The late afternoon Psychotic at my house

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 30th, 2012, 05:41 PM
WomanInTheMoon's Avatar Courtney
So, someone mentioned in a discussion on fb about a late in the afternoon toddler pissy time. Is this a known thing? Why have you people not told me it wasn't just my maniac?!

This kid can do pretty well for something like 70% of his day. One part of the day where I'm GUARANTEED he will be INSANE is from around 4 to around 6ish. He naps from 12ish to 3ish, and gets a snack after. I know it's not food or sleep. He ends up spending alot of that time screaming in time out. Almost every day. Throwing/hitting/kicking you name it, that's what he's doing during that couple of hours. By the time hubs gets home at 6:15+ I'm ready to HURL the hell boy at him. And of course, that's when HELL BOY flips over to gorgeous blonde cherub and wants to cuddle with daddy. Then daddy, the S H I T, says something BRILLIANT, like "I don't know what you're talking about, he seems fine to me"

Anyone? Anyone?

December 30th, 2012, 07:04 PM
mrsdaiwa24's Avatar Amy, soon-to-be-mama of 2
I've heard it referred to as "the witching hour" -- when perfectly good kiddos turn naughty and wreck havoc throughout the house. We have it over here -- not every day but there are many, many days when I'm about ready to run away.

Truthfully, I think it's a combination of things. Part of it is that even though they nap, they're tired. They might be bored from being cooped up all day or after being somewhere where they get tons of stimulation (like daycare, classes, or other fun activities), they come home and it isn't as much fun. We're tired from running around after them all day, doing chores, commuting, working, and whatever else we get stuck doing -- our patience and tolerance is low (or at least mine is) and I think that it just makes for a perfect storm for tantrums and fits.

All I know is that I hear more whining, more crying, and the word "no" more between 4 - 6 than I do all day long. Just keep telling yourself that it's only a phase.....it's only a phase.....it's only a phase......and if that doesn't work, let's book a trip to some tropical island and escape the madness for a while!
December 31st, 2012, 05:46 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Same thing here. It is always around dinner time and we often spend dinner with Milan going in and out of time outs, screaming and not wanting to eat. I have read in the books about this and it is normal. On work days we try our best to give him a lot of attention after day care before we turn to our dinner activities. We have learned that starting TV before dinner time is a bad idea as he would not want to turn it off to eat. Thank god DH is right here with me when this happens, we are able to alternate when one of us can't take it anymore.

Thanks Claire1979 for my awesome siggy.
December 31st, 2012, 03:32 PM
WomanInTheMoon's Avatar Courtney
The island idea is the best plan!

When do the books say they grow out of this?

December 31st, 2012, 05:26 PM
Platinum Supermommy
When they move out?

Not too much of issue with Teresa with this, but Lukas still definitely has afternoon crab sessions. I'd say at least once a week he gets cranky, often on Thursdays which is when he has swimming in the morning and so by afternoon he is extra tired. His are often hunger related, but he won't always eat a snack in order to avoid it! We have a bunch of funny time out pics that turned into odd nap places because he'd get in trouble for fussing, get put in time out, and conk out because he was exhausted.

For a lot of kids, it could also be the transition from child care to home, another parent coming home, etc. Change is hard for them sometimes.
January 1st, 2013, 07:47 PM
Justjessie's Avatar Really Just Angela
My older kids had this but Jessica doesn't. She did for a couple of months about a year back, from about 5-8 pm she was a bear. I don't know what causes it or when it stops!!!!!!!!!!
January 2nd, 2013, 08:39 AM
AtomicMama's Avatar CopperBoom!
Max has it, but his is from 11/11:30 until he is down for nap. He is a NIGHTMARE. He hits, kicks, cries, whines, throws a fit, and SCREAMS. It's attrocious. Dunley seriously thinks the kid has anger issues and tells me I'm being too blinded when I tell him it's normal 2 year old behavior (not acceptable, but not abnormal).

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search