The Bottle

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 16th, 2012, 11:32 AM
wild&free's Avatar My name is Kelli :)
I need a little bit of advice on weaning Eli from the bottle.

Does anyone else have a LO who still uses a bottle? When are you planning on taking it away? Will you do it cold turkey or gradually?

Eli has used a bottle since he was 9 months old, after he was diagnosed as failure to thrive because of his low body weight (my milk supply ran out and I hadn't realized it until I switched him to formula). At around 12 months when we stopped doing formula and started whole milk, Eli still used a bottle to drink it; one in the morning, one that he would drink on throughout the day, and one before bedtime.

He had already been drinking from sippy cups, spouts, straws etc. previous to the switch however when I tried to put milk in his cups he would NOT drink it. He would let it dribble out of his mouth. He still does this today, when he takes a sip and realizes I put milk in his cup (and not water or juice) he giggles at me and won't drink it.

I guess since the whole "failure to thrive" diagnosis I have been pretty aware of his weight gain/eating/drinking. This is why I haven't urged him to get off of the bottle, him getting the calories and fats from the milk was more important to me and that was the only way he would/will drink it.

Now he has reached an average weight and is eating better, so I am getting ready to take away the bottle and getting over my fear of him being low-weight due to poor nutrition or intake. However, I think I have passed the "window" for taking the bottle away. It has become a comfort object of sorts, which I am fine with right now, but I don't want him to still be on a bottle at 2 yrs old. Ideally, I'd like to take it away at 1.5 yrs. I just don't know the right way to go about it.

Do I make it a gradual change or a cold turkey transition? How do you take away that "comfort" item without making it traumatic? What if he still refuses to drink milk from his sippy cup (logically I know he can get dairy from other foods, but I guess I get hung up on the thought of him needing milk)?

Sorry this is so long. I have been thinking on this for a while now and I feel like its my fault that we are in this predicament now... I just don't know how to fix it?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

.fearfully and wonderfully made.
eli grey // jude lawrence
forever loving Finley
January 16th, 2012, 01:13 PM
Countrymom4's Avatar Chrystal
Rogan still has a bottle too, He will use sippy cups for water but not milk! I use the born free bottles and they have a soft sippy cup top that you can use rather than a nipple. Rogan will use that.

Thank You tasha_mae

January 16th, 2012, 01:23 PM
alethia's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
When i did it with lil Brandon i had to do it cold turkey... he just wouldn't let it go (even at 2 ) .. the gradual thing didn't work. With Kaylee i was able to do the gradual thing .. just made it nap time and bed time, then replaced the nap time one and then replaced the bed time one. but once you commit one night to not having it you can't go back (while i couldn't) or it's a disaster.

GL!
January 16th, 2012, 01:59 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Will he drink the milk from an open cup? I would eliminate the bottle that he snacks on throughout the day first, then ork on the morning one and then the evening one. The evening bottle/nursing was always the last one for us to get rid of. Is there a special treat Eli likes-maybe try showing him that you can drink milk from the cup and then have a bite of a treat, then offer him the same.

Teresa doesn't take a bottle, but is still nursing, usually 3-4x a day. If she had been willing to take the pumped BM I had stored, she would probably still be taking a bottle before bed and probably in the morning too. She's on the small side and is not a very good eater so I really think she would still need it.
January 16th, 2012, 02:00 PM
AtomicMama's Avatar CopperBoom!
Max still has a bottle, and I'll have to stalk this thread, because I have no idea how I'll get it away from him I've been thinking about it a lot lately, but I'm nervous to try anything. He doesn't eat, so I worry that if I take away his bottle he won't get any nutrients or calories.

January 16th, 2012, 02:03 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I would also cut back the amount of water or juice you give him and push the milk instead.
January 16th, 2012, 03:02 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I suggest replacing a bottle or a water sippy for snacks with a milk sippy to get him used to it, keep the comfort thing in the morning and evening, then switch the morning bottle with a sippy for breakfast and then his last bottle you should be able to drop all together by cutting it out completely.

Milans routine is milk for breakfast, snacks and after dinner.. he gets around 2 cups a day plus other dairy products.

Good luck.. I am sure he will do well.

Thanks Claire1979 for my awesome siggy.
January 16th, 2012, 03:24 PM
-Trish-'s Avatar Mom to 3boys & a Princess
Elaina also doesn't take a bottle but uses my boobs in the same way as a bottle...as in she wants it for comfort. She is OBSESSED with my boobs so I have a feeling I'm going to have to "trick" her into not wanting it anymore. For me I plan on coating my nipples with lemon juice and telling her mommy's milk has gone sour. I figure after getting that taste a few times she'll decide she wants no part of them anymore....maybe you can do something similar with the bottle nipple? I'm not really sure. I'd like Elaina weaned by 18 months but we'll see. Like you I feel bad denying her the one things she loves the most...and unlike Eli, she doesn't eat solids very well so I feel she really needs the nutrition from my breast milk. Elaina is the same way with milk in a cup...she'll drink pretty much anything from her sippy but when she finds milk in it, forget it!

Thank you so much Alethia for my GORGEOUS siggy!!

January 16th, 2012, 04:46 PM
irish luck's Avatar *Callie*
I agree that some babes can do it cold turkey and some can handle the gradual way.... I like the idea of not giving it to him during the day, just morning and night.. if he does ok take one more bottle away ... if not take it away totally and cold turkey it

i agree, failure to thrive makes it seem a little harder ... I worry about Gavins intake but the pedi wants him to be eatting more food than than the milk so she said not to worry ... if he is getting aleast 12oz he should be good (at least i think that is what she said)

good luck, keep us posted on how it goes

THANK YOU Jaidynsmum
FOR THE GREAT SIGGY!

Gavin Betsy
January 16th, 2012, 05:34 PM
Pupcake74's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Like usual it seems the girls have already given you good advice. I totally agree with Alethia that you really need to commit once you decided how you want to go about it. It can be a real slippery slope not sticking to somethin.

Amy I thouhgt Max was a good eater....when did that change?

Both my two older ones stopped taking the bottle about 18 months on their own.

oh one more thing you could try is making the hole in the nipple a little bigger. Making the flow less soothing for fallen asleep.

January 16th, 2012, 05:37 PM
irish luck's Avatar *Callie*
^^^good idea with the hole!

THANK YOU Jaidynsmum
FOR THE GREAT SIGGY!

Gavin Betsy
January 16th, 2012, 05:58 PM
Thank you girls! I'll definitely keep you updated!!

forever loving Finley
January 16th, 2012, 08:19 PM
Castaway
Nash is still on a bottle, I've tried a few times to switch him, his reaction to anything but the bottle is basically shrieking and chucking whatever else I give him.

January 17th, 2012, 03:04 AM
mrsdaiwa24's Avatar Amy, soon-to-be-mama of 2
Betsy just gets a bottle at bedtime and truthfully, we're in no rush to drop it as she doesn't need it to fall asleep -- it's just part of her bedtime routine. I assume we'll try dropping it by the summer. No other advice for you, but good luck!
January 17th, 2012, 03:26 AM
J9+J+C=Complete's Avatar Charlotte & Jacob's Mommy
Would he drink from an open cup? That's how weber Charlie to drink milk from a cup in her high chair. Otherwise she's too busy making milk patterns on her tray I only fill her cup an inch, let her drink that and then refill. That way spills are nbd.
January 17th, 2012, 04:15 AM
KimberlyAnn327's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Rayne will only drink milk from a bottle. She wants nothing to do with it if it's in a sippy cup. Yet she will drink other stuff from a sippy cup. I'm not quite sure what to do but I definitely want to make the switch and put the bottles away.

January 17th, 2012, 08:12 AM
~SavedbyGrace~'s Avatar ~Nichole~
Kris and your open cup!

I'm in the same boat. I have tried already go cold turkey..and I have tried the gradual process. Which I'd like to think I'm in. She still has probably 2-3 bottles a day. Doesn't seem gradual to most I bet! I think I just need to pack the bottles away, then I won't be tempted to cave in and give her one when she is whining for it!
January 17th, 2012, 08:16 AM
emmiejack0810's Avatar MELANIE
Jackson gets one bottle at night before bed and if he wakes up in the middle of the night (and doesn't get comforted other ways) then he may get another...

He drinks solely from sippy's throughout the day - water, milk and juice...

I also put ice in his milk sippy to keep it super cold.

Thank you BAM for this INCREDIBLE Siggy

January 17th, 2012, 12:02 PM
Lol! J9 is on Kris' open cup train I think I'll do the gradual thing and take away the afternoon bottle first like someone suggested (sorry on my phone and can't remember who said that!). Then morning, then night. I just hope it isn't traumatic for him, since it's like taking away a "lovey"

forever loving Finley
January 17th, 2012, 12:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We recently have weaned to only a straw sippy- something I never thought she would do! This is what worked for us:
I didn't attempt to stop a bottle til about 6 weeks ago...
She has used a straw sippy since about 11months. But did the same thing as Eli when we tried milk in it...only had h20 in it.
We had another issue though- Molly was still on a slow flow nipple bc playtex didn't have a latex med. flow so I never transitioned. She was drowning with a regular sippy.
I had another sippy that essentially had a nipple like bottle (tthin rectangular). We started that for morning bottle and any afternoon milk and bottle at night. Then we went to only that sippy- once I felt she adjusted ok enough to that. Then I started her afternoon milk in a straw sippy. She never really drank it. I cut the nipple on the bottle like sippy open a few times, Then I cold turkeyed off the sippy. But I held her and put on her favorite tv show. She didn't finish it all- but had some- the first day or 2. Then I guess she wanted it bad enough and downed it after a few days. Now we are straw sippy 100%. Sometimes she chugs it. Sometimes it an hour ordeal. But she is getting better. We are only on day 4 of 100% sippy but no regrets!
But I will say- I 100% disagree with my pediatrician who wanted her using a straw sippy at 1 yr cold turkey- I totally feel when they are ready, they will transition. All you can do is keep trying.

Saw a beautiful little heartbeat 1/28/10
Heard a Beautiful little heartbeat 3/3/2010
Saw a Beautiful Little GIRL 4/5/2010!!!!
Held my beautiful Little GIRL 9/24/2010

Last edited by LucyAnna; January 17th, 2012 at 12:26 PM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search