Diaper Changing Fights

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 6th, 2012, 01:04 PM
krsnow's Avatar Super Mommy
Just recently my LO started being difficult with diaper changes. He was never really that cooperative, but lately it's worse. He runs away from me when he knows I'm going to change his diaper. I have to chase him around the house, and drag & force him to lay down so I can change him and meanwhile he tries to roll over or escape. A friend told me this is a sign of readiness for toilet training, but I'm not sure he is ready for that. Does anyone else have this problem?

July 6th, 2012, 01:33 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I've had this problem. The best I could come up with was giving her something to hold on to while we changed, like the diaper, a wipe or the powder. It diverts her attention from fleeing to helping Mommy, and she becomes more cooperative.

I hope you find a solution! I can only imagine how frustrating it must be being pregnant and having to "force" diaper changes!

July 6th, 2012, 01:43 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Maggie goes through phases...I just stopped chasing her, but she also just recently got obsessed with what's in her diaper...so this week, no she isn't running away or fighting me. But she was just a few weeks ago.

I have to wonder if he's not acting out because you're so close to delivering your next one. I feel for you - I can't imagine how hard this is on you trying to rein him in and keep your sanity. How have you been broaching the subject of him being a big brother? Maybe he's a bit spooked and regressing without even understanding it.

Check out my BLOGS
Making Lemonade
MonkeyPieForTheWin

July 6th, 2012, 04:55 PM
noworries
Yes, Isaac is sometimes like that. I don't force him. Usually if I talk to him and explain what's going on it helps. And then I sing silly songs in funny voices to help keep him occupied during the diaper change.
July 7th, 2012, 07:09 AM
Celine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sometimes we have the "chase me around the house" diaper changing episodes. She smiles and giggles. It's a game for her. She is always on the go and laying down is just not for her at times.

Other times she is really willing to lay down and get her diaper changed.

Is yours laughing/smiling when you chase him around?

I saw a lady at the airport last year she had a little boy that she was trying to change. He had his legs and butt all the way in the air while she was trying to keep him on the seat where she had him. I felt so bad for her. He looked like he was in a rodeo not getting his diaper changed.
July 8th, 2012, 08:44 AM
Calendula's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't know about it being a sign of being ready to potty train. Bea had started that, but we've found that if we have her go and get her diaper and wipes for us she'll usually cooperate, along with Arei_720's trick of having her hold it, them put back the rest of the wipes. The only part she won't do yet is put the diaper in the bin for us. She's big into helping with/doing whatever adults are doing, so that helps in our case.

July 8th, 2012, 01:06 PM
krsnow's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by shockandawe View Post
I have to wonder if he's not acting out because you're so close to delivering your next one. I feel for you - I can't imagine how hard this is on you trying to rein him in and keep your sanity. How have you been broaching the subject of him being a big brother? Maybe he's a bit spooked and regressing without even understanding it.
That is interesting, I hadn't thought of that. I really don't think he understands there is a baby on the way. He is a little delayed with speech, he only says a few words but doesn't really use words to communicate with me, so I'm not sure how much he understands when I talk to him. Once in a while I tell him there is a new baby coming, and he sees the baby room all setup. Other than that I don't focus on the new baby with him much. I think the misbehavior might have more to do with my DH working a lot of hours lately & my LO is very attached to him. There are some days my DH leaves before LO wakes up and comes home after he is in bed, so he doesn't get to see him at all. That combined with it being so hot out, that we don't play outside as much as we used to. Maybe there are too many changes going on right now.

July 9th, 2012, 07:31 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Wouldn't surprise me - I would put money on the fact that even though he's slow communicating, his comprehension is still pretty on point. Might think about baking in some dedicated family time and maybe schedule some family things on the weekends. I know that Maggie hits a couple guard rails on weeks when DH and I are "too busy".

Check out my BLOGS
Making Lemonade
MonkeyPieForTheWin

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search