can pretty much gage how/who the person is by the way my dog acts.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search