HI!!! a) do you remember me? and b) how to wean the night bottle?!

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SaphireScorpion

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 27th, 2012, 08:16 PM
anickel's Avatar Loves her little Liam
WOW! It's been way too long since I've posted! I used to live on this site, and every now and then I will come on and read a bit here and there, but I just never seem to have the time to start new posts. Seeing the familiar names and photos reminds me of the "good ol' days" when Liam was a teeny tiny baby! It's awesome to see how all your little ones are growing!!! BUT I wonder if any of you remember me... I kept my name and photos the same in order to help with familiarity for those of you who were around since the very beginning. I hope you are all doing really well!

My question for you right now is about how to get Liam off his bottle before bed... he still drinks warm milk as our routine and I haven't had the heart to break him of that. Is it weird that he still has a bottle at all? He turned 2 in May. And he's still in an enclosed crib. Is that weird too? Am I the only one? He uses sippy cups fine during the day for water and milk, but at bedtime, he wants a bottle. When should they absolutely be off a bottle?

Help?

July 28th, 2012, 05:16 AM
kimmiejo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi! I remember you! Glad you are doing well!

As for the bottle I don't think it is weird or crazy, my kids gave up theirs easily so I never really had to deal with it, I have heard before that you could try slowly mixing water with the milk to water it down a little more each day until it's all water and then maybe he just won't want it any more? or there is always just going cold turkey but that might be painful for all parties involved, but you never know sometimes these kids surprise us LOL....Sam still sleeps in his crib too, he likes it and so do I because he stays in bed haha
July 28th, 2012, 08:11 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Welcome back! Your siggy reminds me of the old days with our little ones.

James is still in his crib. He has no interest in climbing out, so there is no rush for us to make the switch.

As for the bottle, everyone is different. So I wouldn't say it's weird that he still has one at night. I'm a member of the "cold turkey" club, but that only works if you're serious about giving something up and are ready to stick by it. We have changed the bedtime routine a couple of times in the last year and there was resistance the first night or two, but then it becomes the new norm and everyone is happy with it.

Kim's suggestion of slowly adding water to the bottle to change the taste is a good one. If he doesn't like the taste, he may just give it up on his own. Or switching the milk to water and then when he's used to that, switching the bottle for a sippy cup.

If you're all happy with how things are working now, there's no rush to change it. If he's 4 and still drinking a bottle, it would be weird, but he's only 2. I still think of them as babies.
July 29th, 2012, 08:17 PM
Thanks I'm glad it's not really considered 'weird' juuust yet. I still have a bit of time to get this sorted out or decide how and when to go cold turkey!!! eek! If anyone else has anything to suggest, please let me know!

July 29th, 2012, 09:33 PM
HippieLove's Avatar Modern Day Brady Bunch
Send a message via MSN to HippieLove
Of course we remember you so glad to see you around here again, we need an updated pic of Liam

Mianna is still in her cot (crib) I don't know about bottles as Mia has been off them for quite some time. She does however still have milk at bed time, but I give it to her in her sippy before we brush teeth and then she takes a sippy of water.

Emma, girlfriend of Loz, future step-mama to J (15) and K (10), Mama to Jaelah (8), Oliver (6), Mianna (4) and Harper (2),

July 30th, 2012, 01:16 PM
who_it_is's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi!!!

Noelle is still in her crib. We experimented with a toddler bed a few weeks back and it failed horribly. She's not trying to climb of her crib so back to it we went. I figure, if it's not broke there is nothing to fix.

As for the bottles, we did the slowly switch from milk to water over a period of about 2 months just after she was 1 at the dentist urging. I let her be with a water only bottle for quite awhile, until she was almost 2. Then switched that out for a soft spout sippy (the ones marked for 6+months) and kept that for about a month until we realized it was super leaky and making puddles, so we swapped it out for a regular sippy of water which is where we are at now. She doesn't even seem to think about it most nights anymore so if she doesn't ask we don't bother. But it was a slooooow process to go from 100% milk to 100% water for us, and we gradually reduced the amount of milk first, then started to add water about 1/2 an ounce at a time.

To the Amazing Kelly: Thank you once again!! Amazing only begins to cover it.
July 31st, 2012, 03:06 PM
Wow I hadn't even really thought of the dental ramifications... thanks for the ideas...
I like that he's still enclosed because he's quite active and I like that he's corralled in the mornings until I come and get him up But I know he can't stay a baby foreeeever When is the point when a child is "too old" for a crib?

July 31st, 2012, 07:54 PM
Leanne78's Avatar Nov 2012 DDC Co-Host
Confession here - I was still sleeping in a crib at 4 years old. Yeah, I actually remember being in a crib. I finally convinced my mom at 4 to buy me a twin bed with a canopy. I plan to move Akadia over to a regular bed before this next baby comes in November. And speaking of bottles, she is asking for one right now. The kid drinks out of a regular cup, but still wants bottles for her milk. And she also HATES regular milk, so is still getting toddler formula in place of it (we've tried 1/2 milk, 1/2 formula etc. Doesn't work.). She's pretty advanced in most other things, but the bottles she's been holding on to and I just haven't felt like fighting with her over it. My goal is to have her off them though by November too.

August 1st, 2012, 07:32 AM
BelloFiglioLA's Avatar LAH * CLH
Levi still has night time bottles. He asks every night. I feel like he should be off them too but it was a huge fight when we tried before. I never thought of doing water/milk to wean but I doubt he would go for it. I can already see the fit that would cause.

He is also still in a crib. It works, he likes it and I don't have any intention on changing it until he's too big or we have another baby. I like knowing that he is confined. lol

August 1st, 2012, 10:41 AM
kellysensei's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Gabriel still has a sippy cup of milk right before bed. It's his routine to sit down with Daddy on the couch and drink his milk while watching Baby First TV. That's how his morning starts, too. Can you try giving Liam his nighttime milk in a sippy instead of a bottle?

Gabriel would definitely still be in his crib if we didn't need it for his little brother. He won't sleep in his toddler bed, so he sleeps on the floor. Oh, well.

Evan James (2/18/12) and Gabriel Anthony (6/5/10)

August 1st, 2012, 02:37 PM
I'm so glad to hear we are not out of touch with the world. None of my immediate friends have kids so I don't have any of them to bounce this stuff off of. I've missed JM! As for the nightime sippy cup, I haven't actually tried it yet because months ago, I forgot a bottle for Liam's afternoon nap at daycare and she tried a sippy cup and he wouldn't have any of it. However, there was a time he didn't "need" an afternoon bottle before that nap, but he asks now. I'm just not as concerned about that because our daytime routines change much more often and he can adjust better for those. Plus, if his nap isn't exactly what I'd hoped for the daytime nap, he'll usually make up for it at night. BUT I'm NOT prepared to mess with his ability to sleep 10-12 hours straight at night... so that's why I'm more worried about the nighttime routine! But these ideas are good and I will try the watering it down a bit. But I'm not in a hurry now; I feel less anxious about it thanks to your comments!

August 9th, 2012, 09:42 AM
Veteran
Try adding something else warm and comforting to his nighttime routine, like a bath before bed (if he likes baths) or extra cuddle time, a story, instead of the bottle.
My daughter is still in a crib because she does not stay still unless she is confined. She is always running. She looks at books while walking/running around the house. Trying a toddler bed would result in her managing to injure herself in her room. Either that or we would have to move every toy and distraction out (including the fan, which she won't sleep without.) We're going to keep the crib until she is old enough to reason with a little more easily
anickel likes this.
October 11th, 2012, 01:57 PM
sarahb52's Avatar Veteran
My little boy Liam Archer still has a bottle at night but he's been on water for months now. However he's an escape artist so he's been in his "big boy" bed for several months now but that leads to him terrorizing his room (ripping the wipes out of their container, "drawing" with his bottle all over his room, throwing things over his baby gate (no door on his bedroom) etc....

With the new baby die in April I was looking to start weaning him for his bottle at night because the new baby will need them soon.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search