Financial Friday

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 16th, 2012, 06:51 AM
Platinum Supermommy
The month is 1/2 over, how are things going?

Do you set a budget for Christmas gifts? If so, do you usually stick to it?
November 16th, 2012, 01:13 PM
AtomicMama's Avatar CopperBoom!
Sort of. I've done okay so far. The kids are done, and that's good. I just have to be mindful of the last few gifts I have to buy. Also, I had a friend buy gifts for Max and Sam, so now I feel obligated to get something for her. That's tough because I typically don't buy for friends (just send cards). I just need to keep my gift list short.

November 16th, 2012, 05:56 PM
amonstersmomma's Avatar Coetta Dawn
We've done really well this month actually. We made a $500 Christmas budget that is presents for us 3 and any decor we buy. We've got all our Christmas shopping done for each other and have some leftover for decorations

November 16th, 2012, 07:35 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We've spent more than I would have liked to at this point in the month, but I also have almost all the Christmas presents done, so hopefully it balances out with December.

We have a loose budget for Christmas, meaning I have an idea of what I want to spend, but if we go over, it's not too big of a deal. Just means a little less will go to savings this month/next month. By the time we get gifts for the kids, my mom, my Grandparents, MIL,FIL, my younger sister, 6 Godparents, my niece, 2 Godchildren, the kids' teachers, the staff at the Y child care, and our donation gifts, it really starts to add up!
November 16th, 2012, 08:08 PM
The Heather's Avatar Jedi Master of Piffleness
Well...I splurged and bought myself an early Christmas present. I found a pair of skis that I bought. They were a really good deal and my dad is picking them up in Tahoe this weekend.

DH and I have talked a little about Christmas presents, but we haven't decided or planned on anything yet. We want to keep it reasonable especially since DH is commission only and doesn't have anything in the pipeline right now. The kids are each getting a "big" gift from Santa. Chase is getting his big boy bed from us, my MIL is buying the mattress for him and my grandma and aunt chipped in for his bedding. I'm not sure what we are getting for Tenli yet. So, between those things, our budget is higher than we would have liked. We will probably end up spending around $500 for the two of them! That doesn't even count presents for other people. Ugh...I hope DH gets some clients lined up soon!

November 17th, 2012, 08:33 AM
Meggie26's Avatar Megan
Send a message via MSN to Meggie26
I've never set a budget. Probably would be wise though. I only have two nephews to buy for (My sisters and I drew names and only buy for those kids) and then a gift basket swap type thing. I also need to shop for Chris. So it looks like I have a little room to shop with.

November 17th, 2012, 04:39 PM
white.house's Avatar Kelli
Our payday was the day we had Jude, so we haven't gone over this months budget yet! We keep meaning to, then fall asleep instead We'll try again tonight!
We've never set a Christmas budget because we've never had to buy many gifts. We probably will have one next year.

eli grey [9.15.10]
jude lawrence [11.9.12]

forever loving our best girl, finley [born still 10.30.11]
November 19th, 2012, 07:14 AM
~SavedbyGrace~'s Avatar ~Nichole~
I try and set a budget per person and stick to it...but not so much for the kids. I've pretty much been buying christmas presents for them since June, so I have way more than I need. I actually need to sit and figure out what I've spent. I made a spreadsheet of outstanding (waiting to receive) online purchases, but like a dummy didn't include the price. Possibly subconsciously on purpose.
November 19th, 2012, 08:29 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Nichole!

I always do a list too-start with possible ideas, then as I purchase I bold the font and add the price. It's helpful to see what I still need to get. Kids are now done except for getting the snack for Nathan and Lukas' stockings.
November 19th, 2012, 09:11 AM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We have not set a Christmas budget in the past but we will this year. It just hasn't been necessary before since Gabriel was so little. Now we will start to set a "fair" budget so in the future all the kids will have the same set amount to be spend on gifts. Now...we just have to figure out what that will be...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search