WWYD Wednesday

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By inyourhonor
  • 1 Post By shockandawe
  • 1 Post By Ally-Mac
  • 1 Post By inyourhonor

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 15th, 2012, 10:09 AM
HeartHelloKitty's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So this story came up in one of the chat threads this morning.

What would you do if you had packed a sandwich, chips, and juice for your LO's lunch and the school took it away for "not being healthy enough" and charged you for chicken nuggets instead?

It blows my mind that this could happen. I don't understand how a school would think they had the right to take away food I sent to school for my child, regardless of how healthy they deem it to be. All my students get free lunch, and if they bring their lunch to school, I just check to make sure they have enough food since sometimes they'll bring a bag of chips and say that's their lunch. If that happens, I just have them grab a school lunch too. I would never take their food away. That's just ridiculous to me. I think if that happened, I'd be tempted to find another school for my kid.

February 15th, 2012, 10:16 AM
i:heart:you's Avatar Super Moderator
Wether or not I agree what is packed, I think it is wrong for the school to step in and say that it is wrong. It is their choice as a parent to decide what is best for their child. I would be livid! They have no right to decide what is healthy or not for my child. Not to mention the school lunches are that great either, chicken nuggets aren't much healtier. The chips are the only "bad" thing I see in that lunch.

**Thank you Bokkechick for my awesome siggy**
February 15th, 2012, 10:28 AM
Trish36's Avatar Mom of 4
I would be livid! I would make such a stink at the school board!! Aggggrrrr!!! this would never happen here. The kids have to bring their own lunch or they don't eat. Who are they to tell me how I should feed my kids. As long as it was allergy free. If it was a peanut butter sandwich, I could understand that.

Project 365 - 2012: http://trisha2012.wordpress.com/

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my gorgeous siggy!

February 15th, 2012, 10:34 AM
Celine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What kind of sandwich was it? I think it's funny that the sandwich was inappropriate but chicken nuggets is. LOL. Not sure what I would do. Probably ask to speak to the person who decided that.
February 15th, 2012, 10:41 AM
Irish_Wristwatch's Avatar Running with Scissors....
I would be very very angry, and i wouldnt pay them for the nuggets either. i dont think its up to anyone but me what i send my child for lunch.

The only exception to this would be if the child was packed a PBJ (which was not the case in the above mentioned story - that child was packed ham and cheese) and the school was a nut free zone, then i could understand taking the childs sandwich and giving them the school lunch instead

February 15th, 2012, 10:48 AM
Yeah, it was ham and cheese on wheat bread. I just can't understand what these people were thinking. I can't wrap my mind around it.

February 15th, 2012, 11:29 AM
Celine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyndyn View Post
Yeah, it was ham and cheese on wheat bread. I just can't understand what these people were thinking. I can't wrap my mind around it.
What? That's crazy. I can't believe they think ham and cheese is unhealthy and nuggets are healthy. I wouldn't pay for the nuggets either. Do you know what happened?
February 15th, 2012, 11:35 AM
sunshyne57's Avatar ~Angela~
Don't forget that she also packed a banana

I would be livid and refuse to pay. Chicken nuggets aren't the healthiest thing to have. The sandwich would have been healthier than that.

That's terrible.
February 15th, 2012, 11:45 AM
Oh yeah! I forgot the banana. Must be cause it's so unhealthy.

February 15th, 2012, 11:50 AM
i:heart:you's Avatar Super Moderator
The bananna even makes it worse for me. A bananna, ham and cheese sandwich and juice is a healthy lunch. I would be LIVID! I was thinking the chips were the problem.

**Thank you Bokkechick for my awesome siggy**
February 15th, 2012, 12:51 PM
Irish_Wristwatch's Avatar Running with Scissors....
if was just the chips (which i agree arent really the healthiest choice) why not just take the chips and send them back with the child

February 15th, 2012, 02:22 PM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would be furious and raise hell. I pack Gage healthy lunches and ONE treat, be it a jello cup, pudding (which is very rare) or something else of the sorts it's my child and my choice. Everything else is healthy. Fruit, veggies, a good sandwich or left overs from dinner.

I did read in an article she is pre-k, the little girl only ate 3 nuggets and the mother was charged for the lunch. The Gov't lady looked in the lunch box and then took it deeming it unhealthy. It didn't follow the USDA guidelines which I guess pre-k (at that school possibly) lunches (even packed) have to follow?! What the frick ever.

OMG A BANANA?! UNHEALTHY?! Sheet son, I just bought 2 of them for my kids because we go through them so fast. **** unhealthy kids of mine.

Oh and Gage knows he must eat everything else before he gets that extra treat. I have had him come home certain days with some lunch left in there AND his treat untouched because he knows he needs to eat everything else first.

Ugh, overstepping boundaries.
Alison79 likes this.

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
February 15th, 2012, 03:12 PM
Jeanie915's Avatar Hallie's Mommy
The news this morning said there was applesauce too.

I would be an uncontrollable angry mother. That's what makes so many parents want to homeschool their children. The parents should not be overruled by the school UNLESS it is without a doubt unhealthy or puts the child or others at any risk for something (ieeanut butter). But there is NO WAY that chicken nuggets are healthier than the lunch the mother packed.

February 15th, 2012, 07:56 PM
-LovingLife-'s Avatar Ani LeDodi veDodi Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanie915 View Post
The news this morning said there was applesauce too.

I would be an uncontrollable angry mother. That's what makes so many parents want to homeschool their children. The parents should not be overruled by the school UNLESS it is without a doubt unhealthy or puts the child or others at any risk for something (ieeanut butter). But there is NO WAY that chicken nuggets are healthier than the lunch the mother packed.
I couldn't have said it better myself!

Jontae
wife to Richard
mommy to
Caleb, Rachael, Ezekiel, Kerryn, and 5 angel babies

February 16th, 2012, 06:10 AM
mrsjl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
that is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard! I would be switching school and NOT paying for those chicken nuggets.

February 16th, 2012, 06:39 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I have to say that it's hard to fathom here as well. I might be on the fringe with this but even in the event that I sent a peanut butter sandwich with my child, I don't expect people to be inspecting kids lunches at all.

It definitely sounds like an overstep of boundaries. And I think if they were honestly interested in delivering the kids healthy alternatives, those nuggets would be hand made from real chicken breasts and served with a salad. My guess is they were preformed, deep fried and served with plum sauce and fries with carrot sticks on the side. Served with chocolate or strawberry milk no doubt.

I'd raise cain with the school board, and I'd start petitions for healthier lunches served at the school cafeteria. I'd probably have to start homeschooling because they'd know my child, by knowing me.
sfarrow3 likes this.

Check out my BLOGS
Making Lemonade
MonkeyPieForTheWin

February 16th, 2012, 06:53 AM
KatieHeitman's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to KatieHeitman Send a message via Skype™ to KatieHeitman
I don't have kids in school yet. But I would be angry. That seems like a perfectly fine lunch to pack for your child. Who cares about the chips, everything else was healthy. And chicken nuggets aren't much healthier. I'm on the food program for my daycare and the only way I can serve chicken nuggets is if they're homemade and baked. In order to have the full serving of some frozen nuggets you have to eat a lot of them (not sure the exact #).
February 16th, 2012, 09:50 AM
Mega Super Mommy
having a child with potentially deadly allergies to both eggs and peanuts, I would be absolutely livid if someone took away the lunch I packed for her and gave her ANY food. I don't care how healthy it was or wasn't. don't touch my childs food (most chicken nuggets contain eggs).

Becky - I do think it's important to be vigilant on checking kids lunches for peanut products if the school is nut free. Educating the parents is also important. You would be surprised at the number of parents who still try to send their kids to school with peanut products even though the school zone is nut free. this is done for safety reasons --- not for healthy lunch reasons. Taking a way a ham/cheese sandwich b/c you deem it unhealthy is utterly ridiculous!

ETA: not meant to start an allergy debate...I know people are passionate about the debate of not allowing certain foods, etc in school. People are either on one extreme or the other.
sfarrow3 likes this.
February 16th, 2012, 02:32 PM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was very nervous about sending my son to school his first day (when he started kinder) with a PB&J that I called and made sure that it was okay. Thankfully it was. I don't want to accidentally put another child at risk. I wouldn't be able to live with myself.
sfarrow3 likes this.

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
February 17th, 2012, 07:28 AM
sfarrow3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally-Mac View Post
having a child with potentially deadly allergies to both eggs and peanuts, I would be absolutely livid if someone took away the lunch I packed for her and gave her ANY food. I don't care how healthy it was or wasn't. don't touch my childs food (most chicken nuggets contain eggs).

Becky - I do think it's important to be vigilant on checking kids lunches for peanut products if the school is nut free. Educating the parents is also important. You would be surprised at the number of parents who still try to send their kids to school with peanut products even though the school zone is nut free. this is done for safety reasons --- not for healthy lunch reasons. Taking a way a ham/cheese sandwich b/c you deem it unhealthy is utterly ridiculous!

ETA: not meant to start an allergy debate...I know people are passionate about the debate of not allowing certain foods, etc in school. People are either on one extreme or the other.
Ditto!!

Tags
wednesday

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search