Which battles do you pick?

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By kimmiejo
  • 1 Post By who_it_is

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 6th, 2012, 10:32 AM
who_it_is's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
And which battles do you skip?

I was talking to another Mommy about choosing (or not choosing) certain battles with the kids. What are some things around your house that are non-negotiable and what are the battles that are just not worth fighting?

To the Amazing Kelly: Thank you once again!! Amazing only begins to cover it.
February 6th, 2012, 11:10 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I think I let Holly stand on chairs more than most moms do. I let her stand on a chair at the counter and snack sometimes. If she's goofing around and falls (which she mostly certainly has), it's kind of not that big a deal. Hmmmm...maybe this is more of a mommy confession than a battle I pick? I think we do more battling picking with ds than with Holly right now. I don't tell her to do something or not do something unless I absolutely mean it.

Hair might be a battle I choose to skip. If I'm trying to do her hair up and she's fussing I just leave it. Sometimes she's cool with it, sometimes she's not. I let decide how things will be in that department.

February 6th, 2012, 11:11 AM
kimmiejo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
battles not worth fighting......
eating, or lack there of
clothes (providing it is seasonally appropriate for the most part )
I don't really mind jumping on furniture when done in good honest fun (beds, couches, etc )

not allowed.....
being disrespectful
hitting, biting, kicking, pushing, putting hands on others
running off in a store/public place...must be in cart, stroller or holding a hand or holding onto the stroller/cart or being held

I am sure there are others in both sections that I am missing or forgetting
ChoMomma and CameronsMommy like this.
February 6th, 2012, 11:14 AM
Mega Super Mommy
There, what Kim said. I should have just waited for you to answer first.

February 6th, 2012, 12:00 PM
ChoMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
A lot of what Kim said, if not all of it lol. I think the battle picking will start once the girls are a bit older, but right now there's not many.

February 6th, 2012, 01:07 PM
who_it_is's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We tend to be pretty laid back on some things and more protective on others. Among the battles not worth fighting are: eating (or lack of), clean rooms, clothes (so long as they are weather appropriate and for the older kids not in violation of any school rules), and I am sure there are others. As the kids get older things change, and there are some things that are enforced for the younger kids but not necessarily for DD - homework is the best example of this. At almost 14, DD knows the importance of getting her homework done and also is the one to suffer consequences if it is not done, so I don't argue it with her anymore. DS on the other hand is still in 4th grade, homework and getting it done/turning it in is not a negotiable.

Things that we do enforce would be: hitting/kicking, etc., using their manners (as age appropriate), respecting their parents and siblings and their spaces. I'm also on the you must stay close, sit in a cart/hold a hand camp when it comes to being out and about in the store.
ChoMomma likes this.

To the Amazing Kelly: Thank you once again!! Amazing only begins to cover it.
February 7th, 2012, 07:58 AM
Oreobaby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Oreobaby
One battle that I tend to pick is with Rayanne's hair. Since her bangs are long, they are constantly in her eyes. I am considering cutting her bangs (she hasn't had a hair cut yet, so this is slightly tramatic for me) but since she is at Daycare, and constantly on the go, I know my hair in my eyes would drive me NUTS!

Other than that, everything else is relatively the same.

February 7th, 2012, 12:02 PM
LOUSEE's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Mine are mostly the same. Dont have to worry about the hair with Jax (thankfully). Most of my battles lately have been with DH. I think he is sad that Jax is getting big and no longer a baby!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search