Would you allow your toddler

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By shockandawe

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 20th, 2012, 06:03 AM
sfarrow3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
to be in a research study?

August 20th, 2012, 06:24 AM
noworries
Not for medication but for something else, maybe.
August 20th, 2012, 06:28 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Funny you should say that. Yes - we already have. BUT, I wasn't wholly comfortable with it right away.

I think it depends on what kind of study. The one that Maggie participated in was observational, and it was done at her preschool, by a university representative who was studying empathy and compassion in children. It was observational play with video recording and the appropriate statements were made about retention and usage of the documents/video.

I would not sign her up for anything more intrusive than observation, and nothing for a marketing purpose. The way I looked at it was if we don't study something, we don't learn it. I have the same philosophy about my own participation in things. And at the end of the day, I had to ask myself what I would be saying "no" to. Was it just because I didn't want anyone looking at her? Was it because I didn't feel comfortable talking about her participation in a "study"? Had I been watching too much sci fi (aka Fringe)?

So yeah, my line is with how intrusive a study is. Will she be connected to any machinery in any way? That will be out. Will her responses be manipulated in any extreme way? That will be out too. Even now though, I can tell I've watched waaaay too much sci fi and it's impacting my view of the world.
noworries likes this.

Check out my BLOGS
Making Lemonade
MonkeyPieForTheWin

August 20th, 2012, 09:24 AM
Irish_Wristwatch's Avatar Running with Scissors....
im not sure, maybe if it were just observational like what Becky described, but not for medication or anything intrusive

August 20th, 2012, 11:34 AM
i:heart:you's Avatar Super Moderator
I agree with what Becky as well, it would have to totally just be observational.

**Thank you Bokkechick for my awesome siggy**
August 21st, 2012, 05:32 AM
sfarrow3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
ummm.. I really don't think so.. but after reading Becky's response it has me thinking though...

August 21st, 2012, 06:03 AM
Mega Super Mommy
huh...so I hadn't even been thinking about medication when I wrote my response. If Maggie were ill with a severe disease and we needed extreme treatment, I would probably weigh everything pretty heavily and make as informed a decision as I could make. That all said, we don't have the same "expediting" of clinical trials that seems to happen in the US. I don't think it would be entirely off the table for me if it was her best chance at beating something.

Interested in your thoughts though Shantel. Why would you just say "No"? I'm not trying to stir up debate, but am really curious...it was not easy for me to say yes at all - and I really couldn't put the pin on why it felt so uncomfortable.

Check out my BLOGS
Making Lemonade
MonkeyPieForTheWin

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search