Toddlers and Technology

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Justjessie

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 30th, 2012, 04:49 PM
mrsdaiwa24's Avatar Amy, soon-to-be-mama of 2
If you let your toddler watch TV, how many minutes are they allowed to watch it per day?

If you let your toddler play with a smartphone, tablet, computer, or other computer-type thing, how many minutes are they allowed to play per day?
December 30th, 2012, 05:03 PM
amonstersmomma's Avatar Coetta Dawn
For TV Caleb watches a max of 1 show (30 minutes) a day, but some days he doesnt watch at all.

I let Caleb use my Nook whenever he asks he mostly listens to the "read to me" Dr Seuss books and Mickey and Toy Story books but there's some educational games on there too. He doesnt spend more than 10 minutes on it at a time so Ive never had to limit his time and it doesnt bother me as much as him watching TV does.

December 30th, 2012, 05:45 PM
WomanInTheMoon's Avatar Courtney
We suck. He needs a good hour or so of cuddling and quiet tv watching to chill out before bed. We just can't get him to go to sleep if we let him zoom around and then toss him in the bed. So, after 7 we all pile in bed and cuddle and watch teenage mutant ninja turtles.

December 30th, 2012, 06:21 PM
irish luck's Avatar *Callie*
So days they watch nothing. Other days I feel so bad but he gets an hour or more in our bed before we even start the day. I just can't start the weekend or working the late shift in the 5o'clock hour.

Days that they dont get up before the sun they get 30 mins before bed most days.

Weekends when we have nothing to do they do get more tv cus I will admit sometimes they overwhelm me. I hate myself for using the tv as much as I do some days but it is better than mommy losing her mind.

Gavin is tv addicted

Logan is not so much

they get to play the iphone some but probably not more than 30 mins a week

Logan plays his leapster some, I dont regulate it per say but he doesn't play it too much

THANK YOU Jaidynsmum
FOR THE GREAT SIGGY!

Gavin Betsy
December 30th, 2012, 06:56 PM
mrsdaiwa24's Avatar Amy, soon-to-be-mama of 2
Betsy still won't watch TV for longer than a few minutes. She'll ask me to play Cinderella or some other princess video, but after a minute or two, she stops. She'll tell you she wants to watch football with Daddy but again, after a few minutes, she stops.

She does play on the iPad. I probably let her play on it way too much -- I let her play on it when either I need to get something done without having a little helper around or when Mommy needs a break (like when we first get home from school/work). I try to limit her to 30 - 45 minutes a day because I figured that's what a kid who watches TV would get. It hasn't been all bad -- she loves watching educational videos (ABCs, Mother Goose rhymes) and she has several educational apps that she enjoys as well.
December 31st, 2012, 05:32 AM
Platinum Supermommy
On regular days we go without tv or with 20 - 40 minutes per day. On weekends and now on vacation, we are a little more relaxed with it and will let him watch a full movie. He never sits through the whole movie, he eats, plays with his trucks and watches his favorite parts. He is also a TV addict and we try to limit it as much as we can or else he will watch it too much. Other gadgets like phone or a tablet, he plays with when he sneaks it or when he is in the car and bored during a long trip. I have to admit there is much more TV during the cold months as it is often too cold to get out. We are out every day, several times per day in the summer.

Thanks Claire1979 for my awesome siggy.
December 31st, 2012, 08:47 AM
irish luck's Avatar *Callie*
def ditto to the more tv in the cold months, Gavin is not a fan of -10 weather with snow in his face. None of us like it when it is so cold that the ground is frozen but there is no snow

I can not wait til this summer when I have grass and a fenced in yard that I can see from my living room and kitchen it is my biggest wish for the boys as they get older be able to go play outside without me right beside them (like our last house on a busy busy street)

THANK YOU Jaidynsmum
FOR THE GREAT SIGGY!

Gavin Betsy
December 31st, 2012, 10:40 AM
AtomicMama's Avatar CopperBoom!
Totally depends on the day/situation here. If we are home and not doing anything, like today, I'll have the TV on a lot, since he doesn't really tune into it much. He'll watch for a few minutes and then go play and maybe glance at it occasionally. I just like the background noise, I guess?

He had the iPad a lot during the drive home for Christmas. Otherwise, he rarely plays with it.

January 1st, 2013, 07:55 PM
Justjessie's Avatar Really Just Angela
When I was a teacher and not a mom, I was not going to allow ANY TV or video games.

Then I had kids.

I let them watch as much/play as much as they want.

The older two turned out fine, with the exception of being just plain weird, and Jessica is no exception. We keep the TV on all day, she sits and watches, gets up to play, sits and watches...she likes the games on the ipad and books on there and to look through my pictures.

A plus thing about letting your kids watch a lot of TV...funny references at times =) Like Goofy says "Aw shucks" now if you give Jessica a random kiss, she'll say "Aw shucks!" and Justin reciting lines from Family Guy...yeah we laugh a lot =)
January 2nd, 2013, 07:20 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I don't monitor the minutes at all. The kids definitely watch more tv/play more video games in the cold months than they do in the summer. Normally if we go to the Y in the morning, I let Lukas and Teresa watch a show when we get home so I can do a few things around the house (and check in on the computer ) before we have lunch. Then Lukas usually plays on the ipad a little after we do his schoolwork. If they aren't feeling well, I don't mind them sitting more and watching/playing. Nathan usually only gets to watch tv/play games on the weekend because of school/homework.
January 3rd, 2013, 12:32 PM
white.house's Avatar Kelli
^ Ditto to Kris for the most part.

I don't monitor it and that's mostly because he doesn't seem like he really cares one way or the other if it is on. He plays with his toys and puzzles and books way more than he cares to watch tv, so at this point I just don't worry about screen time too much. This will probably change as he gets older. I know he enjoys certain shows, so I usually put one on while he eats lunch.

The iPad he gets when in the car for a car ride. Then sometimes when we are home I will ask him if he wants to do his "game" and he'll play with it for a bit (it's mostly puzzles and animal games that he wants to do).

eli grey [9.15.10]
jude lawrence [11.9.12]

forever loving our best girl, finley [born still 10.30.11]
January 15th, 2013, 09:41 AM
The Heather's Avatar Jedi Master of Piffleness
I don't limit or really even keep track of how much tv the kids watch. Some days they watch a lot and others they don't watch at all.

Overall, Chase doesn't really sit through anything except Super Why? right now. Tenli gets movie quiet time during Chase's nap time, so she lays on the couch and watches a movie each day.

I do monitor how much Tenli plays on her tablet. She usually only gets to play on her tablet when we are out somewhere or I need to get something done and she needs to be entertained.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search