Feeding question

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 6th, 2012, 12:58 PM
krsnow's Avatar Super Mommy
Does your LO eat with their hands, or do they do well on their own with a fork & spoon? Do you encourage them to feed themselves, or do you feed them? Maybe I am expecting too much out of my LO because I try to encourage him to feed himself, but it always ends up a disaster with food\spoon throwing (see my last post).

July 6th, 2012, 01:38 PM
Mega Super Mommy
So eating with her hands is a constant struggle with Maggie. If I say "use your spoon/fork" once during any given mealtime, I'm willing to bet I say it 100 times more. I try not to feed her instead, but with her, it's not like she prefers me to do it for her anyway...she just prefers to feel her food. Makes my mom/grandma/aunt cringe every time.

When Maggie was itty bitty and I was on mat leave, I used to watch a show called House of Tiny Tearaways, trying to prepare myself with how to deal with this particular stage as well as I could I guess. I actually loved it, and they dealt with several pretty severe eating issues while I watched them. You might find them interesting/helpful.

I also noticed that she's better using her utensils with foods that aren't easily managed with her hands - though I'll admit she still tries. My only suggestion is to keep up with it, and keep reminding him. Keep putting the utensil back in his hand. If he throws something, take everything away, and let him watch the rest of the family enjoy what they are eating while he gets to sit like a lump. It's the only thing, (short of what any progressive mom would go slack jawed at reading) that I can think of to help. This sounds to me like a whole lot of terrible two limits pressing.

Check out my BLOGS
Making Lemonade
MonkeyPieForTheWin

July 6th, 2012, 04:57 PM
noworries
I don't care if Isaac eats with his hands or with a utensil. I offer a utensil and let him choose. And if he wanted me to feed him, I would (he never wants me to though). Its not worth it to me to fight over something silly like this. He's not even 2 yet.
July 7th, 2012, 07:04 AM
Celine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have a picky eater so meal time is always a challenge for us. I let her use a spoon to eat yoghurt/cereal by herself. Bread/crackers she can eat with her hands. But if she throws the food or utensils I tell her meal time is over and wash her off and take her out of her seat. She is not into eating anyways.

Yoghurt can get messy. A lot of times I take the spoon away from her and I feed her. Otherwise the stuff gets everywhere.
July 7th, 2012, 12:06 PM
Mega Super Mommy
She feeds herself 99% of the time and does really well using her spoon and fork. Once in a while I have to tell her to use her utensil.

July 8th, 2012, 08:33 AM
Calendula's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
She eats with her hands a lot, but does okay using a spoon with solid chunks or things with a thick consistency. She doesn't like forks.

July 8th, 2012, 01:27 PM
krsnow's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by noworries View Post
I don't care if Isaac eats with his hands or with a utensil. I offer a utensil and let him choose. And if he wanted me to feed him, I would (he never wants me to though). Its not worth it to me to fight over something silly like this. He's not even 2 yet.
I have been meaning to go back & answer your question from one of my previous posts about positive discipline - you had asked me what book i was reading and you posted a link to Jane Nelsen's site. I am in fact reading "Positive discipline, the first three years" by Jane Nelsen. There is a big section in the book that talks about autonomy in toddlers and how parents don't give them freedom to explore & aren't encouraging them to learn skills. This made me think about how I do things with my LO and it's mainly because of this I was trying to encourage him to use utensils, thinking I was baby-ing him too much by doing everything for him. So honestly it's not that I fight with him over this, but I thought that I was hindering his development by taking control of the spoon every time. Also I see other kids at play dates that seem to be able to eat on their own so I somehow thought I was doing something wrong with my LO. I am going to stop worrying about all of it, and just feed him myself to keep myself sane because I'm really loosing my patience with everything ending up on the floor.

Another thing about the book - it says that toddlers don't understand that they are doing wrong, but I have to disagree because there are things my Lo knows are off limits, like the stove, or standing on chairs, and he will look me right in the eye, smile, laugh & do it over and over again to see how far he can push me. there is nothing in the book that addresses this sort of stuff. I'm coming to the conclusion that my LO requires a little more harsh type of discipline, like possibly spankings (which I really don't want to do). I will give times outs a try again, and see how it goes.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search