Nap time woes

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 24th, 2012, 09:25 AM
Love_the_Shoes's Avatar Love my girls!!
I don't know how to get Aly to take a nap during the day now that she's not in her crib.

We moved her this weekend because for the past week (last week), she was trying climb out and screaming and shouting and causing a rukus. I thought, maybe she is trying to tell us she doesn't like to be caged in anymore---I was hoping I was wrong, b/c I don't want to move her yet...but, she has been sleeping thru the nights (only two days so far). It takes a bit to get her to lay in her bed (she roams)..but once she sleeps...she isn't up at 2 am screaming and shouting like she has been. I think she DOES prefer her new bed.

Problem is--I'm not sure how to do naps!

I am reading a book on how to raise a high-spirited child and they said to enforce a nap and/or siesta after lunch (she was falling asleep at like 4 pm, which is too late because she wouldn't sleep at night). They said after lunch, to tell her she can read, do puzzles or daydream..but no tv, no electornic toys and to tell them that if they dont want to sleep--it's okay...they don't have too, but they need to have quiet time for an hour. After that hour is up, resume regular toddler activities.

She won't sleep though and I know she needs it....at least with the crib she would eventually sleep. I don't know how she will be able to go all day and up until 9 at night w/o a nap..she will be nasty and miserable and try to beat up Natalie...that's how she gets when she's tired...she isn't a peaceful grouch.

This makes me nervous!!

April 24th, 2012, 11:00 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to MrsTiffy Send a message via Yahoo to MrsTiffy
Honestly I would try letting her skip her nap for a few days. It takes time for kids to get the hang of something new. It will be harder on you than it will be on her, but after a few days she will probably take that time to lay down. What I do to make sure Alex is ready for a nap is let Alex play outside all morning. When he is outside he is running around, and tiring himself out. He gets his lunch and then gets about an hour of quiet play. Then after we get my dd at 2pm from school everyone takes a nap. By that time he is so exhausted he passes out almost immediately. Then he sleeps until 4. That is what works for us.

Vivian (6)
Caden (5)
Alex (2)
Maura born 9/11/12

April 29th, 2012, 07:15 PM
Shantastic27's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Kristin, have you tried laying down with her for a few minutes? On the weekends when Livi naps I lay in her bed with her and it literally takes her like, less than 5 minutes to go to sleep because she's so sleepy. And I think with me laying down, she "gets" that she's supposed to lay down.

April 30th, 2012, 09:08 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I think laying with her would work... sometimes when michael is fighting a nap i take him in my bed and he's out in 5 minutes like Liv. However, then you run the risk of her not being able to nap without you... maybe you could lay with her for a week, then start sitting next to her bed instead, then start moving slowly out of the room? I think super nanny does this

April 30th, 2012, 11:30 AM
JaxonsMom2010's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Nap time has become a nightmare. Jaxon skips them most days now. And he is such a bear!!

May 1st, 2012, 05:16 AM
Meganpixel's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am a little late on this---so checking in to see how naps are going for you now??
June 15th, 2012, 07:31 PM
jen*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am a nap nazi (my 4 yr old still naps most days -- he drives me bonkers if he doesn't sleep and I don't get a break...talk about "spirited") and when we switched him to a bed, we just kept putting him back if he got out during naps and/or bedtime. We also reversed the lock of his bedroom (I know, I know - some may find this criminal) but that was mainly for his own safety -- i was so worried about what he may do at night while we were deeply sleeping. That's the only real tip that I have. Good luck!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search