HELP - diaper changes

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 5 Post By cfm
  • 1 Post By kellysensei

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 14th, 2012, 05:13 PM
kellysensei's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So, besides the bed issues, we are having major issues with Gabriel and diaper changes. He's not a big fan of having his diaper changed - takes away from playtime, I guess - and lately he has started to kick us hard when we try to change him. I've been kicked in the legs, arms, stomach, chest (OUCH), and Grandpa almost got kicked in the face a few days ago.

Telling him in a firm voice to stop doesn't work; he smiles or laughs at us and kicks harder. Backing off for a second and saying nothing works only until I resume changing him, at which point he starts kicking again.

The only two things that usually make him stop are screaming at the top of our lungs or spanking his bare butt (which I obviously don't want to do if he's pooped).

Help - we are so furious with him. What can we do to make him stop kicking us? He does not kick or hit any other time; just during diaper changes.

Evan James (2/18/12) and Gabriel Anthony (6/5/10)

June 14th, 2012, 06:52 PM
3xCrazy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Maybe try toilet training then?

June 15th, 2012, 02:30 AM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
^ That's the only thing I've been able to solve this issue with. I haven't had it with all 4 kids, but I have had it with both girls...

June 15th, 2012, 05:07 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I think he's playing a game and he's winning, big time. I would try getting really, really silly with him at diaper change time. Tickling, grabbing his legs and kicking for him, blowing raspberries on his belly, getting really over the top goofy. Beat him at his own game. He'll probably loosen up and then relax a bit bit so that you can get the job done. Try and make diaper changes a fun time between the two of you instead of a battle. Try not to get furious. It's small potatoes and a battle of wills with a two year old rarely ends well. Get put of the cycle and mindset you in right now for diaper changes. Save the face screaming and bum smacking for really big deals.

Another thing I do with with Holly sometimes, because she's a diaper change fighter too, is I let her watch videos of herself on my phone while I change her.

June 15th, 2012, 05:13 AM
kimmiejo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
ditto everything Michelle said....Michelle is super smart listen to her haha

seriously though Sam does it too sometimes, I distract him or just ignore it and get the diaper changed as quick as possible, that way you aren't drawing attention to the kicking which likely to him, is just a fun game.
June 15th, 2012, 07:38 AM
It's hard to ignore a behavior that's causing you physical pain! I will try being sillier with him. I already sing to him and give him a book or toy to play with during diaper changes. I definitely don't think he's ready for potty training...he could sit in a dirty diaper all day and not care.

June 15th, 2012, 08:38 AM
who_it_is's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree with Michelle as well (she is a wise, wise woman )

A battle of wills with a toddler will never end in your favor, choose your battles wisely. It could also be that he's getting a reaction out of you, and continuing to kick because it gets a reaction, it gets him attention. In the world of a kid, any attention - even negative - is good attention. Screaming at him and spanking him will only show him that those are also ok ways to respond... Behaviors that you're trying to curb, you may be unintentionally reinforcing.

I would just try to distract him as much as possible. And get in, get out and be done as fast as possible, giving as little attention as possible to his negative behavior and really playing up (in a MAJOR way) his positive when he does stay still or use his gentle touches.

Best of luck and a ton of patience to you. Toddler's are tough to deal with sometimes.

To the Amazing Kelly: Thank you once again!! Amazing only begins to cover it.
June 15th, 2012, 08:59 AM
Mega Super Mommy
One other little tip that worked for me. I always change James on the change table and when he tries kicking me, I back away and he ends up kicking the railing from the change table. Instead of hurting me, he's hurting his feet (or the back of his legs now, since he's so tall). He gives up quickly since it's no fun for him.

Other than that, I would have to agree with the wise one (Michelle).
June 18th, 2012, 07:20 AM
I've made sure he has a toy in his hands AND I sing a silly song to him, and he's been good all but one time in the last couple days...hope it keeps up!
cfm likes this.

June 18th, 2012, 08:22 AM
ChoMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Again everything Michelle said...We do exactly that.

But really, we have the same issue - I dont think its something to get furious over in the grand scheme of things, he's being a 2yr old. I am expecting the same from Rachel when she reaches this age although she's so lazy sometimes I'm not so sure. lol. Just distract and move quickly when changing LOL

August 9th, 2012, 09:29 AM
Veteran
When my daughter does this, I change her standing up. It's tricky at first, but not as hard as you'd think. If I think it's poop I change her in the bathroom, just in case. On one had, it's harder to kick when she's standing on her feet, and on the other, doing diaper changes in the bathroom standing up, and helping to wipe herself, makes her feel like a "big girl" and more eager to cooperate.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search