One Step Forward...Two Steps Back...

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By who_it_is
  • 1 Post By BelloFiglioLA
  • 1 Post By Leanne78
  • 1 Post By Oreobaby
  • 2 Post By ChoMomma

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 21st, 2012, 01:28 PM
Oreobaby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Oreobaby
So, I'm having some issues getting my DD off of the bottle. I have been avoiding the issue, because I enjoy the cuddles so much, I love that she will sit there and cuddle with you, and drink her bottle...it's part of her routine now, and I just don't know how to get out of it. She will drink from a sippy (she does on the weekends and anything else besides her morning bottle and night time bottle) and on the weekends in the morning, she will drink her milk out of a sippy. But I don't know if it's because I wake her up during the week that she just WILL NOT take her milk from the sippy. This morning, I tried to give it to her in a cup, and as soon as she saw the cup, she is pushing it away and screaming at the top of her lungs. Do I just let her scream? It's the only thing she gets in the morning, she is a slow waker uper, and isn't ready for something to eat till she gets to daycare. I just don't know what to do to get her off the bottle. Now that she is 20 months old, I'm starting to panic. Do I just pack them all away, and ONLY give her sippy's? sigh...I didn't think it would be this hard to get her off the bottle.

February 21st, 2012, 01:40 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hmm I am trying to remember how we got Baylee and Anthony off bottles. Honestly Anthony was at least 2 and half when he gave up his night time bottle. It is a hard thing to stop. With Baylee we just stopped giving it to her. We gave it to her in a cup and she didn't drink it for a week or so but then she realized that's what she was getting from now. She was like 15 months. If you decide to do it I would go all out and just put them away. Personally I don't see a problem with a couple bottles a day at this age. Its not like there is koolaid in them or soda. But I totally get it and the older she gets the harder it will be to break. Good Luck!!!

February 21st, 2012, 01:53 PM
kimmiejo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think if you really, really want her off of them then just pack them up and say goodbye, it won't be easy but once she realizes there are no bottles she will start drinking from the cup. Have you tried a straw type of cup? maybe she would like the novelty of that and it would help? or maybe give it a few more months and see what happens, she may give them up on her own? ya never know! good luck! Bottles weren't something I had an issue breaking with either of my kids, they just didnt seem to care, I consider myself lucky! Good luck!
February 21st, 2012, 02:07 PM
who_it_is's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
To be totally honest, why is it all that important that she give them up? If she's just down to 1-2 a day and that is her comfort, why is it an issue? It doesn't sound like she's talking a bottle of milk to bed (which admittedly wouldn't be great for her teeth) but if it's in the morning I guess I just don't see the issue with it.

Noelle still gets 1-2 bottles a day - one at nap and one at bed. They are both plain water, and its mainly the sucking that is of comfort to her because there is rarely even an ounce missing when we take it from her. I just don't see the harm in water when other kids are taking a paci to bed with them.

If you're concerned that it's milk she's drinking from the bottle, you could try to slowly either reduce the number of ounces in the bottle so she is eventually left with so little that it's just not worth her time or slowly cutting the milk with water so that she ends up with water rather than milk and enforce a milk only in cups rule. I'll also throw out there that Noelle hates a sippy and has started drinking from a big girl cup or those take and toss straw cups. Both are a completely different drinking action than sucking from a bottle so I think that's helped her to break the association some. She knows she gets milk in cups (and water in cups too) but her bottle of water is ONLY at bedtime, in her bed when she is ready to sleep. So maybe just letting her have it for morning cuddle time but no other times could be a start and work from there.
LisaB likes this.

To the Amazing Kelly: Thank you once again!! Amazing only begins to cover it.
February 21st, 2012, 04:54 PM
BelloFiglioLA's Avatar LAH * CLH
Our pedi said that we needed to get Levi off his bottle ASAP at his 18 month appointment. It was the most miserable 2 weeks we've had with him so far. We tried and gave up. He does the EXACT same thing as your daughter. He'll drink from a sippy but it's not good enough. He loves the comfort of his morning and night time bottle. He also pushes the cup away and screams until he gets a bottle (probably because he knows we'd rather give in then listen to him scream) He also just wants milk in a bottle. Water isn't good enough anymore either. I have thought about it a lot and honestly, we are doing what works for us. My brother and sister (who doesn't even have kids) judge us. They say we should stop cold turkey but I'm not doing that. I think that if it goes past 2 1/2 we'll set something in stone and stick to it, but for now it's not worth the fight. I'm too tired lol.
LisaB likes this.

February 22nd, 2012, 06:40 AM
Leanne78's Avatar Nov 2012 DDC Co-Host
Akadia still takes a few bottles a day - most at night before bed and in the morning. She drinks from a regular glass with a straw during the day with no problem, but she still likes her bottle at night. I don't really see a problem with it at this point but I know the pressure is on from others to get the baby off the bottle. It's not hurting her though and it gives us some cuddle time, so I'm not going to force her to stop right now. I think sometimes doctors and other people get so caught up on us having to push our kid on to the next milestone. It gets exhausting.
LisaB likes this.

February 22nd, 2012, 07:23 AM
Well, I'm definitely glad that Rayanne isn't the only one still on the bottle. I was worried I would get a lot of responses of WHAT, your daughter is 20 months old, and she still gets a bottle???!!! Her's is just in the morning and at night. During the day she has on average one glass of juice, and then water (and milk with lunch) I am not concerned about the amout of milk she is drinking. She is also still on 3% (whole) milk, as my dr. said that I should keep her on that till she is about 2, and then I will change her to 2% at that point. My neice still gets her bed time bottle (she will be 3 in July) so I'm not getting to much pressure from them, or my family, it's just friends I seem to be getting the pressure from. So it's tough. Raising kids is so hard, cause you constantly feel like everyone is "judging" you. lol.
LisaB likes this.

February 22nd, 2012, 07:37 AM
kimmiejo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
^^for what it's worth I wouldn't worry about it, if you are ok with it and it works than just do it. She won't go to high school with a bottle I am sure if Sam had resisted giving up his bottle he would still have it LOL
February 26th, 2012, 05:22 PM
MommaLee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Julie still gets a bottle, usually once a day unless she is at her Oma's. Her Oma offers way too many bottles but it's free childcare so I just leave it alone. Our pedi wanted her off bottles by 16 months but I didn't see what the big issue is at this point...she is still a baby.
February 27th, 2012, 10:28 AM
I'm wondering if kids that don't take soothers are harder to get off of the bottle. Where as kids that have soothers have that to be able to sooth them...for babies that have bottles, that is like their soother? I don't know, just a theory...who knows if it's right. lol

February 27th, 2012, 01:03 PM
ChoMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We still have paci's and bottles, she gave the bottle up then Rachel was born and now she wants a bottle too just like the baby. So yea....its going to be awhile until she's off the bottle completely and I dont really care. One bottle before bed and a few bottles stolen throughout the day just to suck on for a few seconds is no big deal to me. She wont be on them forever. I really doubt she'll go to school with a bottle lol.

and the paci will be a fight for when she's 2-2.5. Right now she is so attached to that **** thing I cant even imagine taking it away without locking myself in a closet for a few days.
Oreobaby and Leanne78 like this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search