Fevers?

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 29th, 2012, 11:05 AM
mylene169's Avatar Kaija and Kolbie's Mommy
Send a message via AIM to mylene169 Send a message via Yahoo to mylene169
So Kolbie is on day 3 with at 100+ fever and I don't know what to do from here...

Friday as we were leaving her art class I noticed she was warm. I got a new thermometer on the way home because everything we had took too long. Her temp was 99 and she was acting normal so I didn't think much of it. Besides, we were supposed to meet another JM mommy and her 4 year old at Monkey Joe's to play (can't miss that!! ) So we went and had fun but she and I could both tell that Kolbie was heading downhill fast. When we got home 4 hours later her temp was 101 and 2 hours after that DH called me at work to tell me it was 103.5 and she was lethargic. He gave her some ice water and half of a Tylenol meltaway - apparently all we have is for 2-6 year olds, luckily she weighs 30 lb. so it's not too bad. By the time I got home she'd been asleep for a while and it was down to 101 again and we gave her a whole meltaway. By midnight she'd been sleeping so fitfully I just brought her to my bed and we toughed it out. She slept with a cup of ice water. Saturday we got up and she nursed and promptly threw it all back up all over my bed. And her temp was 102 again so I called the doctor and got her in. He said it could be an ear infection or something else. Her ears were a little red and obviously there's something going on with her. Kaija has been battling bronchitis all week and DH had a sinus infection, so there's some bug in our house for sure. He gave her some antibiotics and we came home. She threw up one more time around lunch time after trying to eat, so we just gave up on food. She didn't eat much dinner last night and her temp hovered around 99 all day again. This morning it was back up to 102 and has stayed between 101 and 102 all day. She fell asleep on me around 9:30 and slept for a little over an hour. Then she threw up after nursing again. I'm chalking those instances up to swallowing drainage while nursing, but for now I'm going to try not to nurse her so she doesn't throw up anymore.

But how long is too long with a 101-103 fever? She's acting sort of normal and not overly lethargic. In fact today she's fighting a nap. But I've never had a kid with a fever this long... I'm a little lost.
January 29th, 2012, 12:03 PM
Platinum Supermommy
That's a tough one. Vi has never had a fever like that for that long, and Lily only did once. With Lily, it turned out she had mycoplasma pneumonia, which they only diagnosed after a chest x-ray. First they did a flu swab, strep test, blood tests, etc. She had the fever on/off for close to 2 weeks before her diagnosis. No vomiting at all though. Just fever and cough.

I'd probably see how Kolbie is doing tomorrow and go from there. If she's not lethargic anymore, then I wouldn't be as concerned. And if the fever goes down when given meds then that is a good sign. Lily's pneumonia one wouldn't go down with meds, etc.

January 29th, 2012, 02:00 PM
Kittynoah's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
No clue! My kids have never had a fever that long. Jed had one for two days but he had an ear infection and once we started antibiotics it went away. I hope she feels better soon.

January 29th, 2012, 05:56 PM
Well, I gave her some tylenol shortly after I posted and it went down but 5 hours later it's up again. She's not too lethargic but she's still not back to normal...this sucks
January 30th, 2012, 10:01 PM
Bosley's Avatar Hillary
It must be something in the air - literally. Jamie had a fever of 103.5 on Saturday and Sunday (his first time ever running higher than 100) and then around 101 for the next 2 days. Kinda scary when they get lethargic and sad that they don't understand why they feel so cruddy. With Jamie it was also a cold which possibly turned into a slight ear infection. Antibiotics cleared it up but it took a while. He also completely gave up food for 4 days. I think that concerned me as much as the fever. How long has Kolbie been on the antibiotics now? I'm sure the doctor listened to her breathing. Did he check her oxygen level? As soon as my doc took Jamie's temp he stuck an oxygen monitor right on his foot to make sure he was getting enough. Said if it had been any lower they would have sent us for more medical attention. Hope sweet Kolbie feels better very soon!!!

January 30th, 2012, 10:21 PM
Jamie sounds like Kolbie! She's been on the antibiotics since Saturday. When I got home tonight her temp was STILL 100-101... The doctor didn't get a good listen to her chest because she was screaming and yelling that she wanted her "Boot on! Coat on! GO HOME!" So yeah I think I'm taking her back tomorrow. Her behavior isn't too off but she'd rather lay around than do anything else. She hasn't eaten much either.
January 31st, 2012, 03:23 PM
amazing_love's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Camden has had a high fever on a couple occasions. The first time it got as high as 105 and i was worrying but the doc/nurses weren't! They kept calming me down and telling me it was fine as long as tylenol brought it down. It didn't bring it down much lower than 103 though. He had a high fever of 102-105 for 3-4 days i think it was.. they kept saying it must have been from the MMR vaccine but later the doc told me it sounded like Roseola. Another time it got past 103 and again i was told to just give him meds to keep it down. After what we've been through i think its funny when my friends worry about a 101 fever. I think docs definitely go based on other symptoms (like lethargy more than fever) but Cam slept all day on me when his temp was that high and the doc told me that is how kids' bodies deal with fevers.

Hope she's completely better soon! It sounds like she's a little better?

January 31st, 2012, 08:46 PM
I don't usually worry too much about fevers, I've just never had a kid with a fever this long. We went back to the Dr. today because when she woke up her nose was COMPLETELY crusted over with snot and her eyes were all red/bloodshot. The Dr. said it looks like she actually started out with a virus that cause the initial congestion. That blocked her ears and some bacteria got trapped causing an ear infection. Her ears looked better than they did on Saturday so the meds are working and her behavior is better because she's not in pain from that any more. Her eyes are red because of the virus that has taken over her poor little head. If she's not pretty much back to normal in a week I'll take her back in again but I think she'll probably be fine by then. She's actually keeping herself hydrated pretty well because all she wants is cups of ice water to cool off.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search