How are you all beating the heat?

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 2nd, 2012, 10:30 AM
dmwinge's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to dmwinge
It's actually hot here in North Dakota. It's supposed to get to 95 - 100 most of the week! For ND, that's not even close to normal. We usually have 80s for highs. And the humidity is nuts since we're in a river valley. We don't have central air and just have one window unit that just keeps the living room tolerable.

So, I want to know what you all do/are doing to beat this heat?

Thank you Babydoll213 for the awesome siggy!
July 2nd, 2012, 11:00 AM
*AngieKH*'s Avatar Mom of 4
We've had highs around 100 or higher for like 5 days or so now and there's no end in sight. We do have central air here, for which I am very thankful. I'm staying home a lot. When we go out, we have air in the car, but I don't feel like getting out much. Humidity is horrible here most of the time, since we're on the Mississippi River, but lately it's been a bit dryer and we have the worry of fires around here now, but nothing serious yet.

Grace (7), Elijah (4), Hannah (1), Joey (born at 39 weeks)
plus 3 step-kids Brandon (18), Sarah (16) and Adam (13)
July 2nd, 2012, 11:14 AM
*AngieKH*'s Avatar Mom of 4
I posted a whole long answer and then lost it when I tried to post. Ugh.

Anyway, I was just saying that it's been 100-105 here for almost a week already. We normally have high humidity being right on the Mississippi River, but we've actually had fire dangers here with lower than normal humidity. Still miserable and I'm not leaving the house much. We have central air and it was just fixed up earlier this spring so it's working well. I have to sleep with a ceiling fan on high though because I get so hot at night.

Grace (7), Elijah (4), Hannah (1), Joey (born at 39 weeks)
plus 3 step-kids Brandon (18), Sarah (16) and Adam (13)
July 2nd, 2012, 03:32 PM
bookworm16_2000's Avatar Mom to Allison and JR
It's been near 100 or above here for a while! We have an evap cooler here but our favorite is to go out to our pool. We have a 10 foot above ground pool that is perfect for Allison to swim in.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the terrific siggy!

My Blog
July 3rd, 2012, 09:58 AM
dmwinge's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to dmwinge
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookworm16_2000 View Post
It's been near 100 or above here for a while! We have an evap cooler here but our favorite is to go out to our pool. We have a 10 foot above ground pool that is perfect for Allison to swim in.
We call those "swamp coolers" lol Kevin wanted to get one for the camper, but we can't find one that would work on it. Do they work pretty good? When we were in Montana one 4th of July, I saw them all over the place, but they're a lot less humid than we are in the Valley.

Thank you Babydoll213 for the awesome siggy!
July 3rd, 2012, 04:12 PM
bookworm16_2000's Avatar Mom to Allison and JR
I typed swamp cooler too but figured no one would know what I was talking about so I changed it! They work great if there is little humidity, it adds moisture to our inside air and actually helps Allison's skin (she has severe eczema). If the humidity is over 30-40% it's useless. But remember, I live in Arizona, the heat is a dry heat. At 20% humidity, people start complaining!

Thanks to Claire1979 for the terrific siggy!

My Blog

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search