If your Lo's grandparents have passed away

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By shockandawe
  • 1 Post By noworries

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 31st, 2012, 06:40 AM
sfarrow3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Do you do anything to remember lost family members or to tell your LO about them and their lives? What do you do?

July 31st, 2012, 06:48 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Wow,
So my dad passed away in 1993. I have left one picture of him out in the house just because living with constant memories isn't easy, and it doesn't make me happier. In it, I'm sitting on his lap. I'm about 1 or 1.5 years old in the photo. She pointed at it on Father's Day and I told her that was Grandpa Eric, and she has since claimed that photo for her room. Every once in a while she asks where is Grandpa Eric, and I just tell her he's at home.

I'm not getting into particulars at her age. The fact that she's even attached to his photo and knows who Grandpa Eric is, is a big enough deal for me.

She has my step dad she calls Grandpa, and DH's dad who she calls Papa. She's got both grandmothers and a great grandma. I don't feel there's a need to teach her about heaven or any of that stuff yet. We'll deal with that when we absolutely have to. It's bad enough that I've had to live with it as long as I have.
sfarrow3 likes this.

Check out my BLOGS
Making Lemonade
MonkeyPieForTheWin

July 31st, 2012, 07:41 AM
noworries
My kids still have all their grandparents but Eva lost her little brother, Eli, when she was 20 months old. She loves talking about him and looking at pictures of him. She talks about him often. Isaac never knew him and is too young to really understand anything at this point but once he is older, I will make sure he knows about Eli. We have pictures of him up in our house.
sfarrow3 likes this.
July 31st, 2012, 12:46 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
We have pictures around the house, and she knows that the person is "Grandpa" but that's about it do far. As she gets older we'll talk more and explain his absence in an age-appropriate way.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

July 31st, 2012, 07:32 PM
birdblue's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My father passed away in 1990. We don't really have many pictures of him up in the house. In my bedroom i have my mom and dads wedding plaque, which has a picture of them from their wedding. And i have a picture of him holding me when i was about two.
I plan to tell Sam about him. Part of why Sam was named Samuel was because i wanted him to be named an "S" name in honor of my father, who's name was Shawn.
It's still difficult for me, i miss him so much...and i hate that my children will not know him. My father had a hard life...and he didn't have the best profession. When i would tell people what he did, how he died i could see the judgement in their eyes, in their voice. And when people are unaware of the situation they will say cruel things. I knew my father as a loving father, memories of being with him are some of the only happy ones i have in my childhood. It hurts me to think that my children won't have any memories of him so therefore they may end up judging him as others who did not know him do. I hope through my memories, and memories of him that his friends share...they will realize that he truly was a good, intelligent, loving person.

Thank you so much Jaidynsmum for the beautiful siggy!

August 1st, 2012, 11:28 AM
Trish36's Avatar Mom of 4
Sadly, my MIL passed away when Miranda was only a few months old. We weren't really close and she hardly ever saw the kids. One day I will tell her about her grandma, but sadly even my older kids didn't really know her well.

Project 365 - 2012: http://trisha2012.wordpress.com/

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my gorgeous siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search