Throwing food

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 6th, 2012, 11:55 AM
krsnow's Avatar Super Mommy
My LO has this bad habit of throwing food on the floor, and same with whatever spoon\fork & sippy cup he is using. It happens at every meal, and nothing I do seems to fix it. I have tried time outs and that didn't work. Lately I have been taking him out of his chair and make him pick up everything off the floor, but that doesn't stop him the next time. I don't know if I believe that it means he is full and wants to end the meal, because sometimes it happens after only a few bites of food. I usually take everything away from him and feed him myself (me holding the spoon) and he continues to eat. Does anyone have advice?

July 6th, 2012, 12:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
yuck...that's frustrating.

Maggie doesn't throw her food, but I know it's only a matter of me saying that which will jinx it. I do know that if I feed her myself, or make a show of her bad behaviour it only encourages it to happen more.

I think you're doing alright. The only thing I think I might do differently is take it away completely and let him flip out while he watches everyone else eat. May sound harsh, but if he has to sit there the whole meal time doing nothing but watch other people eat, it may make him want it enough to change his behaviour.

Good luck!

Check out my BLOGS
Making Lemonade
MonkeyPieForTheWin

July 6th, 2012, 12:38 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by shockandawe View Post
yuck...that's frustrating.

Maggie doesn't throw her food, but I know it's only a matter of me saying that which will jinx it. I do know that if I feed her myself, or make a show of her bad behaviour it only encourages it to happen more.

I think you're doing alright. The only thing I think I might do differently is take it away completely and let him flip out while he watches everyone else eat. May sound harsh, but if he has to sit there the whole meal time doing nothing but watch other people eat, it may make him want it enough to change his behaviour.

Good luck!
Yup. I'd take it away, say "You're done." and continue eating.

July 6th, 2012, 01:18 PM
Mega Super Mommy
audie doe this! if she cant stop when she is asked she is removed from the highchair and put into time out after timeout i ask if shes still hungry if she is she goes back if not she helps me clean it up.

thank you shortcake for my lovely siggy

July 6th, 2012, 03:53 PM
noworries
Isaac did this for the longest time and still does sometimes but not as often. I tell him that if he's done, he needs to just put him food on his plate and say all done. Then if he throws it again, I get him down out of his chair and tell him that he is done. You have to just be consistent and it will take time. It's frustrating but he's not going to immediately learn so lots of repetition and consistency is in store.
July 7th, 2012, 06:19 AM
Celine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Poor you. Your LO is really challenging you. I feel your pain. I have days like this, too.
I punish with time-outs and then it happens again. Some days are just like that. It get's really frustrating.

I think you are doing great and are doing the right thing. IMO it looks like your LO is trying to push your buttons and see how much he can push you. I tell Sophia that she will go to bed if she doesn't stop. The crib is the safest spot in our house right now. If I have one of those days I increase the time that she goes into time-out (in her crib).

I know I sound tough but I let Sophia push me around a lot. Some days I just don't have the patience.

to you!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search