Getting him to sleep in his bed

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By cfm

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 11th, 2012, 09:29 AM
kellysensei's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Anyone have any advice on how to get Gabriel to sleep in his toddler bed? Almost every single nap and bed time, he gets out of bed multiple times (25+, if we let it go that far) and will NOT stay in bed. It's probably a game to him, but we're sick of it and usually just give up after five times of putting him back in bed. He eventually falls asleep on the floor by the door. Even if we somehow get him to fall asleep in bed, he either falls out or gets out of bed soon after and spends the rest of nap/bedtime on the floor. We desperately want to get Evan in the crib in that room, but part of the problem is that we can't even open the door without smacking Gabriel in the face. (Evan goes to sleep much later than Gabriel, unfortunately.)

Any advice? He's been doing this for two weeks now (since we introduced the toddler bed).

Evan James (2/18/12) and Gabriel Anthony (6/5/10)

June 11th, 2012, 10:47 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Mattress on the floor! We spent the last week trying to get holly to stay in her toddler bed. Last night we put the mattress on the floor and she stayed! And it sounds like lots of other ladies here had success with a mattress on the floor.

June 11th, 2012, 11:05 AM
ChoMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yes we use mattress on the floor and she loves it, although some nights she still sleeps with me...that's a whole other issue, but I dont mind it really for now

Umm...why dont you put him back in his crib? maybe he's not ready for the toddler bed since you said it started when you switched him.

June 11th, 2012, 11:41 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I think they want to put the baby in the crib. I don't want to discourage you but we had big plans of our kids sleeping the same room from about two months of age...Holly ended up sleeping in a pack and play in the living room until she was 15 months old.

And for what it's worth, once Holly passes out in front of the door I just kind of push the door passed her and leave her to sleep on the floor instead of putting her back in her bed. So, if he does end up sleeping on the floor, maybe just leave him there instead of putting him back in the bed he clearly doesn't want to stay in?
3xCrazy likes this.

June 11th, 2012, 02:33 PM
3xCrazy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We were the same with Malakai and Dakotta and yeah she slept in a pack n play in the living room hahahahaha.

Can you buy a bed rail so its harder for him to get out? We used something like this when Kai was a baby

June 11th, 2012, 03:13 PM
kimmiejo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would ditto the mattress on the floor, Sydney never slept in a toddler bed she slept on a mattress on the floor until we got her a big girl bed. It worked well.....Sam is still in his crib, I am pretty sure he could get out of it if he really tried and I really do need to switch him soon but the whole transition thing is nerve wracking because he sleeps so well in his crib. Every week I say "next weekend I am converting to a toddler bed" needless to say he is still in his crib but other than putting his leg up on the rail from time to time he doesn't really try to climb out, I hope I didn't just jinx it :/....next weekend I will convert to a toddler bed
June 11th, 2012, 04:25 PM
who_it_is's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ditto the others. I would either try mattress on the floor. Or maybe put up a gate in his doorway so you don't have the issue with opening the door, but he is still contained in his room. If that doesn't help, I'd go with maybe he just isn't ready to be out of a crib yet?? It sounds like you want the boys to share a room and for the baby to use Gabriel's crib, but if it's not working out for Gabriel to give up his crib maybe baby in a bassinet or pack and play for awhile and give it another go in a month or two.

I have also thought of converting Noelle's crib to a toddler bed, but she's never attempted to get out on her own so I don't want to jinx it either. She also tends to have a hard time going down at night so I know we would be setting ourselves up for a hard time with her getting up over and over and over again before finally settling. If it's not broke it doesn't need to be fixed IMO.

To the Amazing Kelly: Thank you once again!! Amazing only begins to cover it.
June 12th, 2012, 07:11 AM
kellysensei's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well, he can't get out of the room, anyway, because we have this thingy on the doorknob that makes it difficult for little hands to open.

I'm not sure about the mattress on the floor thing, because then it leaves his bed frame open and he could get stuck in that. We have no other place in the house to store the bed. I guess as long as he's sleeping, I shouldn't worry about him sleeping on the floor too much...I think my main concern at this point about getting the kids to share a room is that Evan usually wakes up to nurse around 5:30/6:00 (and then we both go back to sleep - hopefully - until 7:30) and if Gabriel wakes up at that point, he won't go back to sleep if it's light outside. And I don't want Gabriel up for the day at 6AM when he doesn't fall asleep until 9:30.

I guess I should've known this would be difficult...

Evan James (2/18/12) and Gabriel Anthony (6/5/10)

June 12th, 2012, 09:22 AM
ChoMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I can't imagine my girls sharing a room yet, maybe in another year or longer? They have different sleep schedules and I dont think it would work for anyone. Rachel is still waking up at least once a night sometimes twice and would wake Alicia up. Plus Alicia goes to bed later etc..Anyhow it is very difficult having 2 so close together but it does get easier *I think* lol or have been told it does.

Maybe just let him be wherever he falls asleep he falls asleep? I dont know what other advice to give, besides the mattress on the floor or back to a crib. Fingers crossed something works and soon!

June 12th, 2012, 10:59 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Yeah, we're just ditching the toddler bed frame and will buy a new bed when she is older and ready for the switch. Don't have much advice about the early nursing, more often than not Holly wakes O up earlier than he'd get up on his own. It sort of sucks but it's our reality (and another reason why she slept in the living room for so long).

July 24th, 2012, 11:33 PM
sarahb52's Avatar Veteran
Liam (2 yrs old as of 6-1) is doing the same thing! We switched his crib to the toddler bed and I have had to fight him to stay in it long enough to fall asleep. Once he is out, we're good but it is like pulling teeth to get him to stay in bed. He will climb out and stand in his doorway (gated) and scream. Ugh! My DH says it's because he isn't ready to go to bed but seriously, tonight it was almost 2 am before he finally went to sleep.
July 26th, 2012, 05:27 PM
sugarloafbaby's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think the others have some great suggestions. Dallas is still in her crib and does not really ever try to get out- she loves her little sleeping space thank goodness. We have a deeper crib that is harder for a toddler to climb out of so that helps too. When we were on vacation she had to sleep in a twin bed alongside a wall, and she kept getting out and coming out of the room, so I am so thankful we are not dealing with that at home just yet. I can't imagine having Dahlia and Dallas share a room for a while, although we have done it out of necessity on trips and it worked out ok as long as they were both very very tired. But I'm glad they have their own rooms at home, it makes things much easier since Dahlia is up every 2-4 hrs.

Thank you .:Shortcake:. for my siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search