**Updated with character design** Thinking of writing a children's book series

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree21Likes
  • 2 Post By mt23hc
  • 1 Post By MonkeyBugMommy
  • 3 Post By MonkeyBugMommy
  • 1 Post By ~Kris~
  • 1 Post By mt23hc
  • 1 Post By redbirds
  • 1 Post By irish luck
  • 2 Post By MonkeyBugMommy
  • 1 Post By mt23hc
  • 2 Post By MonkeyBugMommy
  • 1 Post By VeronicaBride
  • 1 Post By redbirds
  • 1 Post By RunningWithBoys

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 3rd, 2012, 07:35 AM
MonkeyBugMommy's Avatar Brooke
Send a message via Yahoo to MonkeyBugMommy
So, some of you know that I'm a children's book illustrator. For those of you who don't know - I'm a children's book illustrator! Most of you don't know that I'm also a writer. I'm an unpublished writer, but I've written a handful of manuscripts that I just haven't taken the time to attempt to get published yet. I will do this in the future. Hopefully sooner rather than later. ANYWAY, I was thinking this morning that I would like to write a series of books with a main character based on my silly Jillian, and I'd throw in a little sister based on Lucy as a secondary character. I'd like the books to be sort of along the lines of Junie B. Jones, Amelia Bedelia, Olivia, Ramona, etc. I'm not sure yet if I want to do chapter books (like Junie B. Jones) or a series of picture books (like Olivia). I'm leaning more towards picture books because, after all, I'm an illustrator and I LOVE picture books.

What does this mean to you? I need help with a name for the main character. Something cute and catchy. I want the main character and the little sister (maybe the pets, too) to have flower type names. Can you make any suggestions? First, middle and last name and any cute nicknames would be great! Only the first name HAS to be flower related.

These are all the flower names I can think of:
Violet
Rose
Petunia
Poppy (I love this name. It's actually the name of our smallest dog.)
Ivy
Daisy
Iris
Jasmine
Lily
Flora (maybe the moter's name?)
Pansy
Azalea
Calla
Lilac
Zinnia
Blossom
Bluebell (for a pet?)
Clover
Posey
Magnolia (nn Maggie. I like this one because it is LA's state flowe, and I'm from LA)

Last edited by MonkeyBugMommy; May 4th, 2012 at 02:49 PM.
May 3rd, 2012, 07:42 AM
mt23hc's Avatar Melissa
Send a message via AIM to mt23hc
Awwww that will be so cute and fun! I can't wait to see what you come up with!! I love all the names you said! Flora is PERFECT for the mom! I think Poppy is perfect for the main character because of all the names you listed, it would be easiest for children to read and pronounce. I don't know what your target age group is but I know Hayden would have a hard time with some of them.
MonkeyBugMommy and irish luck like this.
May 3rd, 2012, 07:56 AM
I was thinking Poppy or Posey for the main character for the same reason - because those seem pretty easy to read.

What about the little sister? I don't want her name to start with a P.

I like Clover and Bluebell for pet names.

What about a full name?
mt23hc likes this.
May 3rd, 2012, 08:05 AM
mt23hc's Avatar Melissa
Poppy Dew Bloom (main character)
Flora .... Bloom (mom)
Magnolia Fleur Bloom (sister)

Other middle name ideas--I am going to edit and come back to this.
palea: in grass flowers, the upper of the two inclosing bracts, the lower one being the lemma
ray: outer florets of some composites, bearing flat, corolla-like appendages; also the branches of an umbel or umbel-like cluster
aster
floret
flower synonyms. flower related words

Last edited by mt23hc; May 3rd, 2012 at 08:07 AM.
May 3rd, 2012, 08:15 AM
LOVE Bloom as a last name!!

Okay, how bad would it be if the dad was Bud? Bud Bloom..
irish luck likes this.
May 3rd, 2012, 08:27 AM
What if the main character was Magnolia __?__ Bloom (aka Maggie). I like the idea of calling the character Maggie, but knowing that her name is Magnolia. Like the title could be Magnolia Bloom Loses her Marbles (totally random), and her parents could call her by her full name when she's in trouble, or her teachers can call her by her full name.

Maybe her parents own a flower shop.. Bloom's Flower Shop of something.

I think Poppy Dew Bloom would be great for the little sister. And I'm thinking Bud and Flora Bloom for the parents.
mt23hc, redbirds and dalynnrmc like this.

Last edited by MonkeyBugMommy; May 3rd, 2012 at 08:30 AM.
May 3rd, 2012, 08:40 AM
Platinum Supermommy
You're so creative, Brooke! I love the way Magnolia Bloom sounds, but I think Poppy would definitely be anb easier name for kids. I know you said you'd nn her Maggie, but if the titles have the full name, I think kids would have an easier time with Poppy. But I like the LA connection too. Aren't I a great help?

I think you should do more of picture books, since you're an illustator at heart! I want to know what you've already done!!!
mt23hc likes this.
May 3rd, 2012, 09:24 AM
mt23hc's Avatar Melissa
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyBugMommy View Post
What if the main character was Magnolia __?__ Bloom (aka Maggie). I like the idea of calling the character Maggie, but knowing that her name is Magnolia. Like the title could be Magnolia Bloom Loses her Marbles (totally random), and her parents could call her by her full name when she's in trouble, or her teachers can call her by her full name.

Maybe her parents own a flower shop.. Bloom's Flower Shop of something.

I think Poppy Dew Bloom would be great for the little sister. And I'm thinking Bud and Flora Bloom for the parents.
I think that would be totally cute too! And Bud Bloom ! I love it!
MonkeyBugMommy likes this.
May 3rd, 2012, 01:34 PM
Melissa, I love, love, LOVE you for thinking of the last name Bloom! I loved you before, but you made me super happy with that!

Kris, I think I'm going to stick with Magnolia. I like it too much. There are other titles published that are hard to pronounce, so I think it'll be okay. As far as what I've already done.. I've been super busy raising babies, so I haven't pursued too much illustration work. I like to keep it light so I can focus on the kids for now. Over the past 5-6 years I've done some illustrations for magazines, some coloring and activity books, some games, this cool dry erase type table cloth with pictures to color, crossword puzzles, mazes, etc. on it.. My first book was a Chipper Kids book. Here's a link: Counting in the Crazy Garden (Chipper Kids): Margarette Burnette, Brooke Henson: 9780965379137: Amazon.com: Books . It has some pretty good reviews. Then for the past three or so years I've been working on a board book series for Bayer and the Hemophilia Association. LA Kelley Communications, Inc. - Our Children's Books There are 10 books in the series, and six have already been published. I finished one a couple months ago that hasn't been published yet, and I'm finishing another one up by the end of next week. Then I'm starting on two more right after that one is done. They've kept me pretty busy, so I haven't looked for other work. I will when this series is done, though.

Oh, and you can see some random things here: Welcome to BrookeHenson.com where you can view samples of Brooke's ArtWork!
mt23hc likes this.
May 3rd, 2012, 02:31 PM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
I LOVE THIS!!! I was thinking the same thing about hard to read Magnolia, but really, it's probably a good challenge. I mean, Kensley has books with Madeline, and that's not an easy name for someone learning to read to actually read... Love the idea of having Maggie for a nn.

I love Melissa's idea for Bloom, and Bud Bloom and Flora Bloom are AWESOME parental names. EVERYTHING is great! I think you have an awesome line up!

The only thing I would maybe suggest correcting is the idea of Fleur for a mn, as it's also a tough read with the e and u together. Maybe Rose? or some other short single-syllable flower name. or May ( like my baby girl ) since "April showers bring May flowers..."

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
May 3rd, 2012, 03:52 PM
I love Magnolia May Bloom! Good idea, Gwynne! I didn't want to use a second flower as a middle name because that sounds a bit odd to be. I like the way that May is flower related, just like Dew is, but not screaming "FLOWER" like the first names are.

I think I'll stick to just the first and last name in the titles, because I love the sound of Magnolia Bloom Ties Her Shoes or Magnolia Bloom: Kindergarten Clown (again, totally random titles), but I'll have "introductions" somewhere in the book where the whole names are given. Something like "That's me, Magnolia May Bloom, but everybody calls me Maggie."

I already love Magnolia Bloom, and she doesn't even exist yet! I want to draw her right now, but I have real, paying work that needs to get done first...
mt23hc likes this.
May 3rd, 2012, 04:44 PM
irish luck's Avatar *Callie*
I totally would love to buy your books for the daycare!

THANK YOU Jaidynsmum
FOR THE GREAT SIGGY!

Gavin Betsy
May 4th, 2012, 07:48 AM
So... I have real work that I need to do today, but what am I doing instead? I'm bringing Magnolia Bloom to life! I bought a new sketch book dedicated solely to her and her family and friends.

I've decided to go with Magnolia Bloom: Kindergarten Clown. The story will be about Maggie starting kindergarten and worrying that the kids will make fun of her and laugh at her, so she decides that she's going to give them a reason to laugh. She's going to do funny, crazy things to try to make everyone like her, but in the end she's going to learn that everyone will like her even when she's not being a clown.
~Kris~ and redbirds like this.
May 4th, 2012, 10:31 AM
mt23hc's Avatar Melissa
Awwwwww I love it Brooke! You know you are going to have all of us waiting (im)patiently to buy the series!! LOL!

PS: You need to update your biography on your site LOL!
May 4th, 2012, 02:39 PM
Introducing Magnolia May Bloom! (Can you tell who she's based off of..? )

I hadn't painted in so long that it took me a little bit to remember how the paint worked.. lol My professional illustrations are all digital. I enjoyed painting today, though!
redbirds and KimberlyAnn327 like this.

Last edited by MonkeyBugMommy; May 4th, 2012 at 04:05 PM.
May 4th, 2012, 04:49 PM
VeronicaBride's Avatar Jen
Love her and your whole story idea Brooke! Can't wait to buy it someday

May 4th, 2012, 05:23 PM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
I love it! She's just beautiful I've seen some kids books where the illustrations are not pleasing to the eye (hard to explain, maybe a bit harsh with the details or facial features?) but this is just DARLING! Kids are going to love it.

And I LOVE the idea of starting with her going to kindergarten. What an awesome place to begin. I'm in a MOPS group of 70 women, so I can also pitch this for ya in my area

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
May 4th, 2012, 06:54 PM
mrsdaiwa24's Avatar Amy, soon-to-be-mama of 2
Oh my gosh! I can't wait to read this adorable book!!!!!
May 7th, 2012, 11:07 AM
dalynnrmc's Avatar pronounced (day-lynn)
Wow, this is great Brooke! (Just now seeing it, of course.) I think a second series based on Poppy that is strictly picture book would be fun too! I think this name and your ideas lends itself better to a longer sort... maybe not Junie B. but thinking similar to Henry and Mudge?

Much thanks to Alethia for my beautiful siggie and tags!!
May 8th, 2012, 06:01 AM
RunningWithBoys's Avatar Amanda
Loooooove loooooove and looooove some more. You have got a winner here. Don't let this dream go hon! Run straight for it!
mt23hc likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search