Coughing

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ~Kris~

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 7th, 2013, 06:03 AM
Mom2#1Drakester's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Drake has had a cough for almost 2 weeks. It is not steady, he does not cough the whole day or night away. But when he does it is a pretty bad cough. For the last 2 nights he has woken up at 3AM coughing and then just falls back asleep. I am not sure what to do. He is running no fever and has been in great spirits. I have run to the doctor in the past to really no avail. They just tell me it is something that would not respond to antibiotics and do nothing or occasionaly give him a steroid shot (which i don't notice do much) We have a nebulizer and I have been giving him treatments but that has not helped yet either. I just feel terrible when he wakes up at night hacking like he is. Anyway what would you do? wait it out as long as there is no fever etc? I hate taking him to the doctor b/c he screams the whole time once we get back in a room and I leave all stressed and it seems like nothing ever comes of it anyway.

thank you tasha_mae for the great siggy!
January 7th, 2013, 08:18 AM
-Trish-'s Avatar Mom to 3boys & a Princess
Hmmm, the doctor doesn't give you any ideas of what is causing it? Is it allergies maybe? I wonder if a dose of Benadryl at bedtime would help? Sorry I'm not more help, I really have no clue.

Thank you so much Alethia for my GORGEOUS siggy!!

January 7th, 2013, 11:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I remember when my daughter was about Michael's age and started a daycare she came down with a virus which went away in a week or so but her cough was lingering for a month or so. We took her to the doctor and he prescribed some cough medicine with codeine and also we had to do nebulizer treatments with albuterol which is a steroid. I remember we had her to do the nebulizer twice a day for 10 min each time. It was hard to have her sit still but we did it. After a few weeks her cough went away. Don't know if it was the medicine , nebulizer or both.
Anyway, i hope he feels better soon , it's hard when they get sick.

January 8th, 2013, 04:44 AM
Mom2#1Drakester's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
the size of our albuterol applications gives like a 3 minute treatment but we do them every 4 hours. Drake randomly loves the nebulizer now LOL. The nurse line told me it sounded like post nasal drip and said to squirt saline in his nose and use a snot sucker. I did this but nothing is coming out. I can hear he is very congested somewhere up in his nose though. Thankfully no coughing in the middle of the night last night but he woke up this morning coughing. I hope that means it is getting somewhat better

thank you tasha_mae for the great siggy!
January 8th, 2013, 05:26 PM
irish luck's Avatar *Callie*
I hope he gets better soon. Gavin just had a cold and he coughed only at night for 3 weeks after it. It has finally gone away, hope Drake's does soon too!

THANK YOU Jaidynsmum
FOR THE GREAT SIGGY!

Gavin Betsy
January 9th, 2013, 06:41 AM
Platinum Supermommy
For coughs, I use Vicks on the chest/back (and sometimes feet) and have them sit in the bathroom while I run the shower on the hottest setting and let the tub fill up. It'll make the bathroom very steamy and usually makes them cough while in there, but the steam/Vicks help break up the mucous in their lungs and the coughs are more productive at getting the gook out.

I do that if they are really congested, which usually means they've also woken at night for coughing that lasts longer than a minute or so. So then I do the steam for a few nights and it has always taken care of it.
mrsdaiwa24 likes this.
January 9th, 2013, 08:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I do Vicks on chest, feet, back and some at the top of the nose too when they have runny nose or congestion. Also put J&J Vapor bath wash during bath time. I also use Nose Frieda to get the mucus out of the nose. There is always something comes out.

January 11th, 2013, 10:10 AM
AtomicMama's Avatar CopperBoom!
Max has a cough often. I use a humidifier in his room and rub pepermint oil in coconut oil on his back, chest, and soles of his feet. Basically it's the same as Vick's, but I'm cheap and I have the peppermint oil on hand all the time. I also avoid the doctor as much as possible, so we don't go in unless it seems necessary. If he doesn't have a fever and is in good spirits, and if the cough doesn't seem to keep him up for an extended period of time (he goes right back to sleep easily), then I'd probably just treat the symptoms until it goes away.

January 13th, 2013, 11:34 AM
mrsdaiwa24's Avatar Amy, soon-to-be-mama of 2
I think the ladies have given you some great ideas, but I'm going to throw an idea out here: Betsy had such a bad cough last month that I had to bring her in to the doctor. They ran a chest X-ray pan her and determined that she had the beginnings of pneumonia. Thankfully, it was only the beginnings and it appears to have cleared up by now but I almost didn't take her in. I'm not trying to scare you -- like I said, I almost didn't take her in and if I hadn't, it would have gotten worse.

I hope he's feeling better soon!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search