Potty Training...ugh

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By shockandawe

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 3rd, 2012, 06:02 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
I feel so far behind in this regard...anyone else not potty trained yet? Bringing the twins home put the brakes on things like that, but I think we are ready. We have been paci-free for a week now, so we are moving on to potty training.

The problem is...I have no idea where to start. Do I just sit her on the potty every so often? Let her run naked? Any advice at all on how to do this? I feel a little lost about how to do this!

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (3), Abigail (1) and George (1)

December 3rd, 2012, 07:15 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Is she showing signs of interest?

Honestly, here's what I learned...they train themselves to do this.

Maggie showed interest in going potty just around the time she turned two...We did awesome for like 3 days, and she even had a dry night, and had done both pee and poop, and then went to daycare and completely lost interest. And so I struggled, pushed, struggled, bribed, pushed again, tried again and again and again - made it as interesting as I could, gave her rewards of all kinds of measure. Then I gave up. Completely.

One day I went to her drawer to grab a pair of socks, and a little pair of hands reached up to feel around for what I was doing, and she discovered princess panties. She wouldn't let go of them, had to try every last pair of them on, and decided then and there that she would wear panties from now on. We've had 1 accident, and still wear a pull up at night - so seriously - take her lead on it. Don't kill yourself for this like I tried to do. These aren't the fights to live with.

Check out my BLOGS
Making Lemonade
MonkeyPieForTheWin

December 3rd, 2012, 12:17 PM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Honestly, no...she's not showing much interest. She has big-girl panties in her drawer and we talk about that she gets to wear them when she can potty on her chair like a big girl, but not once has she told me that she has to go. I guess I just feel pressure to have it done? And maybe I'm tired of buying diapers for 3 kids

Hmmm, maybe I should just relax. She's pretty stubborn, so I'm not sure pushing anything would work anyway.

Melissa & DH

December 3rd, 2012, 12:52 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I can imagine being tired of changing three of them...Yipes.

But yeah, if she's not showing any interest, I wouldn't be too pushy yet. I would say go gang busters when she indicates a level of interest, but be prepared for regression too. If she's stubborn like Maggie was, then she'll be interested in learning how to do it, and will make up her own mind when she chooses to move on to the next level.

In the meantime though, maybe count your blessings. After they learn and decide to do it, some days you could be in that bathroom like 86 times in the span of a couple hours. You think you're busy now? Oh yeah, and a potty training toddler is not as portable as they are when they are wearing diapers. Just something to consider. I'm glad I don't have to do diapers anymore, but I wish sometimes they'd jump right out of diapers into doing it all on their own. The in between training period is way more work than diapers!
KatieHeitman likes this.

Check out my BLOGS
Making Lemonade
MonkeyPieForTheWin

December 3rd, 2012, 04:37 PM
HeartHelloKitty's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Don't worry. Ellie isn't trained yet either. She will go in the potty sometimes but not always. I'm not really going to push it until I'm home next summer if she isn't trained by then.

December 3rd, 2012, 09:10 PM
Calendula's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Two isn't far behind! Especially with new babies. A lot of kids who are doing well seem to lose interest for a bit when new babies are around.

We've started putting DD on the toilet when we notice she's about to go #2. Peeing, she still doesn't indicate at all or seem to notice herself until she's already wet. I'm another believer in the theory that many or most kids are not going to successfully toilet train until they make the decision for themselves. Keep trying in a way that doesn't stress her out to encourage that lightbulb moment, but I don't think it is odd for someone her age not to be there yet.

December 4th, 2012, 04:51 AM
Celine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I tried a few months ago to potty train Sophia but gave up. She wasn't ready. I have a potty in our bathroom and she sits on it sometimes when I go and imitates me but not much else.

I got a couple of books on potty training and came to the conclusion (like the others said) that she isn't ready yet. And she will let me know when she is. I think I could push it more but why should I make more work for myself. I have enough already.

I am not looking forward to going to public restrooms with Sophia once she is potty trained.
December 4th, 2012, 06:47 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We had a small breakthrough last week- she actually got out of the bath to pee in her potty! But she's still wishy-washy on it. ATM she's in trainers, but she hasn't made any other serious efforts.

My older daughter was 3 when she started potty training, so we have lots of time.

December 4th, 2012, 07:47 AM
Irish_Wristwatch's Avatar Running with Scissors....
Ross isnt potty trained, im waiting until he shows interest, i hear that makes it easier. I dont think i will push it unless im still changing his diapers next christmas

December 5th, 2012, 07:15 PM
hilachu's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to hilachu
Liam is hot and cold with the potty
sometimes randomly he will tell me he has to pee
other times I will ask him and he'll say yes
most times he says no
and has yet to poop in the toilet, i only catch him in the act and by than its too late
he has only allowed me to put on underwear once on him
started crying to take them off after 30 seconds
**Sigh** wish this would be easy =)

December 6th, 2012, 07:31 AM
i:heart:you's Avatar Super Moderator
Tommy has absolutely not intrest in the potty. I'm not going to push it either, I think I will give him til the summer to show intrest, then I will push harder.

**Thank you Bokkechick for my awesome siggy**
December 6th, 2012, 10:30 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
Thanks, ladies! It is great to know that I'm not way behind everyone. I think I'm just going to relax and see if she shows interest in the next few months...I don't want to make us all miserable trying to force it if she's not ready.

Melissa & DH

December 8th, 2012, 06:28 PM
Trish36's Avatar Mom of 4
Not far behind at all, I only started training my DS at around 2 1/2 and Isabelle was almost 3.
Best thing to do is put her in undies and take her to the toilet every hour or so. As long as she's showing some signs of interest and understanding and isn't afraid of the toilet.
BTW your twins are too cute!!!!

Project 365 - 2012: http://trisha2012.wordpress.com/

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my gorgeous siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search