Potty training tips/advice

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By -Trish-

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 19th, 2012, 07:48 PM
mrsdaiwa24's Avatar Amy, soon-to-be-mama of 2
I thought those of you who have been through this (whether with your older kids or your Sweet Pea) might have some advice for those doing this for the first time. Any advice or strategies you could please share to help make this a quick and easy process?

We're starting after Christmas -- I can't believe she's ready!!!!!!!!!
December 19th, 2012, 11:04 PM
Happy Song's Avatar Nicole
I am potty training Beau and Tessa starting the day after Christmas.

IMO there are three stages to potty training.

Stage one: get them on the potty and catch them peeing on it. Them realizing this is what you want.

Stage two: They pee on command and will go when you take them.

Stage three: they realize they need to go potty and ask to go.

I have potty trained three kids. My fastest was Tyler. He was 2.5 and potty trained in 7 weeks. Scarlett was potty trained the week before her third birthday and took 3 months. Quinn I started at what maybe 2 and it took maybe 8 months but she became very constipated and it really hampered potty training.

My plans.

No pull ups/diapers except bed and naps.

Me sitting in the bathroom with one on each potty chair reading and entertaining.

Setting a time for the next potty time starting at 60 min and reducing the time every uneventful trip.

Wearing pretty panties, Beau has a Disney boys pack with cool stuff on them, like Buzz, Nemo, Sully. Tessa's are pink.

Giving candy for success. We are starting out with Skittles. I have 54 oz, so there is pleanty for mommy to get a candy when she peepees and big sister to get a candy when she pee pees etc.

I plan on dressing then so accident are soaked into their jeans and not my carpet.

When you take off the diaper their pant size goes down a lot so this should be interesting Beau wears a 12 month pant and Tessa wears the same!

Good luck Amy!

December 20th, 2012, 04:49 AM
emmiejack0810's Avatar MELANIE
First bit of advice - definitely make sure she is ready... If she is not 100% ready then it won't work...

We used the panties during the day and/or let her go naked... It did take about a month or so longer for the pooping in the potty to work...

She was quick about it and did fantastic - we also bribed for poop....

She is still not night trained but I am not worried about that...

Jackson is starting the process with the curiosity and sitting every once in a while on the potty but he is not 100% ready for no diapers yet...

good luck

Thank you BAM for this INCREDIBLE Siggy

December 20th, 2012, 05:05 AM
-Trish-'s Avatar Mom to 3boys & a Princess
I got Elaina used to the idea by wearing pull-ups....I hate pull-ups but I really just wanted her to get used to the idea of peeing on the potty. She did great, peeing maybe 8-10 times a day on the potty. She will even sit on the big toilet without a ring and LOVES peeing at every bathroom we come across while we're out. She wakes up bone dry so that's been great too. Again, I only did the pullups because I wasn't hard core training, I just wanted to introduce her to the potty. If I could go back and redo it though I probably wouldn't have done that and just started training immediately in the panties...she would probably be trained by now if I had.

Just two days ago I put her in panties and plastic pants only....Lot's of accidents so far but this is the way I trained Tanner and it worked like a charm...quick too. Today will be day 3 so I'm hoping for less accidents. Yesterday she had 3 or 4 I think but peed lots in the potty too. Her problem is she is very stubborn and if she knows that's what I want her to do she fights me about it. Morning is the worst because she wakes up dry (I have her in just panties at night too cause I don't want to confuse her putting a pull-up on) but she is a bear when she wakes up...screams and hollers...not a morning person. It takes a whole lot of patience and coaxing on my part to get her on the potty.

It's important if you go somewhere to keep her in her panties and take a change of clothes. Putting pull-ups on will confuse her. E went to gymnastics yesterday with panties on and did great, peed in their restroom afterwards, and we came home. She's an adorable little backpack with her name on it and we took that with a change of clothes just in case.

If Betsy isn't as stubborn and strong willed as Elaina, I bet she will do great right away.

Elaina was down to maybe 1 pee accident and 1-2 poop accidents a day then back tracked some. I think it doesn't help that she is cutting 2 molars right now and is very cranky and sensitive because of that.

She has a jar with gummy bears and chocolate crunch bars and she gets 1 for each successful potty...2 for poop, which has only happened a few times.

Last night after peeing on the potty I ran upstairs for about 10 mins. During that time she pooped her pants and she told Tanner "I poop in my pants shhhhhhh" while putting her finger to her lips LMAO really? Most kids really struggle with poop in the potty...

She always poops after lunch though so I'm just going to make her sit there today until it happens. She has lots of books by her potty and today we will do flash cards too (she loves those).

Accidents are going to happen but eventually they will learn they don't like the feel of pee running down their legs!!!

Elaina will pee on command. Right away if she's sitting on the big potty and can watch herself...she just needs to get where she is telling me she needs to go! Grrrrrr

You and Betsy will do fine mama, just stay patient, keep your cool....reward and dance and she'll do great!
Happy Song likes this.

Thank you so much Alethia for my GORGEOUS siggy!!

Last edited by -Trish-; December 20th, 2012 at 05:14 AM.
December 20th, 2012, 06:54 PM
Thanks for the great advice!!!!! So, I shouldn't use BOTH the pull-ups and the panties? It's either/or? What about at naps and at night time? She's waking up dry from naps but she's definitely NOT dry in the morning.

We're approaching this very cautiously. She will use the potty at home if we prompt her, but she only pees in it. Both of her daycare teachers have said that they think she's ready and we see it at home too. However, if I get the sense she's not that into it, we'll stop.

And they get PT'd in stages right? Pee first and then later comes the poop training?

Thanks so much!!!!!
December 21st, 2012, 12:40 AM
Happy Song's Avatar Nicole
Here is a link to some advice... Growing A Jeweled Rose: How I potty Trained my Daughter in 3 Days!

December 21st, 2012, 07:59 AM
Meggie26's Avatar Megan
Send a message via MSN to Meggie26
Definitely only emabark on that journey only if she is ready!

I don't really have any advice. Elliana decided right before her second birthday that she no longer wanted to wear diapers, so we got a potty chair and right after her 2nd birthday she was done with diapers. She even quickly trained for overnight.

Kierson has been fairly easy too. Rarely do we have accidents!

If you don't mind the whole naked baby-- That really helps until they get the full idea!

December 21st, 2012, 11:51 AM
Platinum Supermommy
All of my kids are backwards. The boys both poop trained before pee trained and Teresa seems to be following that. It's rare to haveto clean up a poopy diaper!

If you start and find she's really not ready, she's getting frustrated or you're getting frustrated, don't be afraid to STOP! Even though Lukas trained very late (3.75 years) when he finally got it, he got it and literally it was aweekend thing. Made me wish I hadn't spent months prior to that trying on and off. I am not pushing with Teresa at all. She's tries sometimes.

One thing that seems to help is finding something they want as a reward. Nathan refused candy, stickers, etc and was totally into getting CASH He would get to pick a coin out of the change jar when he went. He'd use the money to ride the rides at the mall. Lukas wanted Thomas trains (he knew I had a big stash of them that I only spent $1-2 on!) so with him he got one after being accident free for a day, then 2 days, then 3 days up to 7 days (and that happened all in a row!). Teresa likes getting her chocolate or cookie afterwards.

For me, I also found that if they don't pee within a minute of sitting there, they probably won't, but I know that's not true for all kids. I always make sure I tell them thank you for trying when they try but don't go.
December 21st, 2012, 01:38 PM
I wouldn't do pull-ups at all...they are just like an expensive diaper and soak up the pee so they can't feel themselves wet. My kids have always trained pretty quickly by wearing just panties. We are on day 4, almost 4pm and E had one poop accident and a little pee that came out at the same time...other than that she's done great. She even peed at 5am and 6am when she woke up way too early. I keep her in panties all night with a thick towel under her but she usually stays bone dry during the night. If Betsy pees a lot during the night I would use a diaper or pull-up then, but panties during naps.

Poop has always come last for my kids. E pooped on the potty yesterday but was very embarrassed about it for some reason. Kept covering her face even though I was cheering and dancing. Today wheni caught her ready to go in her pants she said GO AWAY and started throwing toys at me....not worried about for now, we'll conquer the pee first and catch what poop we can.

E also hasn't been too interested in the candy or stickers but loves bubbles so after every pee I blow bubbles for her for 10 minutes and she runs around and pops them

December 23rd, 2012, 07:16 PM
Houston, we have a problem......

On Friday when Betsy was at my mom's, she refused to let my mom put a diaper on her. I guess she had found a the stash of pull ups my mom keeps for one of my nephews and since kids in Betsy's class wear them, she knew what they were for. My mom had to put a pull up on her, so Betsy wore that for a while and loved it.

The problem is that we weren't going to start potty training until after Christmas, as it's been crazy the past couple of days and there's more of that to come. She is still refusing to wear a diaper, so right now, I've compromised with her and am letting her put a pull up over the diaper. I had been a bit undecided on which way to go -- pull ups or just underpants -- but I think once we're ready, I'll stop using the pull ups and just go right to the panties because now she's got a not-so-productive connection between the pull up and the diaper.

Oh, but she was soooooooooo proud to wear the pull up! She kept saying "I show that to daddy!" and wanted him to see her in the big girl pants. I hope this didn't mess things up too much.
December 24th, 2012, 02:18 AM
I think you're fine letting her wear pull-ups until you're ready to hard core train. Just explain to her that the panties are big girl panties and her pull-up is like a diaper. Some kids train with a pull-up just fine but it can take so much longer. If she is interested and doesn't want to wear a diaper anymore, I'm betting you'll have no trouble at all training her...but again, I suggest the underwear and plastic pants. Pee will still run down her leg and get on your carpet but its not that bad. If you put her in snug fitting leggings and socks it should soak up on the pee and save your carpet

December 24th, 2012, 10:24 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Teresa has been wearing pull ups too recently. I had them left from Lukas (they are a size 5, a little big on her) and since we haven't been CDing lately, I've gone thru a lot more diapers and I want to save the diapers for at night!

I think it's a step in the right direction that she wants to weat them. For some kids, just having the pull down/pull up motion of being more like underwear helps.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search