First Pet

Forum: 2010 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2010 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 13th, 2013, 09:53 AM
Heaven's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What would you recommend we get for a first pet for J (something low maintenance lol) And is this the right age to get one or should we wait?

I have to say that we didn't grow up with animals in the house and I'm still a little reluctant to get one for her but she's been asking and I figure that when the new baby comes, it might be a good distraction for her?!
February 13th, 2013, 11:56 AM
Nicole1110's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We are kind of struggling with the same decision. I really, REALLY want to get a dog... because the idea of having a furry little friend for Major makes my heart melt. BUT, then I think of the dog hair all over my house, the possible chewing up my furniture and then where to send him/her when we take trips and stuff and it makes me second guess myself. I have loved the past 2+ years of not having a pet. Major would absolutely love a cat.... but I can't do the litter box thing. I did it for many, many years and I just won't... can't... ew.

DH and I have considered getting him a box turtle. I had turtles growing up and they are easy maintenance and cheap to feed. But, they're not the most exciting pet in the world. I don't want to get him a pet just for the sake of getting him one. I want him to enjoy it. So yeah, I'm at a loss.
February 13th, 2013, 07:32 PM
karenwalter's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We live dogs, but we are waiting as long as possible to get one. I figure eventually we're going to have to get one for him, so I'm enjoying not having the extra work right now lol.

Connor does have a turtle that lives in the back yard. It's low maintenance and he seems to like it. That's enough for us right now.

. Thanks .hOOdihoo.this. for another beautiful siggy!

February 13th, 2013, 09:25 PM
RobinJS's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would stick with a fish while expecting and then consider a cat or a dog once new baby is settled in. Fish aren't very interactive but taking care of a new animal and a new baby is a bit much. If you have animals prior to bringing a baby home, you sometimes get behaviour issues I've heard. When you've made a decision to get a pet, I would consider your lifestyle. I think cats are easier except for the litter box but you still have to pick up poop after a dog and take them on daily walks. If you don't have a fenced yard you have to take the dog for a walk a few times a day. Also you have to consider how long you're away from home during the day for work. Cats are easier for people who work outside the home during the day because most young dogs can't wait 8 or more hours a day to go pee. As for hair around the house, there are lots of low shedding breeds, I would suggest a poodle cross? But maybe Shannon R. or Tammy can suggest a low maintenance breed.

Eli Gunnar 1.11.10

February 14th, 2013, 06:39 AM
Yeah....about fish....we got two a couple of months ago (just the plain old goldfish) and they didn't last a full day!!! I think they had water shock.

I definately wouldn't get a dog... i'm more of a cat person but even cats i find them to be in the way sometimes. I had a kitten for a while and it drove us nuts but we also lived in an apartment then so i don't know.

I was thinking maybe a small bird...something thats contained for the most part but you can take it out to play a little. Or a little furry friend (hamster?).

Problem is, i know I will be the one responsible to look after any pet we get...and I'm afraid of most animals. I'm so lame lol
February 14th, 2013, 11:53 AM
Platinum Supermommy
hamsters bite!! if you're looking to get a small furry critter, get a gerbil or a rat. Several years ago, I had a female pet rat (Big Momma Hoku Loni Susie Rat Nash - or "susie" for short. ). She only bit me once, and it was because i was feeding her cheetos and she smelled the cheese on my fingers...and it was a quick bite & release when she realized it wasnt food. I learned quickly to wash my hands after handling food if i was going to be messing with her. she was awesome. I would recommend a pet rat to anyone. I've honestly never heard of a rat biting out of fear or aggression....but i suppose it has happened before. Mice, on the other hand, are biters.

Gerbils arent typically biters, either. But they are escape artists! they chew through plastic cages & squeeeeze through wire ones, so you have to put them in clear aquariums, with mesh lids.

(i worked for PetSmart when i was 18,19ish <--- i say that, just to point out that i'm not some critter obsessed person, i just heard a lot from customers who looooved to talk about their animals. lol )

Last edited by *~*; February 14th, 2013 at 12:32 PM.
February 14th, 2013, 12:10 PM
Nicole1110's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was bitten by a hamster as a kid and it drew blood. Needless to say, I hate rodents lol. And birds are ridiculously messy... So prepare for that if you consider a bird. We had birds when I was little and they were a real bore.

Major
February 14th, 2013, 12:42 PM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ugh...that's a tough one.

We have a cat and a dog that we had already when Grace was born. I would prefer not to have any more pets...not for a long time!

Cats are fairly easy EXCEPT for the litter box if they are indoor cats, and the hair. Those things drive me crazy.

Dogs...well, they do require more attention than cats, and especially when they're puppies. I can't imagine having a toddler/preschooler, a new baby, and a puppy. Shoot me now. But yeah, there are breeds that don't really shed or need tons of exercise, that are really good with kids. Of all the choices, I do think Grace would like a dog the best, probably. We had a fabulous dog when I was growing up, and other than the shedding, she was perfect. The dog we have now, though, is a complete mess (he's a Beagle). As cute and cuddly as he can be, he is very high maintenance and stubborn.

Birds...I'd never choose to have a bird. My grandma and aunt had birds, and we did too, for a short time. Very messy, can be loud, and they're not that interesting. Grace does like to try to interact with my sister's bird, but I think if we had one, she'd lose interest.

Fish...meh. I don't see Grace staying interested in a fish. And then there's the tank to clean out. Ick.

We had tons of hamsters as well as a gerbil, and even some mice, growing up. I never had too much trouble with biting, though the gerbil bit more than the hamsters. I LOVED all of them as a kid, though, but I was older than our kids are now. I don't know how a little kid would do with them. If I were going to go with anything in this category, I'd get a guinea pig. In my opinion, they're easier to handle, can be very sweet, and I've never had one bite me.

Are you pumping for your little one? Planning to pump?
Have a question or need support? BTDT and have wisdom to share?
Join us in the Pumping Mommies board!

February 14th, 2013, 01:06 PM
MominNOVA's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We didn't have pets when my boys were under 7. It was hard enough for me to work , bring kids to daycare and do the rest of my responsibilities (much of the time I was a single parent too.)

The boys got hamsters when they were 7 , and yes, they bite and escape.We also got a cat at that point. Cats are definitely easily than dogs, but there can be allergy issues.

When Tula's dad was nine we got a Lab puppy. DS was old enough to be helpful with the puppy's care and really loved having a dog....we all did.

February 15th, 2013, 05:57 AM
Omg...forget rodents...didn't realize they bite and I'd never consider having a rat!

I think we'll stay pet-free for a while until she really really starts insisting. Not sure I'm ready for the headaches now. Thanks for the feedback!!!
February 15th, 2013, 08:59 AM
*Izzy's*Mommy*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Guinea pig for sure! They are big enough to be held, don't bite, and will eat lots of your extra/old fruits and veggies. You will need to clean the cage, but they are good pets for kids. They aren't as sketchy as rabbits. Rabbit's are NOT good pets for kids. Any of the small rodents would be too tiny for a 3 year old. They live on average for about 5/6 years, so be prepared for that. So many people dump them at our animal shelter when their kids outgrow them. I don't think Jenna would because you're getting it for her at such a young age.

I'd get one for Izzy if we didn't have dogs that would scare it to death....

RobinJS likes this.

February 15th, 2013, 11:10 AM
sarahlorrain's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We are cat and dog people. We have 5 cats, and 1 dog (about to be two, Clare is getting a puppy in 2 weeks but that's another story). We train the cats to ask to go out. It's hard, and kittens usually have some accidents before it's done. Our youngest one still thinks dh's closet is the place to go, so she's not allowed in for a while. Cats and dogs are more interesting than most other pets, but yes, more work for sure! Plus, their vet care can be a little pricey, especially if you have two that get sick at the same time. In the last month, I've spent almost $300 at the vet's office, but that's not EVERY month so we can swing it.

Owner of HomeJobsForMom.com
February 15th, 2013, 01:01 PM
Koti's Avatar Nugget's Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Koti Send a message via Yahoo to Koti
I absolutely hate birds and don't understand why anyone would have one as a pet. I also hate freaky looking critters like crabs and snakes, so never those. I've never been able to keep a fish alive. I had a hamster before and she was nice but she never stayed in her cage. If anything I would want a cat or dog, but the dog I would be picky about. I just hate the fact of poop, pee, and hair in my house. I don't know if we'll ever have pets.
February 15th, 2013, 11:39 PM
RobinJS's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I like the guinea pig idea. It's the only rodent I would consider owning.
*Izzy's*Mommy* likes this.

Eli Gunnar 1.11.10

February 16th, 2013, 08:12 AM
LadyCoconut's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Definitely a guinea pig! I keep planning on coming bak to this tread when I'm on the computer and chiming in and adding pictures.

February 17th, 2013, 11:16 PM
^does lily have one?
February 18th, 2013, 06:16 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Good post! Dashaun wants a dog and Im just not ready for that. Then I was thinking I don't want to clean a fish tank either. Never thought about getting a guinea pig. Nice, clean, calm, low maintainence is the type of animal we need

February 18th, 2013, 05:29 PM
Sally5's Avatar Exhausted Mommy!
We have these very, very, very low maintenance frogs...
You feed them twice a week and change their water every 3-4 months. You never take them out etc... Very low maintenance.

Wild Creations - Press Releases

I bought ours at Learning Express for Christmas.

~~~~~~
February 19th, 2013, 07:17 AM
LadyCoconut's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaven View Post
^does lily have one?

No, she doesn't. I'm more of a dog person but if I were ever going to get her a rodent it would definitely be a guinea pig. I had one in high school and lovvvvvved her. I was devastated when she passed away. I later got two more.

They are sweet and they make noise (happy "wee wee!" noises) and purr and they'll eat carrots and veggies and stuff out of your hand. They snuggle up and run around and have personality. I was never bit by one. They're a good size so you don't worry about them getting squished or lost but not huge. They do need a lot of space though. That's what I meant about adding pictures.

At the pet store a large cage for a guinea pig is like $100 and its not actually big enough for them to have the space they deserve. Plus the sides aren't that high so when they get excited and hop around they can kick out some of the bedding. If you google C&C cage you'll find tutortials on how to make a proper age.

We made one and it was easy to do and cost about $33 and was more than big enough for two pigs. We made the sides tall enough that they didn't kick out bedding when they hopped around.

jack:

gus:

Anyway I think they are good pets b/c youd on't feel terrible leaving them home alone all day while you work... but they do show excitement over food and being pet and played with, so they have some personality to make the care worth it, vs. fish or other animals that don't care about you at all, lol. They live 4 or 5 years on average.

February 19th, 2013, 04:36 PM
*Izzy's*Mommy*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Love the set up you had for them, Shannon! Perfect for them.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search