Gonna rant about a stupid pregnant lady...

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By MeggysMommy
  • 1 Post By nurselochia

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 25th, 2012, 03:57 PM
~I ♥ my Munchkin~'s Avatar ~Gabriel's Mommy~
My SO's cousin got pregnant very unexpectedly (as in, she was about 4 mos before she found out because she suffers from severe PCOS).

Well, she's not the brightest I guess about pregnancy. I mean, OK, tomorrow is her due date, so at least she's gone this far, but her DR is letting her go through an induction just because she "didn't want to go a day over." I think this is really stupid on the DR's part, and her part for not waiting to see if her body does it on its own (she says she's made no progress on her own so far--she's only 40 weeks, and this is her first pregnancy).

If she would actually be a little intelligent she'd read up about first time pregnancies and that inductions work much less often if you have made no progress on your own. Her baby is healthy and fine & there is no medical reason for an induction other than she's in a hurry to have her baby.

I was induced (at least my DR attempted induction) because I had GD and Gabriel was big (he was 9.2 when he was born). I was in a hurry too, but the trauma I went through during that failed induction & then ending up with a c-section, I would have waited it out if it had been an option. But I am aware of things and read. I guess she's not or just doesn't care.

I HOPE her induction goes smoothly and her labor is without incident, but we all know inductions make labor more painful and complications more possible. I think it's just selfish & I want so badly to go off on her for being that way just because she didn't want to go a day over 40 weeks.

OK, end of rant.

~Thanks AlexKatieAiden Mommy for my awesome siggy~
June 26th, 2012, 09:59 AM
MeggysMommy's Avatar 3 + 1
Wow yeah that is not smart on the doctor's part at all! In one of the FB groups I'm on there is a woman who is 10 days overdue and the docs won't induce her yet just because "she feels done" which I'm actually glad to hear. I think too many times docs do it to make it convenient for themselves and then the inductions go the wrong way. Though I do hope that her induction goes without a hitch. If you can KUP how she does.

June 26th, 2012, 12:47 PM
Well, apparently she didn't get to go today but tomorrow is going to go to L&D for a pitocin drip. I was like NO WAY. My OB had me on pitocin for only 2 hours after nothing else worked JUST TO SEE if it would. It didn't, of course, which she expected because my cervix wasn't ready. I fully expected to have a c-section even when she tried the pitocin. Her OB seems to be a moron or something. I guess he's just going to forego the cervix ripening part of induction and just put her through torture with pitocin. I hope that it works, but the odds are not in her favor if that is the only thing her OB is going to do. I may only have one child, but I have watched my sister go through 6 pregnancies and 6 births & of course all you ladies here PLUS I educate myself.

June 26th, 2012, 06:46 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I am the odd girl out, but 4 out of 5 of my pregnancies were elective inductions at 39 weeks. And it went perfectly each time. BUT I was already dialated to a 3 or 4 before they started the induction...But with Macie my new dr wouldn't do an elective induction but I was lucky because she was 10 days early.

Thanks Chelsea (Graysmama) for my awesome siggie!
June 27th, 2012, 06:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennimomof4 View Post
I am the odd girl out, but 4 out of 5 of my pregnancies were elective inductions at 39 weeks. And it went perfectly each time. BUT I was already dialated to a 3 or 4 before they started the induction...But with Macie my new dr wouldn't do an elective induction but I was lucky because she was 10 days early.
I don't have an issue with elective inductions, but it is obvious her body isn't ready at all, and that's my problem. She said she's made no progress on her own so I guess she's under the impression pitocin is going to magically make her cervix ready. Hopefully one treatment with cervical ripening gel (or whatever they use) works, but my OB told me that it often takes several treatments when your cervix isn't doing anything. I'm just worried she'll have complications, but I do hope she doesn't. You had already started to dilate, so that helps a lot, you know?

June 27th, 2012, 09:04 PM
Well, SO's cousin is having a c-section.

If I was a mean ***** I would go off and say I told ya so, but I won't. I mean, she could have ended up with one anyhow, but she could have very likely avoided a section if she'd just given her body more time.

*sigh*

June 28th, 2012, 08:16 AM
I noticed your fb updated and popped over here to see if it was a section or not. Well I do hope that she has a speedy recovery. But yeah I feel that could have been avoided.

June 28th, 2012, 10:01 AM
Yeah, she had her baby around 1 AM. A little girl she named Avarie.

Full-term, 40 weeks, and she only weighed 5 lbs and some ounces, so super tiny!!

I still think she should have waited and given herself more time & the little baby a bit more time to gain some weight. That just seems so small for a full term baby! But she's healthy and all is good, so I'm happy for her.

June 29th, 2012, 09:04 AM
Did she have any bp issues? And were they sure on her due date? That just seems soooo tiny for "full term". Heck Megan was almost 8lbs and was 3 weeks early and I had pre-e which supposedly stops fetal growth. I am glad that her baby is doing good though

June 29th, 2012, 09:45 AM
nurselochia's Avatar Marathon running mom of 4
I could so go on about elective inductions with a closed cervix for no reason than being 40 weeks, but I'll try to reign myself in a bit lol. It's just setting up a c/s the hard way if they don't do cervical ripening. Elective inductions at 39 weeks with a favorable cervix, then fine. But a closed, thick cervix and pitocin? Never works. Sometimes I just don't get it.

Thanks Jaidynsmum!!

June 29th, 2012, 11:34 AM
No, there were no health issues for her or the baby that we know of & they could NEVER really be 100% about her due date because she has severe PCOS and her period is very irregular and she did not know she was pregnant until about 4 mos (only predicted by U/S). Why her baby is so tiny, who knows? She lost a lot of weight before she got pregnant and there were a lot of questions going around about whether or not she was using illegal drugs to get that way (they do know she used diet pills, tho I don't know what kind). Her BF isn't the greatest (he has a drug/alcohol problem), so no one really knows. I don't know her very well, but she just never seemed like a bad person, but since she left her husband & found this new guy (that she got pregnant w/) she's just apparently made some bad choices.

And Jaime, I KNOW how you feel. You work in the field, so I am sure you know more than most, but I went through a traumatic induction, but I had GD & Gabriel was a pretty good sized (9.2 when he was born), so my DR did not want to wait it out. Had I had the choice, I would have. I went through every possible thing to get my cervix ready (3 treatments of gel, 1 round of cytotech that only caused constant contractions, and a foley bulb), but NOTHING worked. My OB had me on pitocin for only 2 hours because she did not believe anything was going to work. She told me before I started the prepping of my cervix that pitocin alone doesn't work on a cervix that is not ready (mine got soft but never even fully got to 1cm).

Like I said, her OB sounds like a moron & she is rather moronic too for being that way and not taking into consideration what could (and DID) happen.

I am glad her baby is fine & I hope she has a smooth recovery, but I just believe she could have avoided all of this if she would have just sucked it up and waited.

Blah.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search