1-2-3-Magic

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 11th, 2012, 10:11 AM
Celine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Anyone doing this with their LOs? I just read about it. I am really trying to nip the tantrums in the butt and am going to try this 1-2-3-Magic. For those that don't know it: When your child misbehaves (especially tantrums) you count 1 put up one finger, then 2 put up the next finger and 3 is time out.

No talking, no yelling, no argument. Then after time-out is over no talking about what went wrong or why time-out happened.

Supposed to work like magic.

I started today. We'll see if it really is magical. I am so tired of the tantrums.
December 11th, 2012, 10:41 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I count to three. In fact, I'm so tired of counting to three that I actually made up a song last week and sang it instead. It started like this "Don't make me count to 3. We both know the already. Don't make me count to 3. It's so much better when you listen to me." Lucky me she laughed and still ran away when I was trying to put her boots on.

LOL...so we do the count to three and time out, but I don't leave it alone after that. We talk about why she went to time out and how not to make it happen again. For the most part she's an awesome kid. My worst trouble with her is that she does what she wants or talks back when I ask her to do something. Not that she flails and throws tantrums.

I did hear of 5 candles to help them calm down during a meltdown so they are easier to speak to. You put your five fingers in the air and ask them to help you blow out the candles. With each blow on your fingers, one comes down. It's supposed to be that by the time your last finger is blown out, they've calmed down and refocused enough to listen.

Good luck!

Check out my BLOGS
Making Lemonade
MonkeyPieForTheWin

December 13th, 2012, 07:57 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My issues with time-out are keeping her in it. She usually bolts the second I turn away, and if I'm standing there holding her in it, she spends the entire time trying to run past! Her dad has a better chance at getting her staying, but it's terribly frustrating when I'm there alone.

December 14th, 2012, 12:38 PM
krsnow's Avatar Super Mommy
I have been using 123 magic with my lo for a while. I haven't been consistent enough to say it works everytime but there are times he stops at 1 or 2. I'm going to get better at being consistent tho. A few of my friends swear by it & I have seen their kids listen!

December 14th, 2012, 02:34 PM
Celine's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by shockandawe View Post
I did hear of 5 candles to help them calm down during a meltdown so they are easier to speak to. You put your five fingers in the air and ask them to help you blow out the candles. With each blow on your fingers, one comes down. It's supposed to be that by the time your last finger is blown out, they've calmed down and refocused enough to listen.
That's a nice idea. But my LO has bad tantrum where she doesn't even realize you are talking to her. LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arei_720 View Post
My issues with time-out are keeping her in it. She usually bolts the second I turn away, and if I'm standing there holding her in it, she spends the entire time trying to run past! Her dad has a better chance at getting her staying, but it's terribly frustrating when I'm there alone.
What I do is I bring her back to her room - no talking. And the time starts over from when I bring her back. You can put a chair in front of the doorway and sit there with your back to the room or put a gate up (or close the door if nothing helps). So far the bringing back has worked for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krsnow View Post
I have been using 123 magic with my lo for a while. I haven't been consistent enough to say it works everytime but there are times he stops at 1 or 2. I'm going to get better at being consistent tho. A few of my friends swear by it & I have seen their kids listen!
That's good to know that it works. I have never seen anybody use 123magic in public or by friends. I have only had to use it 2 in a day since I started. I think she is figuring out I mean business. She does count along which is funny. I have to hide my smile and try not to laugh.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search