What are your little ones allowed to do by themselves

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By cfm

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 8th, 2012, 08:39 AM
MrsCalhoun's Avatar Ryan Lover
Use a fork?
Color with crayons?
Pick out their clothing?
Dress themselves?
Brush their teeth?
Use the stairs?
"help" clean?

February 8th, 2012, 08:48 AM
who_it_is's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Use a fork? yes. We've been letting her use a fork for a long time
Color with crayons? yes
Pick out their clothing? this is a must, if we get the wrong shirt she is grumpy about it
Dress themselves? if she was coordinated enough to do it she would be allowed. She is getting to be quite and expert un-dresser though.
Brush their teeth? yes. She does it first then I help her to make sure it's done well.
Use the stairs? Not really. We don't have stairs at our house so she doesn't get much practice on this one. So when we are around stairs, we still watch her pretty closely.
"help" clean? yes. She loves to help.

To the Amazing Kelly: Thank you once again!! Amazing only begins to cover it.
February 8th, 2012, 08:59 AM
kimmiejo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Use a fork?yes
Color with crayons?yes
Pick out their clothing?he could if he wanted but he doesn't care so I do it LOL
Dress themselves?umm sure if he could but he can't...he can undress pretty well though
Brush their teeth?yes, first he does it then I do it to make sure it is all good
Use the stairs?we only have 2 stairs on our main level, they go into the playroom and he goes up and down them just fine...for lots of steps he can go up alone but I supervise the down
"help" clean?yes, the more the merrier
February 8th, 2012, 09:16 AM
BelloFiglioLA's Avatar LAH * CLH
Use a fork? Yes
Color with crayons? Yes
Pick out their clothing? He picks out his jammies because they are in the bottom drawer. He also doesn't care to pick out his clothes.
Dress themselves? No, he can't. He can put his arms in but that's about it. He tries to put on shoes and socks but doesn't do so well.
Brush their teeth? He tries by himself but mainly just sucks on the brush. So I have to go in and do it afterwards.
Use the stairs? No stairs are always gated. If I am with him, I let him do it and he does pretty well but it still worries me.
"help" clean? Yep, he helps put dishes away, throws trash away, picks up toys and "sweeps" haha

February 8th, 2012, 09:59 AM
LOUSEE's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Use a fork? Yep
Color with crayons? Yes, and washable markers (seriously love washable markers)
Pick out their clothing? one the weekends when we are home by ourselves! ahah
Dress themselves? Like Kim, he cant put them on yet, but he sure can take them off well
Brush their teeth? Yes, and then I finish
Use the stairs? Nope (luckily we dont have stairs
"help" clean? As much as he wants, he helped unload the dishwasher this morning!
February 8th, 2012, 10:37 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My kid HATES help. Want to make her scream? Just say "do you need help?" "NOOOOOOOOO!"

Use a fork? Fork, spoon, cup, I'm not allowed near that stuff to help her.
Color with crayons? She prefers markers, but yes.
Pick out their clothing? I haven't thought to offer, she loves all her clothes equally.
Dress themselves? Not there yet
Brush their teeth? Yes, I finish up
Use the stairs? Yes
"help" clean? Yes! She sorts laundry! I just tell her what pile to put it in and away she goes. I knew I had kids for a reason!
MrsCalhoun likes this.

February 8th, 2012, 11:05 AM
MomtoCarly&Sofia's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Use a fork? Yes
Color with crayons? Yes
Pick out their clothing? She can't reach them hanging in her closet, but she does bring me a diaper when it's time to be changed.
Dress themselves? Nope, she's lazy with this. She'd rather lay there and let me do it.
Brush their teeth? Yes, I finish it.
Use the stairs? Yes
"help" clean? Yes, she loves to clean. (and is just as good at making the mess)

February 8th, 2012, 12:18 PM
Oreobaby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Oreobaby
Use a fork? Yes...she has done the majority of her eating herself...she will refuse to eat and scream if I try to feed her. Sometimes this makes quite a mess, but I have to love her for trying to be so independant. lol.
Color with crayons? Yes...within reason. Generally I am not far away to ensure only paper is being colored on.
Pick out their clothing? She has no intrest to...if I try to let her decide, she just pulls everything out of the drawer. lol, plus, she would rather be wearing no clothes at all
Dress themselves? Also very lazy with this, and because she would rather be naked, she fights me tooth and nail on getting dressed most days.
Brush their teeth? Yes...I do it first, and then it's her turn. I tried letting her do it first, but then she wouldn't open her mouth to let me do it, so I had to switch it up...it's like her reward for letting me brush her teeth...kind of weird I guess, but it works.
Use the stairs? I am confident that she could do up the stairs on her own, but because going up generally is followed right away with going down (which she tries to do by just walking down them, doesn't work) I follow her when she goes up.
"help" clean? Yes she loves to help clean.

February 8th, 2012, 08:08 PM
handymandy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Use a fork? Yes.
Color with crayons? She loves to color, but you got to keep an eye on her or everything will end up like my table cloth...with ink on it.
Pick out their clothing? She doesn't care to really do this.
Dress themselves? She tries. She loves to try and put her own shoes on and everyone else's.
Brush their teeth? Yes. I do it first and then she finishes.
Use the stairs? She's getting pretty good at this. We let her go up in front of someone, but hold her hand on the way down.
"help" clean? She likes to help load and unload the dishwasher, but that is about the extent of it.

February 10th, 2012, 05:02 PM
HippieLove's Avatar Modern Day Brady Bunch
Send a message via MSN to HippieLove
Use a fork? yes
Color with crayons? yes
Pick out their clothing? sure
Dress themselves? um shes not able to just yet.
Brush their teeth? no she just sucks on the toothbrush lol
Use the stairs? i hold her hand we dont have stairs but theres a fews steps at my mums
"help" clean? yes. She loves to help.

Emma, girlfriend of Loz, future step-mama to J (15) and K (10), Mama to Jaelah (8), Oliver (5), Mianna (4) and Harper (2), WTTC our first together, in 2015.
February 11th, 2012, 07:08 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Use a fork? He's been doing this for a long time.
Color with crayons? Yes, with a little supervision (he wanders when left to his own devices, and I don't like scrubbing the marks off everything, LOL)
Pick out their clothing? When he expresses an opinion, I don't bother to argue it. There are bigger battles to have.
Dress themselves? I let him try. He rarely succeeds beyond his onesie/shirt, but he likes to try.
Brush their teeth? He doesn't like to do it himself.
Use the stairs?
"help" clean? We don't have any in our house, so he doesn't go on those unsupervised yet. He hasn't proven he is secure on them on his own yet.
February 11th, 2012, 11:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Use a fork? Yes but not the sharp ones yet. She still likes for me to help sometimes. She's an eater and doesn't like to be messy most times so she will say MAMA!! and hand me the fork or spoon
Color with crayons? Yes... ask my walls...
Pick out their clothing?I will sometimes let her pick between 2 outfits, but I dont overwhelm her with all the choices.
Dress themselves?No but she helps.
Brush their teeth?She likes to chew on her tooth brush by herself but I do the actual brushing while she screams and throws a fit.
Use the stairs?Yes but we still have the top and bottom gated... she can only do this one with supervison. Shes actually really good at steps because she has to follow me everywhere I go and we are up and down them dozens of times a day. She knows not to try to walk down and will sit on her bum or backwards crawl down. We will even let her go down or up with Michael. I have to carry Lilly so she got good at them quick.
"help" clean? She tries. We do laundry together... don't know if she helps or makes it take longer though lol

Last edited by JessW7; February 11th, 2012 at 11:11 PM.
February 12th, 2012, 07:05 AM
flitabout's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Use a fork? Yes I am no longer allowed to feed him. I tried to feed him pudding and he wouldn't even open his mouth
Color with crayons? OH yeah he loves to color!
Pick out their clothing? Not yet unless you call him stripping and running through the house. Mommy's little streaker!!!!
Dress themselves? Nope
Brush their teeth? Sorta he tried but eventually I will do it
Use the stairs? Nope but we don't have any stairs for him to climb in the house
"help" clean? Not so much. If I ask him to pick up what he dropped he stands there and screams.

February 13th, 2012, 12:02 PM
Moraine's Avatar Veteran
Use a fork? Yes
Color with crayons? Yes, but not very well.
Pick out their clothing? No, I've never really asked him.
Dress themselves? Not really. He can put his arms through on his own but that's it.
Brush their teeth? Not very well but yes.
Use the stairs? He can go up and down without help, but our stairs are always gated. But he still goes up and down at least once a day himself, but with someone right with him just in case.
"help" clean? He helps pick up his toys, and he plays with the vacuum but that's about it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search